IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Thanks, did not work. Dll...

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate.

You keep on telling us about a dll problem and earlier that because of that you couldn't upgrade. If that is correct I would kindly suggest to check that problem head on i.e. By repairing all your software and when you succeed try the Mytek software again. Sometimes installation of software 'corrupts' dll files in Windows.

Robert-Jan

You keep on telling us about a dll problem and earlier that because of that you couldn't upgrade. If that is correct I would kindly suggest to check that problem head on i.e. By repairing all your software and when you succeed try the Mytek software again. Sometimes installation of software 'corrupts' dll files in Windows.

I did a fresh install of Windows 10. The dll problem remains.

I did a fresh install of Windows 10. The dll problem remains.

Very enigmatic indeed. A fresh install should make it impossible to have any corruption of dll files. Time for a ticket than and hopefully Mytek can come up with a solution. Best of luck to you.

Robert-Jan

Just for grins, I uninstalled the Mytek software from my Win 10 64 bit laptop and deleted all references using revo uninstaller. From there the reinstall ran perfectly. I did notice that the visual C++ 2012 x64 runtime library was installed on the same date as the original Mytek software installation.

Perhaps this is your issue? Do you have the C++ redistributable installed? If so, is it the x86 or x64 bit version? When doing the clean install did you upgrade to 64 bit win 10? Pro or standard?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Mytek wants all firmware versions to be compatible with all Brooklyns. Your Brooklyn sounds not good, the colour on the display is not stable, the MCP's won't inststall, be it on Win7 or 10.

My guess: you have a faulty unit.

Let it be replaced.

Marc

Mytek wants all firmware versions to be compatible with all Brooklyns. Your Brooklyn sounds not good, the colour on the display is not stable, the MCP's won't inststall, be it on Win7 or 10.

My guess: you have a faulty unit.

Let it be replaced.

Marc

You are right. At least it kept me bussy during the weekend. I already made the return label...

As a matter as fact, I even think that I will stick with the 192dsd. With the Brooklyn I was hoping to get that last 5% refinement in the high frequencies. Nothing more nothing less. With this particular Brooklyn it turned out the other way. Wheter it is faulty or not, I do not know. But I have lost my trust a little bit in the Brooklyn.

Just for grins, I uninstalled the Mytek software from my Win 10 64 bit laptop and deleted all references using revo uninstaller. From there the reinstall ran perfectly. I did notice that the visual C++ 2012 x64 runtime library was installed on the same date as the original Mytek software installation.

Perhaps this is your issue? Do you have the C++ redistributable installed? If so, is it the x86 or x64 bit version? When doing the clean install did you upgrade to 64 bit win 10? Pro or standard?

I did instal Windows 10 32 bit.

As my Brooklyn sounds incredible. Incredible because it sounds not worse to what I already have. What, if someone came to hear it, always made him wonder how I did it, and always produced a big grin on his face. The same big grin as I had for years when I thought about my set.

Because of all that, I believe that your new Brooklyn will be a relieve.

The 3 amp rating at 12V for the Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 12V - 13.2V comes from the "maximum continuous output rating of 36W", so this is a 3 amp average rating for the Sbooster PSU. Unfortunately, Sbooster doesn't specify an ambient temperature limit for this rating or a peak transient current capacity, nor does Mytek say whether their recommendation for 4 amp or more rating is continuous or peak, or just a specification suggestion to assure compatibility.

Sbooster believes from their tests that the Brooklyn will stay well within their "maximum continuous output rating of 36W". They apparently believe it can handle the peak transient current needs fine, too. They state: "We have checked the power consumption for 10 – 15 minutes. The power consumption of the Mytek Brooklyn is 10 - 12W (44.1 – DSD) without headphone usage." The 3 amp rating of the Sbooster PSU might be fine for the Brooklyn. I wouldn't dismiss it just because it has a 3 amp rating, and Mytek suggests 4 amp or higher. Tweek Geek has a money back trial offer that I imagine applies to the Sbooster PSU. Perhaps, the Sbooster might not be a good match if the Brooklyn is driving low impedance, low efficiency headphones. It's doubtful, though, that power demands would increase enough to be a problem. I'd like to hear from Mytek if they really think the Sbooster PSU is inadequate for the Brooklyn, and why.

PSU specifications aren't the whole story for current capacity. Where a power supply is located and situated for cooling, and ambient temperatures, can be important factors in continuous power handling capacity. Overheating is a major enemy for power supplies and lots of other electronics.

The greatest benefit of using an external PSU with the Brooklyn may come mostly from just getting the PSU out of the case of the DAC. There are also potential issues for how grounding is handled. AC power grounds can be very poor. An AC line can bring a lot of noise inside a case, and PSUs themselves usually generate lots of electromagnetic interference and radio frequency interference (EMI/RFI). Both combined, if not highly shielded and isolated, can increase clock jitter, and interfere with DAC electronics. A PSU can also generate physical vibration that may reduce DAC performance. I think it was a design mistake to even put an AC power supply inside the case of the Brooklyn. It's pretty clear from owner reports that an external PSU is essential for achieving the Brooklyn's potential goodness. My guess is that even if Mytek put the identical switching PSU in a separate box outside the case, there could be a substantial performance improvement.

As I implied before, there are many other factors than current capacity of a PSU that can determine sonic goodness in audio applications. Since the DC power input jack on the Brooklyn is labeled 7V-14V, it's possible that tight voltage regulation is not important -- that a battery may work well. Tight voltage regulation, though, indicates low effective output impedance and low noise, which are usually good. Other than benefits received from just not using the internal PSU, minimizing noise input through the DC power input, including radio frequencies, might be the most important factor for external PSU quality for enhancing Brooklyn performance. A battery may or may not be good in this regard depending on how it is shielded and connected, as well as how much noise it generates itself. At least, a battery has a major advantage of completely separating the DAC from interactions with the AC power line and other equipment attached to it. It may be a situational thing, which configuration is going to be best with any particular environment and system.

Beside the PSU, DAC electronics produce EMI/RFI that interfere with other circuits in the DAC. My own experiments with EMI/RFI reduction inside the cases of two DACs has proven very audibly beneficial to performance. One had an internal PSU, and another an external PSU. I believe most audio electronic engineers don't give adequate consideration to EMI/RFI issues that can dramatically affect sonic results. I call upon Mytek with the v2 generation of the Brooklyn, that will probably use the recently announced new generation ESS Sabre DAC chips (after they get a new edition of the Manhattan completed), to remove the PSU from inside the case of the Brooklyn.

Another factor with using typical AC power in our homes is AC line filtering and surge suppression, and the power cords between the AC outlet and our audio devices. In my system, a pair of Shunyata Venom Defender parallel line filters and a few Shunyata power cords have provided a wonderful improvement. The benefit to the DAC indicates my existing DAC PSU doesn't isolate well from AC line disturbances or is creating noise of it's own that the power cord and Venom Defender are suppressing. AC power tweaks in my system have been critical to achieving enjoyable results. I have two separate dedicated AC power lines with their own circuit breakers for my audio system, one for the DAC, and one for the active speakers. The amazing large 3D acoustic space and imaging with warm smooth natural detailed focused instruments and voices just doesn't happen if I remove various tweaks.

What AC power filtration are you Brooklyn DAC owners using with it, or with your external PSU? Does it help? Does something like a Shunyata Venom Defender provide an improvement? Does upgrading the power cord matter much?

Experimentation with a variety of PSUs, power cords, and AC line conditioning may be enlightening.

This may solve the problem. Pretty simple to install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

I can't see how this could do something good for mikesp1. I did a factory setting with Win 10, and without anything else installed (it had not even internet!), the MCP installation went fine

I think he knows now that his Brooklyn is not working as advertised, en in his struggle to get it working, he installed Win 10, and so he has a maintained OS in the end, which is a big plus.

Like me, I had a not maintained very old Open Suse 11.x on my netbook, and tried to get usb-audio running on it, which failed. Now I have a maintained Open Suse 13.1 on it, the usb-audio works nicely, and I'm better off.

Marc

Yes, you are probably right about the C++ runtime. The first time the Mytek software was installed here, the runtime library was automatically installed as well. I can see that on the installation time stamps, so it seemed like a clue to what is happening in Mikes system with missing DLLs.

@OB Ron (as my phone doesn't allow replying with quote):

"We have checked the power consumption for 10 – 15 minutes. The power consumption of the Mytek Brooklyn is 10 - 12W (44.1 – DSD) without headphone usage."

This measure is also without MQA enabled. It might add to some more power chewing, especially at the unfolding stage.

So, we better wait and see.

Marc

Yes, you are probably right about the C++ runtime. The first time the Mytek software was installed here, the runtime library was automatically installed as well. I can see that on the installation time stamps, so it seemed like a clue to what is happening in Mikes system with missing DLLs.

I want to thank all of you for the kind help.

The Brooklyn went back to the vendor today.

The 192 dsd installed fine on Windows 10. No dll problems at all ☺

I like the warm forward sound of the 192. The Brooklyn had no synergy in my system, sure it was more revealing but in a way it was not listenable. I prefer musicality over an analytical over the top revealing system. Wheter the Brooklyn was broken, I do not know. In the end the two oled screens with different color tint, the poor quality of the volume / select knob and software problems triggered me to look elsewhere.

Dac suggestions are welcome!

Maybe some day I come back to Mytek.

In the mean time I wish anyone here on the forum a happy listening with their Brooklyns. Enjoy☺

Mike

For those who are facing the same dll problem, I have got a reply from Mytek with a workaround.

Dear Mike,

We are working to make our installer fully compatible with Windows 32bit. It should be available within a two weeks. In the meantime please install the Mytek Control Panel driver as mentioned below.

There are three elements installed: the Brooklyn DAC USB driver, the Mytek Control Application and the Mytek Control Application driver. That last element was not installed properly in your system.

Please turn off the DAC and uninstall all Brooklyn DAC resources previously installed. Reboot your computer and:

1. install Mytek Control Panel driver

http://www.mytekdigital.com/pub/MytekControl_x86.driver.zip

Follow the link below to see tutorial "how to install this driver in Device Manager".

Driver Install - Device Manager - Windows 7 Help Forums

2. install the Control Panel

http://www.mytekdigital.com/pub/MytekControlPanel_x86%20%5bno.MCP.driver.included%5d_v.1.03.zip

3. install USB driver if was uninstalled.

http://www.mytekdigital.com/pub/MytekUSB2Drv_v3.29.0.zip

Turn on the DAC - all should work fine now.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Did you yourself try that? Probably not, as you have sent your Brooklyn back towards its maker.

Nothing of the complaints you have do ring a bell in me. Maybe, one day, you meet someone with a warm, 3D, analytical, involving, engaging, pure, deeply emotional, in every nerve musical, and beautiful looking DAC. I bet it will be a Mytek Brooklyn. e010.gif

Marc

A weird read in translation, but it seemed like the reviewer favorably compared the Brooklyn to his Chord Hugo TT. Is that the gist of it?

(Where in Kenya? I got to visit a bunch of times during my (now) wife's two-year assignment there. I absolutely love the place.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Yesterday was spent listening to the phono and coax inputs of the Brooklyn. We compared a new Zanden model 120 phono stage with the Brooklyn MC input. Both machines were connected to a Tortuga LDR preamp, amplifiers and Avante Garde Duos.

The Brooklyn beat the Zanden in a black and white kinda way. We were both quite surprised. Mytek knows how to design high quality microphone inputs for their proaudio ADCs. This experience was clearly transfered to the phono world in an effective fashion.

Next we connected the Brooklyn to an Esoteric DV50S transport via the coax input. We then listened to three power supplies, the internal SMPS, and two custom linear power supplies, one old and one new based on the AMB Sigma 11 regulator board.

Both linears beat the internal SMPS with the speed of the Sigma 11 winning the day with more resolution and openness. This is a great DIY power supply for the Brooklyn.

All for now.

I want to thank all of you for the kind help.

The Brooklyn went back to the vendor today.

The 192 dsd installed fine on Windows 10. No dll problems at all ☺

I like the warm forward sound of the 192. The Brooklyn had no synergy in my system, sure it was more revealing but in a way it was not listenable. I prefer musicality over an analytical over the top revealing system. Wheter the Brooklyn was broken, I do not know. In the end the two oled screens with different color tint, the poor quality of the volume / select knob and software problems triggered me to look elsewhere.

Dac suggestions are welcome!

Maybe some day I come back to Mytek.

In the mean time I wish anyone here on the forum a happy listening with their Brooklyns. Enjoy☺

Mike

Not sure how you were running it but there is simply no comparison between a Brooklyn running at DSD256 and a 192-DSD running at DSD128. Also burn-in is really critical with the Brooklyn. You need 100-150s hours on it...running music...becomes a completely different unit. I didn't like the brooklyn the first day...two weeks later it is really amazing. I evaluated a burned in 192-DSD...but it was no match for my Auralic Vega at DSD128...not really close...but then again the Vega was twice the money. The Vega has now been clearly beaten by the Brooklyn...once burned in it is another class. It will be interesting to see if the Vega makes a comeback when it is upgraded to DSD256...got a love note from Auralic yesterday and apparently they are ready to start doing the upgrades.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.