IGNORED

Metric Halo review

>LIO-8 versus the spankin' new Weiss DAC202, now this would be the mother of all Firewire DAC battles! They're price-matched too.

Actually they're not. The LIO-8 is $4,000 and the DAC202 is $6,000, or perhaps $6,500. Still, it's the comparison I'd most like to do right now.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

ted_b, where do you live? Would you be interested in adding a Berkeley Alpha DAC to the comparison?

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

I had the chance to compare the uln-8 to the Berkeley Alpha and the UNL-8 (amarra 4) was the better of the two by a smallish margin. When you consider the expanded functionality of the MH product the choice becomes pretty clear for the Mac user at least.

We're back to the the old problem of international products and pricings...

UK prices

Metric Halo ULN-8 (can't find a LIO8 price) £4700 (rounded)

Weiss DAC 202 £4300

US

Metric Halo ULN-8 $6000 and LIO-8 at $4000

Weiss DAC 202 reported as around $6500 (sorry no link).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Sorry.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Jp11801, how would you characterize the sonic differences between the Model 4 and Berkeley? Also, what source and interface did you use when making the comparisons? I have the Berkeley and have found that it's sonic character is impacted the jitter and noise of the interface. I'm getting the best sound from a Hiface vs.my Lynx AES16 card.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

The Alpha was brighter and had a bit of top end haze compared to the uln-8 (amarra 4). They were both part of a high end headphone rig at a meet I ran. The alpha was fed the digital signal from the amarra 4 from a Mac running the amarra software.

Thanks JP. Since you were using the Model 4 as the interface I suspect you were hearing the Berkeley at it's best. I also hear this same high frequency zing/haze. I'm looking forward to trying the LIO-8 in my own system. I've heard that the new Antelope Zodiac DAC is very nice, but falls short of the ULN-8/LIO-8.

Oddly I wanted to really love the Alpha and it is really great just came in second it a few go rounds, against a spectral dac and also the OMG new Spectral CDP ( but I refuse to spins the shiny silver discs anymore and pay $20,000 for a cdp)

It is a great sounding unit and if you did not place it up against the ULN* or spectral units you might be hard pressed to hear the top end minor slights. It really is a top flight dac.

hi earflappin,

I am thinking about to get a M2tech hiface or Lynx aes16e, which one you think is better (hiface or aes16)? Does Lynx aes16e sound much better than M2tech hiface? Since Lynx aes16e is much more expensive than M2tech hiface. Thanks.

Bearvv, sorry for the lag in responding. In my system feeding the Berkeley Alpha DAC I prefer the Hiface by a small margin. It sounds "cleaner" and slightly more resolved than the Lynx AES16. Unless you need dual wire AES which the Lynx supports, personally I'd recommend getting the nodded battery powered Hiface that John Keny provides. It still costs less than the Lynx and running on clean battery power the Hiface will increase it's lead on the Lynx. As usual YMMV.

that my initial impressions of the LIO-8 were very good, and that the differences between my Weiss DAC2 and LIO-8 were mostly system dependent and within the category of "personal preferences." Neither DAC is anything less than what I would call world-class. That being said, with my system and my preferences, the LIO-8 is proving to be the better match to my newly demo'd Modwright KWA 150 monoblocks; while the Weiss marries up better with my Spectron Musician III Mark 2 monoblocks. The Weiss slightly warmer and slightly thicker midrange and upper bass qualities offset the Spectrons very nicely, while the LIO-8 excels in soundtsge width and depth, along with a more transparent, airier presentation. The silky quality of the MW amps fits in very nicely.

More to follow; that's my week one appraisal. The MH LIO-8 is one amazing DAC.

Hi Ted_b, I just bought a pair of Spectron Musician 111 Mk2 mono block amps which I hope to receive in 2 weeks...bought without hearing them??? How do you like yours.

I'm looking into setting up a Mac mini with a DAC for playback in my home. First off, I'm a little confused, what is the main difference between the MH UNL-8 the LIO-8 and the Amarra Model 4.

A month ago I was at an audio show and was blown away by this simple little set-up ...Mac Book pro with Amarra software and Amarra Model Four DAC!! Wow!! Was that ever transparent. I don't remember what speakers they were but they were self powered/built –in amp. One thing I did notice was when the volume was turned up, it seemed to fall apart or was almost unlistenable. Is it possible that the system was just too resolving, or possibly the Dire Straits tracks were just not a great recording?!? Not sure.

Are you able to turn yours up with good results.

Do you run your Spectrons with a pre amp or direct from a DAC. I was considering the Joule Electra LA150-Mk2 tube pre being fed by either the Ayre Qb-9 or the Amarra model Four or a MH.

Do you have any Dac recommendations with the Spectrons...

Regards, Steve

don't hijack it too much....PM me and we'll discuss.

The ULN-8 and LIO-8 are the same DACs, with the newer LIO-8 simply introduced without mic preamps in order to lower the price for those of us who don't record or don't record much. What's great is that MH has allowed buying addtl mic preamps and basically losing no $$ doing it that way (i.e easing into a ULN-8).

The ULN-2 is a an earlier and slightly lower quality DAC for MH; it is also just 2 channel. It is much less $$ and redefined the under $2k DAC market (will be very interested what Wyred4Sound and Antelope do in their new $1500-2000 range DACs).

The Model 4 is Sonic's version of the ULN-8, but with different console and EQ software.

I myself would be very happy if they put this tech that is in the Lio and the 8 and replaced the two with it, This would be a great price point but we all have to remember they are a pro company and the audiophiles make up a very small percentage of the clientele. I would like it but have my doubts we will see a 2 channel version anytime soon. If I was real honest I would prefer non pro connectors though that can be worked around easy enough obviously. We can hope that antelope especially is that product from another company. They have the knowledge now we have to see what the results are, if someone comes up with that product that will drive down the price of Berkeley in the used market if that is your cup of tea so many of us would benefit. I could see going 3k for me for a great dac but 4 plus with features I have no need for is doubtful. This is all my opinion but I feel I have to not alone in this. I know I would be interested in a 2 channel Metric if was around 3k not 4k and 8 channels that I do not need or want. I know I am cheap :).

Mac Book Pro, HiFace, Cary Exiter Dac, Focal speakers, JL Audio sub,plus cable and cords from Audio Art and Shunyata, Hydra powered by Cambridge Audio