IGNORED

I Need Cross Feed For Mac OSX

crazychile

I've come to realize that I like a bit of cross feed when listening to headphones. I use a cheap app called Can Opener when I use my iPad and iPhone and it sounds pretty good, but Can Opener isn't available to use with iTunes on a Mac Computer, just portable devices. So I'm looking for a music player to run on Mac that has cross feed. I use Amarra 3.0 and it doesn't have it. I know Decibel has it as an upgrade option, but Decibel was really buggy for me and I don't really want to go that route. I've read that JRiver has it as an option but wasn't able to dig up any details.

Does anyone here use the JRiver cross feed option and can comment on it? I'd also love to see some screen shots if anyone has links to more info. Are there other music players out there that I can use on a Mac that has this option?

Thanks,

Canopener studio comes as an AU (Audio Unit) for OSX. You will need something like Loopback or audio hijack to capture the audio from iTunes so that it can be passed through the AU using an Audio Unit host and out to your DAC/Head Phone amp.

It's quite a finicky solution but I do have it working at work.

At home I wasn't as lucky with Roon so I just bought myself an SPL Phonitor Mini head phone amp which has a good defeat-able crossfeed circuit built into it.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

If you are using iTunes, there is a setting for that. The "Sound Enhancer" setting pretty much does what you want. ;)

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 3.47.34 PM.png

There are several plugins built for Logic Pro that will also make it happen for you. No experience with them really on my part.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Canopener studio comes as an AU (Audio Unit) for OSX. You will need something like Loopback or audio hijack to capture the audio from iTunes so that it can be passed through the AU using an Audio Unit host and out to your DAC/Head Phone amp.

It's quite a finicky solution but I do have it working at work.

At home I wasn't as lucky with Roon so I just bought myself an SPL Phonitor Mini head phone amp which has a good defeat-able crossfeed circuit built into it.

Thanks for the solution but that sounds like a bit of a clusterf@ck. I'd rather go with something that is built specifically for OSX without having to hack it into submission.

If you are using iTunes, there is a setting for that. The "Sound Enhancer" setting pretty much does what you want. ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23569[/ATTACH]

There are several plugins built for Logic Pro that will also make it happen for you. No experience with them really on my part.

-Paul

Thanks for suggesting that. I'd seen it before in the menu and had instantly dismissed it. I gave it a try and it doesn't do much for me. Probably because its still in iTunes and I really like other players that use the iTunes db, but bypass all the extra junk with iTunes. So really what I'm asking for is something that sounds like Amarra or Audirvana, yet has a crossfeed option.

Does anyone here use the JRiver cross feed option and can comment on it? I'd also love to see some screen shots if anyone has links to more info. Are there other music players out there that I can use on a Mac that has this option?

I don't use it but here's what the cross feed options look like in JRMC 20 on a Mac:

crossfeed.png

JRiver offers 30 day free trials so it should be easy to see how it sounds in your system.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I don't use it but here's what the cross feed options look like in JRMC 20 on a Mac:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23575[/ATTACH]

JRiver offers 30 day free trials so it should be easy to see how it sounds in your system.

Thanks, at least there are a few degrees of crossfeed instead of just on and off.

AudioUnits (AU) plugins are a really elegant way to add functionality to audio-centric programs - I wouldn't call it a clusterf@ck at all ;-)

Audirvana supports AUs (Preferences->AudioUnits), so there's your solution: Canopener Studio with Audirvana+.

And here's hoping Audirvana+ becomes a RoonReady ("RoonSpeaker") app at some stage, then it would work with Roon too.

AudioUnits (AU) plugins are a really elegant way to add functionality to audio-centric programs - I wouldn't call it a clusterf@ck at all ;-)

Audirvana supports AUs (Preferences->AudioUnits), so there's your solution: Canopener Studio with Audirvana+.

And here's hoping Audirvana+ becomes a RoonReady ("RoonSpeaker") app at some stage, then it would work with Roon too.

Ok, I'm starting to understand the AU thing better. I thought originally that I'd have to do some sort of terminal hack. I've been tempted to try Audirvana anyway so this might be a good excuse to try it.

Ok, I'm starting to understand the AU thing better. I thought originally that I'd have to do some sort of terminal hack. I've been tempted to try Audirvana anyway so this might be a good excuse to try it.

If you do, try "LGG: Crossfeed":

http://www.larsggu.me/s/Crossfeedcomponent.zip

It's free and provides very good results in my experience.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 3 weeks later...