IGNORED

Need a new Dac/Pre

How about some of the Benchmark offerings. Or maybe a Mytek DSD 192 DAC. Both in the lower range of your budget.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Burson Conductor Virtuoso.

Offers a choice of two different DAC circuits -- Burr Brown or ESS, and you can even buy both and interchange them.

Is a preamp with three RCA inputs and a remote.

Plus, a big plus for some of us, is an excellent headphone amp.

I love mine.

Dave, who adds the company also gives good support if you need it

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I second the Burson. I own two of them, one in my headphone system, and the others one in my dedicated two channel system. Excellent products!

C.A.P. Pipeline, windows pro 10 > Roon > SOtM USB > Keces power supply > HDplex power supply > 4x2 HD Mini DSP > Ayre DSD QB-9 > Naim CDX > ModWright 9 S.E. Preamp > A21 Parasound Amplifier > Magnepan .7 > Augie's Dipole sub, ML sub, DIY sub > Dedicated room with acoustical treatment.

Sorry for being off topic, but curious about the Burson Virtuoso... Harve you guys compared it to the original Conductor or any other good DACs?

Luke, who owns and loves the original Conductor (when upsampled through A+)

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

In the OP's price range, the Mytek Brooklyn is worth a look/listen, IMO.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5