IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

However, when you upgrade go for a 4ghz i7 Skylake...

Does it need to be 4ghz? I was thinking about an i7 6700T at 2.8ghz. The 35w tdp kind of appeals :).

Yes, I did listen to PCM

Thanks for the feedback. Yep, figured the T&A must be special to make you sell your Brooklyn so soon.

Does it need to be 4ghz? I was thinking about an i7 6700T at 2.8ghz. The 35w tdp kind of appeals :).

Thanks for the feedback. Yep, figured the T&A must be special to make you sell your Brooklyn so soon.

Larry (or Jussi/Miska) can give you more info...but I'm pretty sure that processor would be fine for DSD256...but not DSD512. I have a 16 core e5 2.6ghz with massive L3 and it will not do DSD512. If I were you I would focus on moving to a machine capable of DSD512...given what I have heard...that is almost certainly what the high end future holds.

Larry recently built a very inexpensive PC for audio specifically to do DSD512...not sure whether he is sharing his recipe publicly or not.

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

I'm pretty sure that processor would be fine for DSD256...but not DSD512

Thanks for the info...will look into it one day.

Lucky to be borrowing a Brooklyn from a friend (actually my father) for a week, and must say it sounds great.

Should it be that when bypass is 'on' and you set output to 'both' (for simultaneously using headphones and speakers), then you hear nothing through either? Only with bypass 'off' does 'both' work as in the manual?

Larry (or Jussi/Miska) can give you more info...but I'm pretty sure that processor would be fine for DSD256...but not DSD512. I have a 16 core e5 2.6ghz with massive L3 and it will not do DSD512. If I were you I would focus on moving to a machine capable of DSD512...given what I have heard...that is almost certainly what the high end future holds.

Larry recently built a very inexpensive PC for audio specifically to do DSD512...not sure whether he is sharing his recipe publicly or not.

Actually, there is nothing to it. It's an Asus Z170 motherboard, I7-6700k processor, 8 gigs of 2400 mhz DDR4 memory, powered by a 400 watt Seasonic fanless power supply, with an low profile Scythe fan.

The machine boots Windows or Audiolinux over the network from a NAS like machine built from a quad core embedded J1900 CPU Asrock motherboard, 4 gigs of memory and a 4tb WD hard disk.

It's pretty simple hardware, but the software config is a challenge.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

That can be ok for DSD512, but what about DSD1024?

I just upgraded to such a machine, it has even 16 GB of memory. But nothing in my mind tempts me to use it for music reproduction.

This whole discussion reminds me to the reasons that are behind MQA. Files will get bigger and bigger, but never reach the real purity, although they come verrrrry close.

Closer and closer and closer.

Marc

That can be ok for DSD512, but what about DSD1024?

I just upgraded to such a machine, it has even 16 GB of memory. But nothing in my mind tempts me to use it for music reproduction.

This whole discussion reminds me to the reasons that are behind MQA. Files will get bigger and bigger, but never reach the real purity, although they come verrrrry close.

Closer and closer and closer.

Marc

Yes it is like the biblical story about the Tower of Babylon ;-)

Robert-Jan

Yes it is like the biblical story about the Tower of Babylon ;-)

Once you have heard DSD512 on a pure DSD circuit there is no going back. I seriously doubt that DSD1024 will be much better. There are many factors that suggest we nearing the end...including the fact that processor chips can't go much faster. That said, I'm sure in 5 years the equipment that does DSD512 will be a lot cheaper...but not necessarily better. At that point DSD512 will also be exploding into multichannel systems.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

My Brooklyn has got his perfect shot of audio doping. Now there is no way back anymore. It sounds like it is playing in another league, and - damn - it shines in every aspect. It's just so unfair! If it were the Olympics, he would be disqualified!

Marc

How do you mean?

Anyway, now it is time to promote it to a central position in my set. The turntable will take the analog inputs, with a new phono cable. That will come from the 2 spares that are left over after this move. My other digital gear will have to do with their digital connections.

My couch patato period starts (sometimes disturbed by placing a LP on the Dual, for old times sake)

Marc

No, I wasn't. At all. It's the best way to enhance the already very good sound of the Brooklyn, that many of you have done by attaching an external power supply. I did not do that. My Brooklyn got its audio shot and the effect is overwhelming. I was hoping for it, but I was still unprepared for what happened when I turned it on this evening.

Attaching the turn table is next thing to do.

Marc

okay, so you were referring to attaching a turntable.

So reports of the phono stage being great-sounding weren't wide of the mark. That's good news!

Mumsoft, what do you mean by audio doping?

My Brooklyn has got his perfect shot of audio doping. Now there is no way back anymore. It sounds like it is playing in another league, and - damn - it shines in every aspect. It's just so unfair! If it were the Olympics, he would be disqualified!

Marc

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I call it audio doping for the effect is has on my appreciation of the music. But I can't tell you exactly what it is, only how it looks like. It's part of a development of which I was a witnes in the last 6 or 7 years. It caused my humble Olive to sound almost the same on its own as via the Brooklyn. But now the Brooklyn has got its own treatment.

Commercially you can buy now so called audio tiles, but this is a rather new outcome of the experiments, based on findings of the Dutch audio technician Henri van der Heide way back in 1985 and onwards.

I just stand aside, watching it in amazement, and willing to parpicitate. Eager, so to say.

So I have bought such an audio tile, but knowing that something more is possible, I liked to have my Brooklyn to have his own audio doping, as my Olive got about 6 years ago, when there were still no audio tiles to buy. In those days it was all free, just experimental.

When some people here began to talk about external power supplies, and what they did, I thought of my experiences and knew that a similar, if not much better result, could be realized with some doping.

Marc

I will. The ones I bought are not made anymore, and I have one recent model, but I got that one to try out. I have asked the producer about it. I know there is not a big factory behind it.

Anyway, now that my Brooklyn finally has been treated, I will see Mr. Kamsma to let him look at it. a015.gif

If someone else lives nearby and want to make a visit (even if he doesn't live nearby), he's welcome e010.gif

Marc

Hi guys..am thinking of buying a Brooklyn - to mainly act as a headamp at my study/desk or in a quiet lounge. Would most likely be feeding it from an Aurilac Aries Mini which I have just bought. It will be a bit of a long cable run from lounge to study - 20 feet to 25 feet. The Aries Mini coax out will be used for other duties so my choices seem to be either a long usb cable or a long toslink cable.

Any suggestions on which will work better for the Mytek? (do both go through its DAC or does the toslink bypass its dac in which case usb seems the go)

If I use a relatively cheap usb cable then I can add a clean up device on the end such as wyrd from schiit - unless you tell me the Mytek clean up is all I need. (I have some good usb cable in short runs but this is longer)

I don't do DSD and doubt I ever will, have some 24/96 and look forward to listening to rebook MQA and Tidal MQA

many thanks in advance for your thoughts - Vincent

Hi guys..am thinking of buying a Brooklyn - to mainly act as a headamp at my study/desk or in a quiet lounge. Would most likely be feeding it from an Aurilac Aries Mini which I have just bought. It will be a bit of a long cable run from lounge to study - 20 feet to 25 feet. The Aries Mini coax out will be used for other duties so my choices seem to be either a long usb cable or a long toslink cable.

Any suggestions on which will work better for the Mytek? (do both go through its DAC or does the toslink bypass its dac in which case usb seems the go)

If I use a relatively cheap usb cable then I can add a clean up device on the end such as wyrd from schiit - unless you tell me the Mytek clean up is all I need. (I have some good usb cable in short runs but this is longer)

I don't do DSD and doubt I ever will, have some 24/96 and look forward to listening to rebook MQA and Tidal MQA

many thanks in advance for your thoughts - Vincent

Icron manufacture very good USB extenders that cover USB audio class 2 (480Mbs) over Cat 5e cable which covers 300' or several miles with Fiber Optic cables. 15' is the limit for USB, IMRC, S/PDIF is the same, possibly only 12' on their own. The Icron receiver end requires no power supply, but the transmitter does, it's included with the extender. It's a truly plug and Play device, no setups required for any OS.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I promoted my Brooklyn to the central position in the set. Attached the turntable to it, de-attached all analogue cables except one (the Brooklyn) from the amplifier, and now the Brooklyn can do his duty for all three sources. It's a pity that putting an LP on my Dual still needs some handling, otherwise I can sit in my lazy chair, now and then pushing a button on the remote.

Marc.

BTW Update 2.07 is out.