IGNORED

Chord Mojo

Thanks Kennyb123. Regarding the Audioquest adapter that you suggested, between that one and their 3.5mm to rca, do you think one would give better sound quality transmission over the other?

Which is the other to which you refer? Is it one of their cables with 3.5mm on one end and RCA on the other?

If so then it depends on the quality of the cable used with the adapter I recommended.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

And just to make it even more confusing... Another idea for a ~$100 source is a Raspberry Pi2 with a Hifiberry Digi+ board running Volumio and feeding SPDIF into the Mojo. (You could even try feeding SPDIF into your CXA60).

Not in the same league as a microRendu, but IMO better than USB out of a laptop. I built a couple and liked them and accessed music files from my Time Capsule.

But it does require some technical chops to get it working. And this kind of DIY stuff isn't for everybody.

BTW, a great source for learning about these options is The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel on YouTube. He's the real deal. I believe he's reviewed many of the ideas being proposed here, including the Mojo.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR4tuhqPppVp-PD0q17sPEA/featured

Good luck!

Thanks very much Muski. Appreciated.

Algernon, I think you're over-thinking this. Chord Mojo will work with your laptop because other people are doing it, e.g. kennyb123. All you really need is a Chord Mojo and the Audioquest 3.5mm to stereo RCA adaptor that kennyb123 recommended. You're good to go. And we all think that it'll sound better than what you're currently listening to.

Once you're used to listening to the Chord Mojo, you can start deciding whether you want to charge it all the time or unplug it and charge it and whether you want to add an Audioquest Jitterbug or go out and buy and setup a Raspberry Pi or microRendu. Start simple and go on from there.

Algernon, I think you're over-thinking this. Chord Mojo will work with your laptop because other people are doing it, e.g. kennyb123. All you really need is a Chord Mojo and the Audioquest 3.5mm to stereo RCA adaptor that kennyb123 recommended. You're good to go. And we all think that it'll sound better than what you're currently listening to.

Once you're used to listening to the Chord Mojo, you can start deciding whether you want to charge it all the time or unplug it and charge it and whether you want to add an Audioquest Jitterbug or go out and buy and setup a Raspberry Pi or microRendu. Start simple and go on from there.

Thanks ecwl:

I don't want to exhaust you but could you extrapolate for a moment with me. Do you think that if I deal with the small inconveniences of the MOJO setup that I'm intending, that I'll end up with better sonics and therefore a better listening experience than I would with let's say a Audiolab MDAC+ or a Peachtree, or an Arcam irDAC 2 or any others in their price range? Your knowledge and Chord experience will give me more confidence to proceed. I know hearing is a subjective quality, but I'm asking in general.

Thanks

I don't want to exhaust you but could you extrapolate for a moment with me. Do you think that if I deal with the small inconveniences of the MOJO setup that I'm intending, that I'll end up with better sonics and therefore a better listening experience than I would with let's say a Audiolab MDAC+ or a Peachtree, or an Arcam irDAC 2 or any others in their price range?

I know you directed this at ecwl but I just have to chime in.

Please see my previous posts in this thread for my take on the Mojo relative to DACs costing 2-3x more. Fed by a great USB source like the microRendu, the Mojo can be absolutely stunning.

As far as the others in the price range you mention, I've not heard them. But if if the Mojo is said to be competitive with DACs at 2x its price, isn't that enough to encourage you to get a Mojo to audition for yourself? Your ears are the best judge.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I know you directed this at ecwl but I just have to chime in.

Please see my previous posts in this thread for my take on the Mojo relative to DACs costing 2-3x more. Fed by a great USB source like the microRendu, the Mojo can be absolutely stunning.

As far as the others in the price range you mention, I've not heard them. But if if the Mojo is said to be competitive with DACs at 2x its price, isn't that enough to encourage you to get a Mojo to audition for yourself? Your ears are the best judge.

Just trying to get the most information I can on this side of the ownership fence. I'd have to purchase the unit by post and once received, it's mine.

The mRendu sounds nice - more money going out - and as I understand it, it is reliant on an ethernet connection ergo internet based. I'm wanting to have my system just reliant on electricity and with the condition of the national grid that's even a risk.

I don't want to exhaust you but could you extrapolate for a moment with me. Do you think that if I deal with the small inconveniences of the MOJO setup that I'm intending, that I'll end up with better sonics and therefore a better listening experience than I would with let's say a Audiolab MDAC+ or a Peachtree, or an Arcam irDAC 2 or any others in their price range? Your knowledge and Chord experience will give me more confidence to proceed. I know hearing is a subjective quality, but I'm asking in general.

So I've only heard Arcam and Peachtree DACs, not the Audiolab one. I can say most good chip-based DACs sound similar when fed by a low jitter source. So if you're thinking of getting an Arcam or Peachtree DAC, you're better off getting a USB-to-S/PDIF converter and your Cambridge will probably sound almost as good as a new Arcam or Peachtree DAC in the Chord Mojo price range. This is also the reason why microRendu is so popular because it too can feed many USB DACs optimally. But most USB DACs can handle noisy computers reasonably well nowadays if they're designed to do so. Hence while MicroRendu is better, your laptop would be more than fine with the Mojo.

So I've only heard Arcam and Peachtree DACs, not the Audiolab one. I can say most good chip-based DACs sound similar when fed by a low jitter source. So if you're thinking of getting an Arcam or Peachtree DAC, you're better off getting a USB-to-S/PDIF converter and your Cambridge will probably sound almost as good as a new Arcam or Peachtree DAC in the Chord Mojo price range. This is also the reason why microRendu is so popular because it too can feed many USB DACs optimally. But most USB DACs can handle noisy computers reasonably well nowadays if they're designed to do so. Hence while MicroRendu is better, your laptop would be more than fine with the Mojo.

Let me know if I'm understanding you: while keeping in mind that I've been talking about a laptop DAC setup from my first post onward. I'm also trying to fill in the blanks. Instructions through internet are very difficult and different from the person to person conversation perspective.

Out of my laptop I have a jitterbug then USB A to USB B into a USB-to-S/PDIF converter and then optical coming out and into the MOJO, then the 3.5mm out of the MOJO headphone jack and the RCA's into my integrated? I assumed you were keeping the MOJO in this scenario. Please correct me if I am wrong. Unless you are leaving out the MOJO in this case and and I'm just left with this converter? If this is the case do they really cost as much as the MOJO?

Also, am I correct that the mRendu relies on an internet connection?

Thanks ecwl

It only needs the Internet for the initial setup and updates. I think you can even do the initial setup without the internet if you know the IP address it takes on your network.

Out of my laptop I have a jitterbug then USB A to USB B into a USB-to-S/PDIF converter and then optical coming out and into the MOJO, then the 3.5mm out of the MOJO headphone jack and the RCA's into my integrated? I assumed you were keeping the MOJO in this scenario. Please correct me if I am wrong. Unless you are leaving out the MOJO in this case and and I'm just left with this converter? If this is the case do they really cost as much as the MOJO?

Thanks ecwl

No. Laptop to jitterbug to USB into Mojo. You don't need a USB-to-S/PDIF converter if you're using Mojo. You don't even need Jitterbug.

If you don't get the Mojo, it'll be laptop to USB-to-S/PDIF converter into the digital coaxial input of your CXA60.

It only needs the Internet for the initial setup and updates. I think you can even do the initial setup without the internet if you know the IP address it takes on your network.

Thanks Kenny

I looked into the Rendu but could not get a handle on what it actually is and what it does.

Would you be able to explain it to me? I even watched a youtube about it but the speaker didn't make it clear. Also, it's good to hear that it does not rely on the internet and that the ethernet is merely for the initial. Thanks

No. Laptop to jitterbug to USB into Mojo. You don't need a USB-to-S/PDIF converter if you're using Mojo. You don't even need Jitterbug.

If you don't get the Mojo, it'll be laptop to USB-to-S/PDIF converter into the digital coaxial input of your CXA60.

If I were to go the way of the converter, can you suggest a couple of them that you believe would be a good bang for the buck without compromising quality? Thanks ecwl.

I looked into the Rendu but could not get a handle on what it actually is and what it does.

Would you be able to explain it to me?

I can't do much better than the explanation provided by Chris here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/698-sonore-microrendu-review-part-1/

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/705-sonore-microrendu-review-part-2/

This is excellent too:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/sonore-simple-design-microrendu

If I were to go the way of the converter, can you suggest a couple of them that you believe would be a good bang for the buck without compromising quality? Thanks ecwl.

The only one I can recommend is the Peachtree X1

https://www.amazon.ca/Peachtree-Audio-X1-USB-Converter/dp/B00AEN0TA4

There are cheaper ones but I just don't know them well enough to know how good they are, or if their drivers are going to be compatible with your laptop, etc.

Would you be able to explain it to me? I even watched a youtube about it but the speaker didn't make it clear. Also, it's good to hear that it does not rely on the internet and that the ethernet is merely for the initial. Thanks

My general rule for computer audio is that if you looked into a product and you don't understand it, that product is not for you. I consider myself very computer savvy so I think whenever I read about a product, I have a complete understanding of what's going on. But once the computer audio product is actually in my home, I always find something unexpected that I have to troubleshoot and often it's outside of my area of expertise. So I ended up googling for 30 minutes before sorting the problem out. That's why I recommend my general rule to my friends. Because I don't have time to solve their computer audio problems for products that they have no understanding of... If you live in London, Ontario and have no one to help you, I really don't think microRendu is for you...

My general rule for computer audio is that if you looked into a product and you don't understand it, that product is not for you. I consider myself very computer savvy so I think whenever I read about a product, I have a complete understanding of what's going on. But once the computer audio product is actually in my home, I always find something unexpected that I have to troubleshoot and often it's outside of my area of expertise. So I ended up googling for 30 minutes before sorting the problem out. That's why I recommend my general rule to my friends. Because I don't have time to solve their computer audio problems for products that they have no understanding of... If you live in London, Ontario and have no one to help you, I really don't think microRendu is for you...

I was actually thinking the exact same thing.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing.

Thanks to you both for your time.

You stated, "My general rule for computer audio is that if you looked into a product and you don't understand it, that product is not for you." To that I truly disagree. I look into things, I ask questions (which none of us have been immune to doing at various times and seasons), and then look some more: anything less is compromise.

You also both assume wrongly that I just came here to pick your brains without doing some research beforehand. I'm sorry that I wore you out with my questions to learn alongside of my own searching.

You also both assume wrongly that I just came here to pick your brains without doing some research beforehand. I'm sorry that I wore you out with my questions to learn alongside of my own searching.

It was your wording. You wrote: "I looked into the Rendu but could not get a handle on what it actually is and what it does."

I agree with ecwl - if someone looked into a product and still has no idea what the product is or what it does, then that's most likely not the product for them.

The microRendu requires at least some familiarity with at least one of the streaming modes. That familiarity would likely have them understand what the microRendu is right away.

Thanks to you both for your time.

You stated, "My general rule for computer audio is that if you looked into a product and you don't understand it, that product is not for you." To that I truly disagree. I look into things, I ask questions (which none of us have been immune to doing at various times and seasons), and then look some more: anything less is compromise.

Sorry. I think you misunderstood what I meant. I was specifically referring to the microRendu. If you run into trouble say with installing the Windows USB driver for the Mojo or the Peachtree X1, someone here, including myself, can probably help you or at least give you some pointers. Obviously, if you don't like the sound of Mojo or Peachtree X1, that's tough because different people have different preferences. But if you run into problems with the microRendu, the problem is that it's a much more complex product so you need to know you're ready for it and can troubleshoot it if you run into problems. As you may find it harder to find someone to walk you through the problem with the microRendu. Does that make sense?

Thanks to you both. I'll try to pursue my goal albeit with difficulty for none of these pieces are near me to see and hear and I despise driving the GTA. Furthermore, I don't have the funds to climb up the multiple purchasing ladder that some have experienced. I would like to do it right the first purchase as much as possible. Therefore, more research is needed on my behalf - measure twice; cut once.