IGNORED

Transparent Audio Hardwired USB Cable Causing USB Overcurrent

Note: Title of the thread changed due to the cause of the problem. It's not the DAC, it's the cable.

Hi Guys - I'm having trouble getting the Schiit Audio Bifrost (multibit) to work on my iMac. As soon as I connect it the Console fills up with the following messages:

AppleUSBHostPort::interruptOccurred: overcurrent detected

Any help on resolving this is appreciated.

schiit-audio-bifrost-usb-overcurrent.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This would never happen with an optical connection.

(Seriously, I would ask them at Schiit. I don't know what it means, but I assume it means the DAC is trying to draw too much current from the USB on the iMac. Might be interesting to put a powered USB hub between them only to see if the error goes away. Not suggesting you play it that way).

Wow, I have a solution to the issue that I can't really believe yet.

I unplugged the DAC from power and removed the USB cable from the DAC. However, the Console log was still filling up with the over current errors. So I remove the USB cable from the computer as well and the errors went away. As soon as I reconnected the USB cable to the computer, with nothing connected to the other end of the cable, the over current errors started flooding the Console.

My conclusion: The Transparent Audio USB cable has issues if it's causing my iMac to think there's an over current problem.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The latest Apple OS X (10.11) seems to be very picky about a lot of stuff. I wonder if this has anything to do with why a bunch of people are reporting their USB DACs don't show up with 10.11?

That is a separate issue. With Chris situation he disconnected then USB cable from the DAC and the computer should not even be aware of the USB cable at all. Since he was still getting current overload which tell me there is a issue with the cable at the computer end. Without any connection at the other end there can not be any current flowing at all and no signal can be pass thru. It it is some kind of a physical issue nothing to do with software.

That is a separate issue. With Chris situation he disconnected then USB cable from the DAC and the computer should not even be aware of the USB cable at all. Since he was still getting current overload which tell me there is a issue with the cable at the computer end. Without any connection at the other end there can not be any current flowing at all and no signal can be pass thru. It it is some kind of a physical issue nothing to do with software.

I understand what you are saying, but disagree. Later versions of iOS, for example, can detect non-Apple-certified third-party cables and refuse to work with them. If you google Chris's error message, you will see a lot of people with Hackintosh and third-party USB cards are getting this error, even with nothing plugged in.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I am guessing Chris's USB cable previously worked with an older version of OS X, and nothing in the cable has changed.

Sorry to disagree with you. I stand by what I said. All the wires on a good USB cable are open and the computer has no way of telling there is a USB cable until the other end is connected. All the posts I read so far on Apple forums points to a short in the cable. I did read that if a user has an add-in usb card installed that card could cause a over-current due to incapability of the add-in USB driver with the updated OS.

Chris,

What happens when you use another USB cable?

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.