IGNORED

Chord Mojo

I got to hear the DAVE last week at a friend's. He also had the Hugo TT and Ayre QB9-DSD on hand. I preferred the Hugo TT to the Ayre, but they were awfully close. The DAVE was in another league entirely. It was like the difference between listening to a recording vs listening to musicians in the room.

I also think many underestimate Mojo or Hugo's capabilities because of the presence or need for pre-amplification. I think the main reason why you found Hugo TT to be close to Ayre QB9-DSD is because of the need for a pre-amplifier in-between. Using Chord's internal digital volume control and bypassing a pre-amplifier really adds much more transparency and allows you to hear more into the DAC's unique qualities. I certainly found this to be true with Chord Mojo.

I also think many underestimate Mojo or Hugo's capabilities because of the presence or need for pre-amplification. I think the main reason why you found Hugo TT to be close to Ayre QB9-DSD is because of the need for a pre-amplifier in-between. Using Chord's internal digital volume control and bypassing a pre-amplifier really adds much more transparency and allows you to hear more into the DAC's unique qualities. I certainly found this to be true with Chord Mojo.

This was a valid test for me as my preamp won't be going anywhere as I also have an analog front end.

Also, as far as my friend's system, I think the preamp section of his integrated passed the test with flying colors given what we heard from the DAVE. I think one of the first comments i offered to my friend was "wow your system really passes the get-the-heck-out-of-the-way test".

Having said that, often simpler is better so I suspect some gains might have been heard as you suggest, but the magnitude probably depends on the quality of the preamp.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I have owned a Chord Mojo for awhile now for use with my Macbook Pro. Purchased Questyle QP1R recently and now seldom use the Mojo. Thought about A&K 240 but price vs sound made QP1R the winner for me. Don't need another (iPhone, iPad) fingerprint smudged touchscreen either. Price is not far apart considering with QP1R you have DAP capability. Both DAC's have low fatique factor over long listening sessions. Both Mojo and QP1R drive most headphones without issue.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

I have owned a Chord Mojo for awhile now for use with my Macbook Pro. Purchased Questyle QP1R recently and now seldom use the Mojo. Thought about A&K 240 but price vs sound made QP1R the winner for me. Don't need another (iPhone, iPad) fingerprint smudged touchscreen either. Price is not far apart considering with QP1R you have DAP capability. Both DAC's have low fatique factor over long listening sessions. Both Mojo and QP1R drive most headphones without issue.

Hmmm... I wonder if you connected the Mojo to the MacBook optically or via USB before. I also wonder if you've tried connecting the QP1R optically to the Mojo and made a longer term sonic comparison. But if QP1R is more convenient and plays music to a sonic quality to your satisfaction, that's all that matters...

Hmmm... I wonder if you connected the Mojo to the MacBook optically or via USB before. I also wonder if you've tried connecting the QP1R optically to the Mojo and made a longer term sonic comparison. But if QP1R is more convenient and plays music to a sonic quality to your satisfaction, that's all that matters...

Via USB. My 2015 Macbook Pro Retina has no optical connection.

Some say QP1R closer to Hugo's SQ, with Mojo having warmer sound. Opinions about preferences are not so useful what with all the variables involved (headphones, IEM, listener's hearing acuity, listener's mood, cables, connected equipment, quality of source files, volume matching, etc.) although I made one about Mojo vs QP1R. At best it will spur those interested in exploring further to do their own comparisons.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

Via USB. My 2015 Macbook Pro Retina has no optical connection.

This is not true. Your 3.5mm headphone jack can take an adaptor and function as an optical output.

The reason why I propose the comparison is that comparisons should be fair even though people's use case differs. A fair comparison between Mojo and QP1R would be iPhone via Apple Lightning Camera Connection Kit to USB of Mojo vs QP1R because that's how Mojo was designed. If you're going to compare MacBook to Mojo vs QP1R, you should use an optical output from MacBook to Mojo because there's more noise from the MacBook USB port that Mojo was not designed to filter because it's meant for portable use. My Mojo doesn't sound as good via USB off my Lenovo X240 laptop either.

But I agree, everyone has their own opinions on sonic qualities, particularly for their use case. I'm sure QP1R sounds better to you than Mojo for your use case.

• 3 months later...
So, what are you guy doing with adapters for use in main stereo rig, like rca to 1/8" phono adapters for input and SPDIF digital? Does it detract from the sound in your view?

I use Audioquest adapters on both sides. Can't say if they're detracting - but even with them in place the Mojo beat a couple DACs retailing for around twice as much.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I use Audioquest adapters on both sides. Can't say if they're detracting - but even with them in place the Mojo beat a couple DACs retailing for around twice as much.

Can you give a few examples? I'm curious about this DAC but the fact that it's portable is the feature that interests me the least. For me it's the price/sound quality ratio and the added bonus of a capable HP output that counts. All the reviews I've read were in a portable/headphone context. Saying it's the best portable DAC out there for the money doesn't mean much to me since I'm looking for THE BEST DAC for the money.

If it's as good as, let's say, the Shiit Gungnir MB, has an added HP output and costs less I'm willing to put up with its quirks. If not then I'll spend the extra bucks and go for the Gungnir. I'll be able to use my existing good quality coax and RCA cables - an added expense to consider with Mojo.

Hi again: I am asking the question bacause I'm considering the Mojo as a dac for my main system. My current dac does not have USB input nor does HD files, it does only 16/44, so I'm using it with a JLSounds USB to SPDIF adapter board, trying out computer audio with my MacBook Pro. I would really like the 2Qute, but it is expensive. It would be a permanent solution though, but I wonder about the Mojo, if it could come pretty close for 1/3 of the price as a main system dac. So does it throw a big and deep soundstage? Bass, Midrange, etc.? Mojo reviews, except the one in 6Moons audio don't dwell into this option.

Can you give a few examples? I'm curious about this DAC but the fact that it's portable is the feature that interests me the least. For me it's the price/sound quality ratio and the added bonus of a capable HP output that counts. All the reviews I've read were in a portable/headphone context. Saying it's the best portable DAC out there for the money doesn't mean much to me since I'm looking for THE BEST DAC for the money.

That the Mojo is portable wasn't a factor to me at all. I really liked what I heard from the more expensive Chords (Hugo TT and DAVE) and wanted to hear how much of that I could get from the Mojo. To my surprise the Mojo beat the DAC I was using at the time - a Mytek Stereo 192. The Mojo offered a more natural sound along with a lower noise floor that revealed more low level details. More bass with the Mytek, but I think that maybe the Mytek was bloating bass.

I also had a chance recently to compare the Mojo also to a friend's Hegel HD12. The Mojo's lower noise was obvious there but also the Mojo threw a deeper and wider soundstage. I found the Mojo to be more engaging.

The Mojo was improved further by feeding it with a microRendu. The combo delivered an insane amount of goodness for the price.

Hi again: I am asking the question bacause I'm considering the Mojo as a dac for my main system. My current dac does not have USB input nor does HD files, it does only 16/44, so I'm using it with a JLSounds USB to SPDIF adapter board, trying out computer audio with my MacBook Pro. I would really like the 2Qute, but it is expensive. It would be a permanent solution though, but I wonder about the Mojo, if it could come pretty close for 1/3 of the price as a main system dac. So does it throw a big and deep soundstage? Bass, Midrange, etc.? Mojo reviews, except the one in 6Moons audio don't dwell into this option.

Many sellers offer the Mojo with at least a 15-day return policy. Try one and I doubt you will want to return it.

Instead of going for 2Qute, I'd suggest you instead to go with microRendu plus Mojo. My other source is an analog front end that retails for over $10K. The microRendu plus Mojo is actually competitive with it, which is quite stunning when you consider the price difference. I spend the majority of my time now listening to digital.

I have been using the Mojo for 5 months as a "temporary" replacement for my Ayre QB-9 DSD I sold to upgrade.

I use Audioquest Sydney cable. IMPORTANT: the RCA end connectors are very close to each other. Make sure it fits your dream-amp.

Connectors are spaced our about 4 inches max. Check the pics.

I am about to add a mRendu. I am still undecided on my new replacement DAC. But in the meantime, if I did not know better, I would think the Mojo is the end of the world. It is very good.

Now if I had to choose a DAC for fixed set-up, I would check out the Gungnbir Multibit. Probably better.

The Mojo runs on batteries - you will have to replace the battery sooner in the case of the full-time setup.

Good luck.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

The Mojo runs on batteries - you will have to replace the battery sooner in the case of the full-time setup.

I would think the opposite would be true if the Mojo is always plugged into AC. I believe it's the recharge cycles that kill battery life. I could be wrong.

I would think the opposite would be true if the Mojo is always plugged into AC. I believe it's the recharge cycles that kill battery life. I could be wrong.

The charging mechanism of Mojo is more like modern high-end cellphones so whether it is permanently plugged in probably doesn't reduce battery life. There's some extended discussion by the designed on Head Fi on this topic. Of course, the fact that Mojo uses a battery means there is a battery life for the product...

For kicks, people can look at the Stereophile Chord Mojo measurements and compare them to the Simaudio 780D ($15000) measurements that is just reviewed in the latest issue of Stereophile. They're virtually the same. But then Stereophile doesn't measure noise floor modulation or linearity, both strengths of Chord DACs. While measurements can't tell you one's sonic preferences, they still tell you a lot. The main caveat is that I'm a Chord DAC fan (and maybe fanboy) so I'm biased.

I have been using the Mojo for 5 months as a "temporary" replacement for my Ayre QB-9 DSD I sold to upgrade.

I use Audioquest Sydney cable. IMPORTANT: the RCA end connectors are very close to each other. Make sure it fits your dream-amp.

Connectors are spaced our about 4 inches max. Check the pics.

I am about to add a mRendu. I am still undecided on my new replacement DAC. But in the meantime, if I did not know better, I would think the Mojo is the end of the world. It is very good.

Now if I had to choose a DAC for fixed set-up, I would check out the Gungnbir Multibit. Probably better.

Good luck.

Merci Jacques

Since I'm running on a tight budget I would either get the Mojo + Mogami Pure Patch Y cable ($75 CDN) and have enough left over for a microRendu OR keep my SB Touch and existing expensive S/PDIF cable and get a Gungnir MB.

Other considerations...

Option 1: Due to battery life in the Mojo this is more a short/medium term solution. I could sell my expensive S/PDIF cable to finance a decent PSU for microRendu.

Option 2: Gungnir is a more end game solution, the microRendu could be added later if/when finances permit.

This is all theoretical/speculative as I've never had the chance to audition any of these components.

I'd love to hear from someone who's compared the Gungir Multibit to the Mojo.

I was targeting the purchase of a Yggy, but after finally hearing it in a friend's system I decided that the Yggy wasn't the DAC for me. I went with a Mojo instead hoping it would be a suitable temporary solution until I could afford something much better (like a Hugo TT) and am thrilled with how well it turned out. I didn't get a chance to compare the Mojo to the Yggy unfortunately.

I'd love to hear from someone who's compared the Gungir Multibit to the Mojo.

I was targeting the purchase of a Yggy, but after finally hearing it in a friend's system I decided that the Yggy wasn't the DAC for me. I went with a Mojo instead hoping it would be a suitable temporary solution until I could afford something much better (like a Hugo TT) and am thrilled with how well it turned out. I didn't get a chance to compare the Mojo to the Yggy unfortunately.

The Yggy is worlds better than the Mojo and Chord 2qute in my setup . Better soundstage, air, dynamics .

I had a MB Gungnir and sold it to buy a Yggdrasil because the Yggy was better .

I like the Mojo and 2qute quite a bit and still have both but I don't think they are at the Yggy level .

The Yggy is worlds better than the Mojo and Chord 2qute in my setup . Better soundstage, air, dynamics.

The Yggy retails for 3.8 times the price of the Mojo, so it should be better. But would you say it's worth spending the additional $1700 to get those improvements?

The Yggy retails for 3.8 times the price of the Mojo, so it should be better. But would you say it's worth spending the additional $1700 to get those improvements?

The Mojo is the best dac I've heard for say 1200 bucks or less . Better than ifi micro idsd , Marantz , arcam ,etc .

For 600 bucks it may be the best deal in audio right now .

I still think the Yggy is much better . 3.8 times? Well maybe not but don't forget the Yggy is upgradable . The Mojo is very portable .

I can tell you I will never get rid of either the Mojo or Yggy . I am very content with both and done spending money .

It's a really tough call but for me the Yggy would stay if I had to get rid of one .

The Yggy is worlds better than the Mojo and Chord 2qute in my setup . Better soundstage, air, dynamics .

I had a MB Gungnir and sold it to buy a Yggdrasil because the Yggy was better .

I like the Mojo and 2qute quite a bit and still have both but I don't think they are at the Yggy level .

So if I understand in order of preference it would be:

Yggy, Gumby, Mojo? Or are Mojo and Gumby at the same level?

If I were going to use the Mojo exclusively in a home system, then I would would remove the battery, and build a really good shunt regulated power supply for it. The battery plugs into the main board (so it is replaceable) and plugging in an external AC based supply would not be difficult at all.

I would also expect a performance improvement by using a really good shunt regulated supply. In fact, just thinking about this now, I might try it with my Mojo just for kicks. I use my Mojo as a portable, I have other DACs which I prefer for my main systems.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

If I were going to use the Mojo exclusively in a home system, then I would would remove the battery, and build a really good shunt regulated power supply for it.

I've wondered though if the battery is part of the reason the Mojo punches above its weight. Might the Mojo's low noise floor be attributed to the isolation the battery provides from AC?

Once I am finally able to power my microRendu with the new Uptone LPS-1, both my streamer and my DAC will be essentially isolated from AC. I can't wait to hear this.