IGNORED

Metric Halo review

I misunderstood your earlier comment about the 'gain being higher'. I thought that perhaps you were concerned about it. sounds like you want the higher gain?

I use '-10' setting so that I can run the MIO volume setting much nearer to unity (0db) when connected direct to my J2, which has only 20 db Gain to start with.

IOW, I'm using a much lower gain approach overall (than you appear to be) to minimize potential deleterious effects of the software-based volume control.

Clay

To me having all the inputs is like using an FM stereo receiver for serious listening. I guess I like having one device that is the very best at what it does. I feel like more thought goes into the only task the DAC will have to perform since it will have to withstand all the reviews, good or bad, as a one trick pony.

Though it seem like Metric Halo is good at integrating everything well, from what I've read, I think that S/PDIF AES/EBU is added for utility & versatility, since serious recording is usually done using firewire.

BTW that Ayon Skylla DAC costs 5,000 Euros. Quite a bit for 44.1/1 USB input.

Regards,

Larry

My ULN-2 arrived today. I want to be sure I am using it correctly, so let me pose a couple of questions to you experienced users. I am feeding Firewire from the Mac Mini into the ULN-2 and taking its analog outputs -- via TRS adapters and balanced interconnects -- into my preamp.

1. Should I use the wall wart power supply or just let the ULN-2 power via Firewire?

2. Which template should I use (or start with)? Do I need to make any adjustments?

3. Is there any trick to this -- I mean, music is playing through my system, does that mean I must be doing everything right?

Dan

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

congratulations Dan,

1. Should I use the wall wart power supply or just let the ULN-2 power via Firewire?

Either way works, you may need the WallWart to boot up, depending on which Mac you're connected to, some of the more recent Macbook (pros) reportedly don't provide enough juice for booting.

"2. Which template should I use (or start with)? Do I need to make any adjustments?"

ULN-2 Basic Setup is the simplest template, and works for most everything, except Toslink. If you want Toslink, there's some tweaking, as TOslink (re-)uses ADAT

"3. Is there any trick to this -- I mean, music is playing through my system, does that mean I must be doing everything right?"

No tricks, although, as I recall, the ULN-2 will always work right out of the box on the initial boot up, but perhaps requires setup for second time you use it (or maybe just the first time you open MIO). Apologies, it's been a long time, so perhaps I'm mistaken. You probably haven't even opened MIO yet, right? If you do, and there's no sound, just select the ULN-2 Basic Setup from the template (popup) window, and you're back in business.

The ULN-2 has the concept of a boot state, and will save the last settings (and and a total of 10 possible states) so that you don't require opening the MIO software. I use MIO for volume control now, driving my amp direct.

The ULN-2 has more possibilities than even most recording engineers can imagine, but is STILL very simple to setup and listen as a pure playback DAC.

Search YouTube for Metric Halo videos - there are several.

Check the back panel, you probably want the '-10' setting - for consumer devices. '+4' is for a hotter, pro signal.

Ping me off line for more detailed questions, if you want.

welcome to the club!

clay

Hi Dan,

Congratulations and welcome to the club!

I think Clay already covered your questions.

If your ULN-2 (also called a MIO interface) can boot with just a Firewire connection, you can power it from the Mac. (Obviously, if you want to use the ULN-2 standalone, you'll need the power supply connected.)

The template you choose is really just a starting point. Once you know your way around the Console (the software that comes with the MIO), you can create a custom setup that includes only what you want and nothing else.

There is much to explore, so have fun.

I'd also suggest joining the MIO Info list, where questions can be answered by B.J. (the designer) himself, along with the legions of users who have lots of experience with the MH hardware and software.

https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/mobileio

Enjoy!

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. It's nice to have a cheering section.

My initial impressions...well, I should let it run in for a day or two first and listen to it for a while before I make any public comments.

Dan

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Barry says:

"I'd also suggest joining the MIO Info list, where questions can be answered by B.J. (the designer) himself, along with the legions of users who have lots of experience with the MH hardware and software."

https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/mobileio

Agreed, but just recognize that the MIO forum is mostly comprised of people hashing out issues, i.e. Support type questions, as opposed to Audiophile forums which can turn into kool-aid stands, where people chit-chat about the advantages of I2S input, etc.

clay

Hi Clay,

That's a riot. But it's probably the reason ie a Weiss Minverva costs $2,000 more than the DAC2. That's for the aggravation caused by audiophile questions. Really, look how many posts this thread has so far. The question was probably answered in the first post by Barry. I'm guilty myself of perpetuating this kind of behavior.

Metric Halo has no idea what they in for by selling their units to audiophiles. I suspect Barry will be promptly removed from their web site when they find out he's part of the problem over here.

Regards,

Larry

Hi Clay,

"Agreed, but just recognize that the MIO forum is mostly comprised of people hashing out issues, i.e. Support type questions, as opposed to Audiophile forums which can turn into kool-aid stands, where people chit-chat about the advantages of I2S input, etc."

For sure, it isn't a chat group.

But for folks who have operational questions about MH gear, I know of no better source of info.

Best regards,

Barry

Hi Larry,

"Metric Halo has no idea what they in for by selling their units to audiophiles. I suspect Barry will be promptly removed from their web site when they find out he's part of the problem over here."

;-}

This is not news to the MH folks, with whom I've had many a conversation and who have been to my studio to hear their gear with the Maggies.

(They also know I wouldn't be behind anyone asking for an "audiophile" version of their gear, since I consider it audiophile -in all the good senses of the term, the ones that count- already.)

Best regards,

Barry

"Really, look how many posts this thread has so far. The question was probably answered in the first post by Barry. I'm guilty myself of perpetuating this kind of behavior."

Just to be clear, I think of CA as more like a bar, and the manufacturer-specific forums as kool-aid stands. And as everyone knows, you don't bring kool-aid into a bar. AA would be like a dive bar - bring your own knife (and stay out of the gunfights).

"Metric Halo has no idea what they in for by selling their units to audiophiles. I suspect Barry will be promptly removed from their web site when they find out he's part of the problem over here."

Barry is prominently featured on their site, so I think he's safe. It's the naive audiophiles who might 'pester' BJ with inane audiophile-only questions that might be summarily dismissed, and not by BJ, but by the other forum members. :)

There was a thread recently where someone asked about re-purposing an Apple power supply, in replacement of the MH provided PS - due to perceived increased ruggedness, not improvement in sound, to be clear.

In so many words, the response came back, from a very highly regarded member there - forget this nonsense, you should use what God (BJ) gave you. :)

Now, I'm kidding, of course, the Forum is incredibly valuable and helpful, and I monitor it constantly, but ... if you ask people there whether they are using the latest trendy PS, or rhodium plated connectors, or fancy Firewire cables, you'll likely get quizzical looks, and comments like the above.

enjoy,

clay

Hello Stian,

I would like you to post your impressions about the ULN-8 compared to the FF Sabre DAC.

Especially if you find the Sabre DAC better - and if yes, in what ways.

BTW I don't say it will be the case...

But I find that always peculiar when everybody praise one product, without even one discordant voice...

I have tried lately the Rosetta, the Lynx Aurora 8, the Prism Orpheus and even if I have liked some aspects of their DACs, I always find them lacking some dynamics and liveliness. I haven't tried the Weiss DAC2 at home, but what I have heard elsewhere pleased me. Looking to hear also the future Wyred4Sound DAC-1.

At first I also missed "liveliness" when I tried the ULN-8. My Buffalo (first version with sabre 9008 chip) with 6F8G tube output buffer has a very "live" and vibrant sound. Now I have adjusted to the sound of the ULN, and would never think about going back. It is so clean and resolved that the other dac sounds almost vulgar. It is now also much easier to hear differences between different player software, and with the right software the dynamics is sensational (if the recording has any real dynamics of course). The old cliche about new details in familiar recordings also come to mind when listening to the ULN.

It is also very good for vinyl replay. I use pure vinyl, but would like to use the built in riaa eq, but can not find it in the mio console anywhere. Can anyone help me out here? (i have checked all the eq presets and the mio strip).

Stian

I know there should be a RIAA eq preset in MIO software, but I just cannot find it. Digital riaa works wonderfully, my turntable sounds better run balanced through the uln 8 with pure vinyl software than my tube phonostage. I would like to try MH´s alternative though.

Best regards

Stian

Hi Stian,

Michael Fremer did a review of True Vinyl a few months ago, for what it's worth, and made similar comments using a lynx sound card. That along with your comments would lead me to believe that digital is now finally better than vinyl. Or at least digital done right is better.

What do you think ?

Regards,

Larry

Hi Stian,

The "RIAA Decode" isn't in the presets (as you already know).

Open an instance of MIOEQ or MIOStrip.

Above the button for each band in the EQ, you'll see a small green picture.

It shows the shape of the filter for that band (e.g. a peak or a shelf, etc.).

Click and hold on that green picture and a small menu will open where you can select from among a few things, including "Peaking Parametric", "Low Shelf", "High Shelf" and.... "RIAA Decode".

Best regards,

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

After reading rave reviews/comments here about Metric Halo's products I ordered a ULN-2 from B&H and it arrived today.

It is to replace the DAC of my current desktop system, which consists of Mac Pro, Benchmark DAC-1(w/o USB) and Adam A7.

Trends UD-10 USB Audio Converter connects Mac Pro to Benchmark DAC-1.

It took me quite a while just to figure out how to set up ULN-2. The CD-ROM that comes with ULN-2 doesn't contain MIODriver_5.x_Universal.pkg. I have to get it from Metric Halo's web site.

ULN-2 sounds much better than Trends UD-10 USB Audio Converter/Benchmark DAC-1 combo. It is more extended, more dynamic, more open, more refined...

ULN-2 and the interconnect cables are not even broken-in yet.

Quite happy for now!

H128,

Congratulations!

I'm quite happy now also, given a large increase in the number of happy Metric Halo / Sonic Studio users we now have on the forum. It was quite frustrating when I joined only one year ago, and was consistently told by Ashley James & his entourage that DACs made very little difference and that DAC chips could only be implemented in the manner indicated on the 'instruction sheet' (my words, not his), that came with the chips. :)

We've now got some critical mass, which can only make it easier for others to notice, both the incredible value of the ULN-2 AND the world class - take on all comers - quality of the ULN-8 (and Sonic/Amarra brethren).

Interestingly, someone started a thread on head-fi to ostensibly catalog ALL available DACs. They had a list of well over two hundred DACs, with nary a mention of Metric Halo, until very recently.

BTW, re setup, did you use the "basic setting" in the MIO setup? I'm curious what newcomers use to route inputs/outputs, so that we all can provide prompt easy advice for newcomers.

Also, what cables / adapters are you using from DAC to downstream amp?

Again, congrats,

Clay