IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

I believe so. My link starts with a Dutch translation, but with the three dots in the upper right corner, I could choose the English text.

Marc

Thanks, Mumsoft. Did not know that those options existed! I was able to highlight, copy and paste into MSWord so I could read offline and share. Maybe he'll review the Manhattan also.

Anyone who tried the jumpers that came with the Brooklyn? Some one told me that it reduces the noise of the phonotrap.

Marc

I am using my Brooklyn with the jumpers and it made a world of difference with my preamp. I was not able to reduce the noise on the MC analog input with the jumpers so I ended up purchasing a step-up transformer that totally eliminated the noise. I paid $339 USD for a Parks Audio Budgie: Parks Audio Budgie 'Cinemag' SUT, that has allowed me to listen to albums again.

Hi All,

I am an audiophile for quite a few years, but I took the computer audiophile plunge quite recently. Currently my main system is as follows.

Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation Speakers

Devialet Expert 200 (for the two front channels)

Primare A30.7 (for center and surround channels)

Primare SP33 as the AV receiver

Media PC

Various grades of Purist Audio Design and Siltech cabling (power, speakers, interconnects)

Having introduced myself, I recently acquired the Brooklyn DAC for an alternative setup at my desk computer. It has arrived with the latest firmware (2.05), and at the moment I am using it connected with the usb cable to the pc and exlusively as a balanced headphone amplifier.

Although it sounds briliant straight out of the box, I have the following need for clarification.

The 4 front buttons left and right the screens don't do anything for me. Is is normal for my setup? only Headphone amp and only usb in? The dispaly is locked to show the file resolution on the left and the volume on the right. The unit configuration responds to the Mytek controller via the PC but cant change anything through the buttons. Is there anything wrong with my unit or does it operate as expected? Is there a config setting that I need to tamper with?

Secondly let me squeeze the PC audiophile noob question in. Having selected the 16bit 44100Khz as the default sound scheme under the sound properties on the pc, do I limit myself to not being capable of listening higher resolution files? Do I need to change the pc setting every time I change the resolution of the played file?

Thanks in advance.

AT

If you push the big button, it should alter the screen and the four tiny buttons should have their meaning.

Marc

Wow, could it be that although i pressed the main knob for a period to put the device in standby mode, i never pressed it briefly to see if anything changes? I'll try it when I get home. Feeling like the total noob (noobs and knobs dont go well together)...to my defense the manual reads:

"The four buttons, one encoder and the high-resolution display enable the user toquickly change and configure the device’s settings. There are always fourparameters shown at the bottom of the display." followed by "To enter the one of four parameters menu shown on the display, press one of thefour buttons located on the left and right side of LCD display."

The reference to "One encoder" didn't click in my head as "press the rotary knob to enter the menu", so I perceived that the rotary knob is only for volume and on/off.

Thanks

PS. what about my other noob question?

I am using my Brooklyn with the jumpers and it made a world of difference with my preamp. I was not able to reduce the noise on the MC analog input with the jumpers so I ended up purchasing a step-up transformer that totally eliminated the noise. I paid $339 USD for a Parks Audio Budgie: Parks Audio Budgie 'Cinemag' SUT, that has allowed me to listen to albums again.

Another very efficient solution to the noise issue with low output mc cartridges is swapping the internal switching power supply with an external linear regulated one. This option provided by the manufacturer is very easy to implement and does not only solve the issue mentioned completely but also improves the overall sonic quality of the dac even further.

Another very efficient solution to the noise issue with low output mc cartridges is swapping the internal switching power supply with an external linear regulated one. This option provided by the manufacturer is very easy to implement and does not only solve the issue mentioned completely but also improves the overall sonic quality of the dac even further.

I agree completely about the sound quality improvement you get by using a good external linear PSU. I think it makes the Brooklyn sound almost as a different DAC.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.-

Groucho Marx

It makes one wonder: which one is the best, which one is the cheapest, and which one is the best value.

Marc

AFAIK the Qualiaphysic one has great specs and it sure works wonders. Not the cheapest though.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.-

Groucho Marx

The jumpers reduce the signal by 6 dB to 2.2 Volts from 4.4 Volts and that is a relief for many an amplifier.

Robert-Jan

Robert-Jan

But where do you place those jumpers? The manual is not clear at this point. Those ten pairs on the picture don't tell which four of them long for a hat.

Apart from them I see many other uncovered pins.

Marc

In the manual is a picture with a lot of the circuit board blurred and the four times two pins to be bridged in focus.

Robert-Jan

Robert-Jan

But where do you place those jumpers? The manual is not clear at this point. Those ten pairs on the picture don't tell which four of them long for a hat.

Apart from them I see many other uncovered pins.

Marc

To be honest, it took me a while before I understood the picture in the manual.

Robert-Jan

Robert-Jan

Secondly let me squeeze the PC audiophile noob question in. Having selected the 16bit 44100Khz as the default sound scheme under the sound properties on the pc, do I limit myself to not being capable of listening higher resolution files? Do I need to change the pc setting every time I change the resolution of the played file?

No, not if you play your music using software that adjusts sample rate on the fly for you.

On the PC, many prefer JRiver or Foobar. I believe the former has a free trial and the later is free.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256