IGNORED

SOtM EMI Absorber Sheet. Does it really work?

Have you ever used it?

Does it improve the sound?

http://www.highend-audiopc.com/shop/en/accessories/sotm-eabs-100

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

These things do make a difference. But the prise is to stiff on this one, i use the following:

MuMetal (Ultraperm) Permalloy Alloy Shielding Sheet; Mu Metal Audio Shield 80 | eBay

From your given link (ebay), it's kind of shielding, not absorbing as i want.

Do they work the same? (Mu metal and SOtM absorber sheet)

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

Claudia, could you reply this for me? I'm gonna buy it next month.

Claudia, could you reply this for me? I'm gonna buy it next month.

Have you tried asking SOtM? They're helpful and always came back with a reply whenever i asked something.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

I've put some of the Mumetal sheets inside my hackintosh, and they're very effective for shielding (much less EMI/RFI outside, mesured with a trifield meter), but I don't know also about absorbing. Does it really matter, as the goal is mainly to protect external devices against these EMI/RFI ?

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

I've put some of the Mumetal sheets inside my hackintosh, and they're very effective for shielding (much less EMI/RFI outside, mesured with a trifield meter), but I don't know also about absorbing. Does it really matter, as the goal is mainly to protect external devices against these EMI/RFI ?

The reason why i'm interested in absorbing more than shielding is PC component almost self generate EMI such as CPU,RAM,Chip set. not only interfere from the outside environment.

Another reason is PC is hard to shield because it can't be sealed a hundred percent. PC need good air flow for heat ventilation. but i plan to shield it on some part such as cables.

For good air flow, i plan to use aluminium mesh instead of dust filter. I think it's gonna work!!!

Hi

yes it does work but indeed it is a pricey material. I've used it for my DAC, the Reclocker as well as for the case of my AudioPC and don't want to miss it. But it's not the kind of part you should start your optimizations with, it's more like where you finish them.

My Mytek DAC with eABS-100:

mytek-dac.jpg

Another users case with eABS-100:

13654632833_2d1eb0f1e9_o.jpg

Best,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Hi

yes it does work but indeed it is a pricey material. I've used it for my DAC, the Reclocker as well as for the case of my AudioPC and don't want to miss it. But it's not the kind of part you should start your optimizations with, it's more like where you finish them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22073[/ATTACH]

Another users case with eABS-100:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22074[/ATTACH]

Best,

Phil

Thanks Phil.

Yes it is not my first step for optimizing. I plan to use it after finish upgrading my mainboard ( PPA mb / ram / os ssd with clock upgrade.

I wanna make sure that it's a real absorber not shielding material.

Could you confirm that?

Ps. I have to buy it first because i have to affix it on the backside of mb (affix on pc chassis behind it) before i install mb.

Hi

as far as i know it is, but i will check with SOtM to give a proper answer.

Best,

Phil

Hi, Phil

Sorry for bothering you. I ever asked SOtM website. It took soooo long time waiting their reply.

Thanks elescher

I have been using this for several years. Official Site of Stillpoints - ERS.

Hi

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22073[/ATTACH]

Best,

Phil

You didn't cover the IC pins. I doubt it is helping much at all.

OP - look for AB5100S by 3M at Mouser etc

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

Hi

This is the reply from SOtM:

Hi Phil,

The eABS-100 is the EMI absorber which absorbs EMI noise as the name is literally. The sheet helps to eliminate the incidence EMI noise converting into a fine heat. Which means eABS-100 is totally different which is called EMI shielding material, the eABS-100 eliminates EMI but those EMI shielding material are reflecting EMI or blocking penetration of EMI. Also the eABS-100 helps eliminating the reflected incidence EMI. The thickness of eABS-100 is 1mm, supports up to 6G range EMI elimination and belongs to one of the good performance 1mm thickness absorber.

It can be attached to the inside of the product casing, as shown in the image, at the top and bottom plates over a large area. Also can be attached to an external input and output connectors. Or attached on the IC or RAM in the appropriate sized pieces.

We recommend finding the proper location to attach the appropriate sized eABS-100 rather than attaching the eABS-100 in large area at once, so that you can tune up the sound little by little.

The sound change will be occurred after attaching eABS-100.

• The high bandwidth will be calmer not too pick, the texture of instrument in the middle-high bandwidth will be improved and the sibilant voice can be smooth.
  • The unnecessary sense of volume on the low bandwidth will become lesser but the resolution on ultra low bandwidth will become higher and the stage will be wider.

We are going to update the information on our website soon. Thank you.

Best reagrds,

May

1289137853.JPG

1289138496.JPG

1289138504.JPG

1289139178.JPG

1289139186.JPG

1289139221.JPG

1289139236.JPG

1289139228.JPG

SOtM eABS-100: http://www.highend-audiopc.com/shop/en/accessories/sotm-eabs-100

Enjoy,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Ask them to send you the data sheet (from the manufacturer)

Here's the data sheet for the product mentioned above

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/1/517-AB5100S-2100MM-268282.pdf

$58 a sheet. SOtM is ripping you off (and likely in more ways than one).

This is superb BS:

We recommend finding the proper location to attach the appropriate sized eABS-100 rather than attaching the eABS-100 in large area at once, so that you can tune up the sound little by little.

The sound change will be occurred after attaching eABS-100.

• The high bandwidth will be calmer not too pick, the texture of instrument in the middle-high bandwidth will be improved and the sibilant voice can be smooth.
  • The unnecessary sense of volume on the low bandwidth will become lesser but the resolution on ultra low bandwidth will become higher and the stage will be wider.

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

Notice that these sheets only start to work at one gigahertz!

Mu metal slows down in the low megahertz range.

EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) is below the low megahertz range.

These sheets probably do what they are specked to do, but why would we need them?

Mu metal

Do you have its datasheet? I know a little about it.

Thank you so much Phil.

It's very kind of you.

These sheets probably do what they are specked to do, but why would we need them?

Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz can be caused wireless devices, Bluetooth devices, baby monitors and cordless telephones, video senders, and microwave ovens.

Snake oil or otherwise, many wise ones have noted the sonic benifits of these filters.

The two data sheet also provides slightly differing properties. I am not sure which is better as the number are in the metaphysical range.

I have them planned for my server application being cooked at this moment, Your guide to the Mu metal would be very welcome.

Thank you

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Snake oil or otherwise, many wise ones have noted the sonic benifits of these filters.

The two data sheet also provides slightly differing properties. I am not sure which is better as the number are in the metaphysical range.

I have them planned for my server application being cooked at this moment, Your guide to the Mu metal would be very welcome.

Thank you

The mind is a powerful thing... And this site is saturated in snake oil voodoo. Caveat emptor.

How can you make a judgement when you don't understand the data sheet (and only have a manufacturer data sheet for one of the products being discussed)? If SoTM can't/won't provide a manufacturer-produced data sheet for the product they sell then they're doing nothing but trying to obscure how they source it.

If you want to try it out, buy the $58 sheet from a known manufacturer with a clear data sheet. Proceed with huge scepticism. If you are pleasantly surprised and "wowed" then you got what you were after for less than half the cost of the "SoTM product". If not, you at least saved yourself the other $67.

Even a look on Wiki will help you with Mu metal and its shielding properties. Don't be lazy.

Don't forget your music server is already in an enclosure of, most likely, aluminium. It will provide a lot of shielding from external sources of EMI.

http://www.ets-lindgren.com/pdf/emctd_1293_weibler.pdf

Worried about EMI via the IEC inlet (the most likely entry point for EMI)? Well, just install a good one with an EMI filter:

15EJT1 TE Connectivity / Corcom | Mouser

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/418/NG_CD_15EJT1_G-654193.pdf

Spend your money as you see fit but be wary of reinforcing myths to justify your purchases.

Ask yourself what might be the source of EMI interference and just how might this interference manifest itself as a problem in an all-digital device and if so is it going to lead to an audible issue.

Frankly, I would rather invest in acoustic treatments that make a real difference, multiple subs for good bass management and products such a Dirac Live/Unison (the latter when available).

BTW Phil, the biggest source of internally-generated EMI in your DAC box is likely the toroidal transformer...albeit at least toroidal transformer are better than other types in this regard. I note you didn't feel fit to wrap the transformer...

A good transformer will have electrostatic shields between its primary and secondary windings and even better ones will shield the entire transformer potting it in an aluminium case.

Food for thought: when was the last time you opened up a high-end amplifier, computer, CD player or whatever and found its PCBs and ICs covered with EMI absorption pads? And manufacturers of these products are very focused on EMI radiation because they're obliged to meet FCC radiation standards.

Dabble if you must but don't be ripped off on pricing as you do and approach the subject with a good deal of scepticism.

Mu metal

Do you have its datasheet? I know a little about it.

See:

"Electromagnetic Compatibility" by Henry Ott

Section 6.8 'Shielding with magnetic materials'

EMC Books

Mu metal is best for magnetic shielding below 100 kHz, above 100 kHz it's about the same as ordinary steel.

As for gigahertz interference, see the 'JJJ' post.

Or read the above book.