IGNORED

Novice Needs Advice For PC Based Server Build For Bryston BDA-1 Dac!

Hi All,

This is my first post here after lots of lurking. A big thankyou to all the wonderful contributors here who make this site the 'go to' source for all computer based audio questions.

I've been trying to figure out the best server based solution for my relatively high end system which is a McIntosh C41 pre and MC352 power amp combo and Australian made Ambience Ribbon Grand Reference 1800 speakers, and I think my head could explode if I ponder this for much longer. I've looked at all the possibilities from Macs with and without Amarra to PC's and all the various dac options and I think that because I already own a Bryston BDA-1 dac, which I'm really happy with, the best solution will be a PC fitted with a Lynx AES 16 card.

I'm more of a plug and play guy than a tinkerer and not very knowledgeable when it comes to computers so going down the PC path is a leap of faith for me (currently I use an Apple eMac). I'm thinking that my server will be dedicated to music playback only and I'll use another computer for general use. I've read the 'music server for a song thread' and that train of thought is what I want to base this on except with newer components and running Windows 7, unless an older OS is recommended.

My non-technical brain thinks that all I need to do is get a basic PC built, with enough ram and storage and the Lynx card installed and I'll be right to go but I'm probably wrong so that's where I need your help.

What should the specs I need be? I want it to be as silent as possible as it will be in the same room as the hifi. Should a stripped down version of the operating system be installed? Can a TV be used as a monitor? What are the options for remote control operation? Should I use a case which looks like a hifi component etc?

I need to do this economically but I don't want to short change myself sound wise. This will be my first foray into computer audio (not counting the Wadia 170i/iPod and Bryston BDA-1 current front end) and I may end up with something else down the track but this will have to suffice for the next few years at least. Hope you can help.

John

first, you should know that there are some solutions for the AES16 in an apple. However, I'll let others comment as it's not my strong point.

Are you currently using the usb of the Bryston BDA-1 and are you happy with that dac in general? Could replacing this dac for a different usb or firewire dac do the trick in your mind?

Keeping your dac and using the aes16 or the other options above, I would still recommend a pc with lots of ram. That is also somewhat tied to knowing how to tweak the OS to take advantage of it. I would also add a good power supply and a fresh install of the OS. I like xp for ase16 assuming its the pci version and not the pci-e version of the card. Vista and 7 are really up to you. Keep in mind some of these things are more about small increments rather than leaps in sound quality. You need to determine how much of everything matters and not drive yourself crazy worring about the rest :)

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

IF you did want to stick with Apple (and I'm not trying to putsuade you either way) then would be worth waiting and seeing what the Weiss INT202 brings to the party. Expectations are high that this FireWire solution will match the quality of the Weiss AFI1 which preceeded it which many people have compared favourably to the Lynx AES16 for SQ.

This solution will allow you to use a MacBook or MacMini while maximising the potential of your Bryston DAC.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

that could be a good option! This is a link to Kent Poon's website with some additional info:

http://www.designwsound.com/dwsblog/?p=1837

Also, I forget to add a stripped down version of the operating system is not needed. A simple clean install is fine IMO. You can use a TV for sure. I use a 52" lcd with my rig with both vga and hdmi and prefer the vga for the player. For remotes check out the "HP Media Center Remote". For the case you should know you need a vertical or horizontal full height slot opening for the aes16 card!

Regards

Jesus R.

www.sonore.us

would not the emac need a ram memory upgrade? It came with 256 or 512 if I remember and that is rather light. It can be expanded to 1gb or 2gb depending on the version I guess. Then you still need an external drive for content as they came with no more than 160gb of hdd space. I think I like this machine for emails...hehehe

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Jesus - Ideally an Apple solution would be easiest but too do it how I would want would cost more than I'm willing to spend at this time. The G5 Apple solution is getting a bit old and may present reliability issues going forward and a newer AES 16 capable Mac is pricey.

Eloise - The Weiss INT202 maybe the perfect solution if the cost is similar to the Lynx card. I'll need to really consider this. Do you know when this will be available?

bottlerocket - Selling the Bryston is one option though the sound of the Bryston is very nice indeed, not something to be done lightly! I could sell the Bryston and buy the Metric Halo ULN-2 and profit slightly so that's certainly doable. Has anyone compared the sound of these two dacs side by side? The Ayre would be good and I'm not sure of its price in Australia but based on its US pricing, if I sold my Bryston, I would probably need to add $2500 to get it. Maybe Bryston will offer an upgraded USB input which can be installed at some later stage.

Which leads me back to my original idea of basing a PC server around what I already have for reasons of economy though maybe that will turn out to be a false economy!

This is not so clear cut. If I get a PC built fitted with a Lynx AES16 card, it will cost me around $2000. I can buy a brand new 13" Macbook with 4g of RAM and a 500g HD for $2080. Or a 13" Macbook Pro with 4g of RAM (which can be increased to 8g) and a 128g solid state drive for $2699! I could increase the solid state drive to 256g for an extra $600 (Apples price). Amarra could be added at a later stage. This will cost more but not ridiculously so and is looking quite appealing. To do this I would need to reverse my initial plan to keep the Bryston and opt instead for the Metric Halo ULN-2. Any thoughts?

PS. Is there a better and/or cheaper way to get a solid state drive than what Apple would offer or is an Apple configured machine the way to go?

regarding the ULN-2, mine sounds great with Mac Mini, Macbook Pro, and even a G4 Cube, all via Firewire. I've never listened to the Bryston, but would be surprised if it was not of the same caliber. Barry Diament - a big fan of Metric Halo - has stated that he feels you'd need to spend 3x the price of the Metric Halo to get a real improvement.

I personally would not pay Apple's prices for an SSD, but would go to newegg (or equivalent) and search out the OCZ SSD's - either the Agility or Vertex series. One thing to consider with SSD's is to get a relatively smaller SSD (60 Gb or 120Gb) for the OS, and rely on the external HD for (the majority of) your music files.

I purchase all my Macs as 'refurbished' units or use the 'education' discount (a benefit of having kids in college). Not sure if either are available to you in Australia.

BTW, the apple prices for RAM upgrades are worthwhile, at this point in time. in my opinion.

Upgrading the HD in the Macbook (or Pro) would be easier (for you) than upgrading the Mac Mini.

Regarding the Agility versus Vertex OCZ drives, I've opted for the Agility series rather than the more commonly recommended Vertex.

Agility is still a quite high performing SSD, and you can almost double the space (120Gb versus 60Gb). Even if you can't buy from newegg - you should research the performance specs for the various OCZ models.

My personal belief is that the extra (marginal) bit of performance from the highest prices SSDs (as compared to Agility series, for instance) is NOT likely required for great audio performance, believing as I do that the switch from spinning drive to solid state drive is the source of the major benefits.

Further, I personally do not recommend the Vertex Turbo model (over the regular Vertex). As I understand it, the difference is that the Turbo model 'overclocks' cache, as opposed to any inherent performance advantage. Kind of like having a 'hot rod' version - might not be the best option in the long run.

clay

"Wouldn't it be nice if he could just get an answer to his question without being sent down another path he has indicated he does not want to go"

John, the OP, said:

"I've looked at all the possibilities from Macs with and without Amarra to PC's and all the various dac options and I think that because I already own a Bryston BDA-1 dac, which I'm really happy with, the best solution will be a PC fitted with a Lynx AES 16 card."

Clearly John is willing to consider Mac solutions, as he states above. Indeed he also suggested some trepidation about going down the PC route, as he is currently a Mac user. He also states that he is more of a 'plug and play' guy.

Also, as evidenced by this thread, the Mac proposed solutions are deemed worthy - by John - of his serious consideration. Frankly, I applaud him for not automatically taking the plunge down the 'legacy' interface path.

In general, it would seem to me that only the opening poster would be in a position to 'complain' that the advice he/she is receiving might not be relevant/desired.

Maybe that's just me.

respectfully,

clay

I started this thread by saying that I would keep my Bryston dac and go with a PC server. A few posts later and I'm looking at a Macbook Pro and Metric Halo ULN-2 - talk about confused! The cost difference is nowhere near as great as anticipated so I think the Macbook/ULN-2 is likely the solution that will give me the least amount of headaches in setting up.

Clay - What is the best external storage solution for a Macbook Pro?

John

Chris and others can chime in on Drobos and the like, as I have no experience there.

The first question to consider with use of a Macbook Pro is whether you'd want wireless access or direct connection (to the external hard disk), the latter of which is less convenient.

I'd suggest trying it both ways and see if you hear a difference. If not, you're a good candidate for wireless.

I use Western Digital MyBook 1Tb hard drives for external storage, either connected to an Airport Extreme (via it's Airdisk feature, in which the drive is connected directly to the router) or connected directly to the computer via USB (as I use Firewire for connection to my DAC).

The only problems I've had with wireless is when I had 802.11G traffic on my single band Extreme (which brought the overall networks speed down to G). This resulted in the occasional dropout, or worse. The newer Extremes have dual band mode - which can provide G and N network on different 'channels' and avoid this potential problem.

My external storage solution is rather low tech. Others here have much more sophisticated network solutions. I use CCC for backup - just never bothered with Time Machine.

When I used a Macbook Pro, I kept my favorite music on the local hard drive - and listened via a 4.5m Firewire cable connected to my DAC, OR via use of Apple TV (or Airport Express) connected via Toslink to my DAC. In each case, I had wireless access to the files on external disk connected to the Extreme. It always bugged me that there was so much wireless activity happening in that setup but it sounded okay - the signal traveling wirelessly from hard drive to MBPro and then being routing via Airtunes (wirelessly) to the Apple TV or Airport Express for conversion to Toslink and on to the DAC. I used this for 'convenience' listening. Critical listening was via Firewire.

I've since gone to Mac Mini as a dedicated music server - due to losing the display on the MBPro, not because I thought the sound would improve. The Mini I use headless and connect directly to the MyBook.

Hope this is helpful,

clay