IGNORED

Audirvana 2.3 with Qobuz Integration

juliocat

Izotope settings (upsampling) are extremely DAC dependant (unless you're using a true NOS one)

even more as at 96 and 192kHz upsampling you are most likely not bypassing your DAC's own filter ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Izotope settings (upsampling) are extremely DAC dependant (unless you're using a true NOS one)

even more as at 96 and 192kHz upsampling you are most likely not bypassing your DAC's own filter ;)

True! I realized the extent of that in the months scouring the izotope src thread:, but one person's settings ended up guiding me to an amazing ball park of my own (though it cost me in the aforementioned gear)

It's just there were no reference points in the discussion about 2.3.3 vs 2.3.2

For all I knew some folks could be in iTunes integrated mode (doubt it - just an example).

I think if the option is not checked oversampling values ​​are ignored Izotope right?

I in my Ayre QB9 DSD ( use version 2.2.4 , which is what I like at the moment) do not use upsampling .

Damien is doing a great job, but I think the remote application is several steps backward

I believe forced software upsampling is ignored if set to none. Agreed, the remote app is and should be his focus.

Just wish I didn't lose searching of manual playlists in 2.3.2.

I think if the option is not checked oversampling values ​​are ignored Izotope right?

I in my Ayre QB9 DSD ( use version 2.2.4 , which is what I like at the moment) do not use upsampling .

Damien is doing a great job, but I think the remote application is several steps backward

Agreed, the remote app is and should be his focus.

I'm completing 2.3.3 today or tomorrow, and then A+ Remote 1.1 update

;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Maybe I'm missing something, but when playing a track it shows the info at top and the additional track info at the side. When it plays the next song on the list the info at top changes to the new song, but the info at the side stays the same and doesn't change to the currently playing track.

It may just be me, but I would prefer if both track info at top & at the side was shown for the currently playing song.

The "info at the side" is the metadata pane. It shows the metadata of the currently selected album, track or tracks. What you seem to suggest would make metadata browsing very cumbersome, as one would be forced to actually listen to a track in order to view its metadata. A better solution would be to introduce an option to make Audirvana automatically select the currently playing track every time a new track starts to play.

"It is commonly accepted amongst authentic libertines that the sensations communicated by the organs of hearing are the most flattering and those impressions are the liveliest" (Donatien Alphonse François de Sade)

The "info at the side" is the metadata pane. It shows the metadata of the currently selected album, track or tracks. What you seem to suggest would make metadata browsing very cumbersome, as one would be forced to actually listen to a track in order to view its metadata. A better solution would be to introduce an option to make Audirvana automatically select the currently playing track every time a new track starts to play.

Or you could just close the metadata pane. ;)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Actually, that solution would work best for me, auto select info for currently playing track.

Can you do that as an optional check box in a future update Damien.

Or you could just close the metadata pane. ;)

--David

May not suit others, but I like seeing all the metadata for the track I'm playing :)

I had a friend round last night and we both concurred that the version 2.3.3 is the best version to date. When I initially down loaded the software I wasn't sure but there is a clear difference with the latest release that being there is less digital grain and a far better transparent sound, for me this version is the best to date.

Lee

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO

I had a friend round last night and we both concurred that the version 2.3.3 is the best version to date. When I initially down loaded the software I wasn't sure but there is a clear difference with the latest release that being there is less digital grain and a far better transparent sound, for me this version is the best to date.

Lee

+1

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

2.3.3 does sound good. There is a sense of some leanness compared to 2.3.2, but after listening to more tracks, 2.3.3 handles sibilants better, especially on borderline recordings.

All of my comments and listening refers to SQ with no upsampling.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

All of my comments and listening refers to SQ with no upsampling.

Same for me. My Chord Hugo seems to do a better job in upsampling. And I am still on Yosemite.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

Tried 2.3.3. Excellent inference compared with 2.2. The sound is good but still doesn't match 2.2.9.6. Less presence, less emotion. Overall the tone seems to be brighter.

I hope 2.3.4 will focus on SQ, now that tge usability bugs are fixed (didn't see anything in the release note of 2.3.3 about SQ improvements).

Jude

Tried both 2.3.3 and 2.3.2 again with upsampling switched off. Didn't like either. The sound was shut in and dull in my system.

With upsampling on, I still prefer 2.3.2 , but I've gone back to upsampling 44khz to 88khz instead of 44 to 96. Either through the last few months of software updates or other changes 96khz is too grainy.

It'll be interesting to see the sound signature Damien ultimately settles on, if he does.

It would really be great of A+ allowed the saving of presets for filters for upsampling. I would love to play around with the settings more, but it's time consuming enough to change between 2 or 3 groups of settings.

Just a thought...

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

Tried both 2.3.3 and 2.3.2 again with upsampling switched off. Didn't like either. The sound was shut in and dull in my system.

With upsampling on, I still prefer 2.3.2 , but I've gone back to upsampling 44khz to 88khz instead of 44 to 96. Either through the last few months of software updates or other changes 96khz is too grainy.

It'll be interesting to see the sound signature Damien ultimately settles on, if he does.

Looking at your system, it makes more sense that your USB cable is the weakest link in the chain. In the past I used a Kimber AG myself. I was a non-believer on cabling at the time. But upgrading to a higher end cable made a huge, huge difference. People are very positive on the relatively new Curious USB cable. Other top-cables are more expensive and supposedly out of proportion, given the DAC class you own.

Most of Damien's new release's do not mention any actions on change in sound quality. My assumption is that a change in sound quality between versions in an indirect result of more efficient, added or deleted coding and/or interactions with the operating system environment. For me 2.3.3 is the best sounding version to date.

Actually, I've found a solution to my "problem". I turned on max upsampling and that's solved it: 2.3.3 now sounds clearly better than 2.3.2 in my system. Thanks to this thread in the general forum: Great filtering: Does it matter and what does it sound like?

On a side note, I really have enjoyed the Kimber cable AG (blue). It took forever to burn in, but it's sounded "right" in my system since. I'm glad this latest fix for my system to get 2.3.3 sounded great was the upsampling software tweak.

Actually, I've found a solution to my "problem". I turned on max upsampling and that's solved it: 2.3.3 now sounds clearly better than 2.3.2 in my system. Thanks to this thread in the general forum: Great filtering: Does it matter and what does it sound like?

On a side note, I really have enjoyed the Kimber cable AG (blue). It took forever to burn in, but it's sounded "right" in my system since. I'm glad this latest fix for my system to get 2.3.3 sounded great was the upsampling software tweak.

Congrats. Still worth to test-drive some other USB-cables. My Kimber AG had over 2 years time to burn in... ;)

Results of iZotope upsampling is very DAC depended I learned. For instance, I had very pleasing results with power of 2 oversampling and maximum sample rate upsampling (combined with specific variables) with a Berkeley Alpha USB / Lyngdorf 'powerDAC' combination but for a Chord Hugo any upsampling leads to lesser quality in comparison by Hugo's internal processing. My experience of course.

A question: with upsampling set to Max Sample Rate, DSD64 upsamples to 176 (a specificsample rate my irDAC cannot handle) and the progress bar advances, but no music plays.

Is there a way to force DSD64 to 192 without setting everything to 192 (my Arcam irDAC's max) via the custom setting?

For some reason checking max sample rate sounds a bit better than setting 192 for everything in the custom dialog box.

I'm using simple decimation (it's the only way I can get dsd/dsf files to play with my dac).

My dsd64 playback problem is inconsistent. I came home after a few hors out and a dsd64 song was able to wake up the dac and play though I had max sample rate set.

I stopped (not paused) and the same song didn't wake the dac and the play indicator advanced in silence. I skipped forward to the next song, a redbook aiff file, then back and the dsd played. Maybe a bug in A+.

The dsd shows as being conveted to 176khz - which as I said in my last post I thought my dac couldn't play (it plays 192 fine, but skips over 176 according to some things I'd read).

Seems I'm just being teased me with the possibility of consistent playback.

All my songs from any sample rate i play them just play fine at any rate i upsampling them... to 176/192... if i want to go max with my DAC (see below) at 352/384, A+ will get hiccups at beginning of song or when it switches sample rate, but manage after 10 seconds to one minute approx my DAC stick with the sample rate given and plays well... but not always... annoying!!

i have the same problem with JRiver at 352/384, but JRiver can bitstream in DSD and output files in DSD or 2xDSD for my DAC with no problem ??? so now i switch... but i love Damien work for MAC only and small business, but... in the end... like Zappa said: Music is the best :-)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13