IGNORED

oppo 105 as computer DAC?

Could i use the oppo as a DAC to stream from a notebook? Using notebook to run roon wireless in house. To run on main stereo I can just plug usb to the oppo and go correct?

With the Oppo 95 and Oppo 103, and presumably the Oppo 105 also , there are SQ benefits to be had by using an Uptone USB Regen in line with their USB input ,even with USB memory sticks. There is a further benefit if the noisy +5V from the PC is isolated at the PC end.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

With the Oppo 95 and Oppo 103, and presumably the Oppo 105 also , there are SQ benefits to be had by using an Uptone USB Regen in line with their USB input ,even with USB memory sticks. There is a further benefit if the noisy +5V from the PC is isolated at the PC end.

I will look into the Regen and into the isolation of the PC as well.....

Could i use the oppo as a DAC to stream from a notebook? Using notebook to run roon wireless in house. To run on main stereo I can just plug usb to the oppo and go correct?

Yes. You can use the Oppo as a DAC (computer plays the files) and as a streamer (Oppo plays the files from a network server or USB storage).

"USB Asynchronous DAC – By bypassing the low fidelity, poor quality DAC of traditional computer soundcards, the BDP-105 turns any computer into a high performing multi-media source by converting digital audio to analog through the ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC."

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105-Features.aspx

Claude

With respect to some of the comments here ... ignore all the "add ons" such as Regen and isolating power supplies to start with. Get everything working first then start to tweak if you feel the need.

K*I*S*S is a good adage at least in the beginning

So yes, you can plug a laptop into the Oppo 105 via USB and use it as a DAC. Assuming you are using a Windows notebook you'll need the driver from -- https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105-Support.aspx

As an alternative you can use the Oppo to play music files stored on a network and control it either via a main display (TV) or via app on your smartphone / tables (if you have one). This is a little more involved but using it as a USB DAC should be pretty much plug and play.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

With respect to some of the comments here ... ignore all the "add ons" such as Regen and isolating power supplies to start with. Get everything working first then start to tweak if you feel the need.

K*I*S*S is a good adage at least in the beginning

With respect, those comments are coming from somebody who has most likely never owned any of the Oppo models mentioned, or had an opportunity lo listen to material via their USB inputs. The Oppo USB inputs suffer from exactly the same problems as the vast majority of other USB DACs, and benefit markedly from the same solutions as already posted by numerous other C.A. members.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

With respect, those comments are coming from somebody who has most likely never owned any of the Oppo models mentioned, or had an opportunity lo listen to material via their USB inputs. The Oppo USB inputs suffer from exactly the same problems as the vast majority of other USB DACs, and benefit markedly from the same solutions as already posted by numerous other C.A. members.

Alex. I'm not saying that a Regen or similar will not make a difference; what I'm saying is that as a starting point one is not needed and getting the setup working is the first step before introducing tweaks.

And you're right I've not owned an Oppo, I do however own a Cambridge Audio player built on the same platform.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

And you're right I've not owned an Oppo, I do however own a Cambridge Audio player built on the same platform.

Eloise

Does it have, and are you using a USB Input for Audio?

Alex

Does it have, and are you using a USB Input for Audio?

Alex, I'm not discussing this further as it's irrelevant to the OP and the question they asked.

Eloise

---

Alex, I'm not discussing this further as it's irrelevant to the OP and the question they asked.

Then perhaps you should have left the attached part out ?

It wasn't necessary, and you could have made your point clearly without that "greyed out" paragraph.

With respect to some of the comments here ... ignore all the "add ons" such as Regen and isolating power supplies to start with.

I've had my eye on this as a DAC/pre, since we have no disc player currently (apart from an Xbox One). It seems like a very good quality DAC for two-channel as well as surround, and with the various inputs and outputs, could presumably do everything.

My main question is about the volume control, as I would want to go directly into my 2-channel amp. I gather it is digital, and 32 bit, so attenuation shouldn't be a significant problem if the amp gain is sensible. Has anyone had experience with this as a DAC/pre combo?

The whole irrelevant tangent about USB is ... well ... tangentially irrelevant and a distraction from the thread. I wish there was some sort of filter I could put on my computer to keep this kind of noise from being injected into many of the threads I read.

I've had my eye on this as a DAC/pre, since we have no disc player currently (apart from an Xbox One). It seems like a very good quality DAC for two-channel as well as surround, and with the various inputs and outputs, could presumably do everything.

My main question is about the volume control, as I would want to go directly into my 2-channel amp. I gather it is digital, and 32 bit, so attenuation shouldn't be a significant problem if the amp gain is sensible. Has anyone had experience with this as a DAC/pre combo?

The whole irrelevant tangent about USB is ... well ... tangentially irrelevant and a distraction from the thread. I wish there was some sort of filter I could put on my computer to keep this kind of noise from being injected into many of the threads I read.

The 105D has a very flexible volume control configuration. Since I use mine with a separate pre-amp I have locked out the Oppo's volume attenuator. But you can set both fixed attenuation and range of attenuation in the Oppo software. I have heard of folks using it as a pree-amp directly (but you should check the output level specs to make sure you don't overdrive your Amplifier(s)).

As to the USB stuff, that does matter because the highest quality sound comes from using the USB input on the rear panel and that is further improved with a Regen or iUSB 3.0. I also have my 105D connected directly to my NAS over Ethernet, but I can hear a significant difference between a) the Oppo as network player for the NAS over wired Cat 7 Gigabit Ethernet and b) the same NAS over Ethernet playing through my battery powered laptop plus Roon or A+ into the Regen and then into the rear USB jack on the Oppo. Why? Not sure, but the difference is very noticeable.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

As to the USB stuff, that does matter because the highest quality sound comes from using the USB input on the rear panel and that is further improved with a Regen or iUSB 3.0

Besides which, Mr. Ill Tempered Audiophool, the OP asked this :

To run on main stereo I can just plug usb to the oppo and go correct?

sdolezalek

Do you know if the rear panel USB inputs on the Oppo 103 are also preferred over the front USB input ?

Alex

Besides which, Mr. Ill Tempered Audiophool, the OP asked this :

sdolezalek

Do you know if the rear panel USB inputs on the Oppo 103 are also preferred over the front USB input ?

Alex

Alex: I did read that somewhere but I now can't remember where. I do use the front USB input for 5.1 channel hi-res downloads that I keep on a separate USB stick and those play nicely through that input in all six channels. Oppo did specifically upgrade the asynchronous rear USB input on the "D" model from the 105 non-D (and presumably also from the BDP-103) version and then updated the firmware to allow it to accept DSD audio in standard rate (DSD64) or double rate (DSD128) via the new USB DAC input on the rear panel. The other three USB slots are all USB A slots (one on front and two more on the back). The asynchronous USB slot needs an operating system (such as from a PC or Mac) to "push" the files. All three of the type A slots will take files up to and through DSD64. Only the asynchronous B input can play DSD128 files.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Thanks for the info. I have been using the front USB port in conjunction with a Regen for USB Memory Stick play.

Regards

Alex

P.S.

I also copy the files on to the USB memory stick using the Regen.

It gives a further worthwhile improvement with high quality material.

You just couldn't resist, could you?

My reply wasn't directed at you, it was for the benefit of the original poster who asked about using the Oppo's USB input.