IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

About 2.07 firmware unfortunately there's still no display off option when the DAC is on. :(

Yep! You might want it off while listening to music or if you prefer to keep the dac on 24/7 (ie not in standby)

Maybe they are unable to change it for some reason?

Don't know how difficult it is but still think it will be possible with a future firmware update.

About the display's image retention issue I talked about, Mytek has just asked me to send my DAC to their factory in Poland (as I live in Europe).

My first impressions about Mytek's customer service are quite positive BTW.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.-

Groucho Marx

What nc1988 has reported is just what I now also experience. My brooklyn has been waiting for some weeks without being used, so when nc1988 reported his No Lock issue(s), I could not try it myself. I must stress that after update 2.0.5 I never noticed this behaviour, but now I do.

Actually it is playing at this moment very beautifully some cd-rip, and the display shows No Lock. When I set MQA to disable, the correct figures are displayed (16/44.1 most of the time), but changing MQA to enabled immediately leads to the No Lock isssue (but still playing music!).

Having said this, sometimes the correct figures are displayed even with MQA enabled, and even if no MQA source is played. But I can't recall what I did then. BTW I use the SPDIF input solely.

The only other thing that I changed: the analogue input is no longer Line, but phono MM.

Imho this behaviour is not how it should be. I like to have MQA enabled all the time, and always see the correct resolution figures.

Marc

Another finding. If the Brooklyn has been disconnected from the power, and starts up, there is no issue. With or without MQA the information is correct.

So I guess the No Lock has something to do with keeping the Brooklyn in standby.

Marc

Finally I could listen a little Brooklyn. Firstly I hope I set up it good not sure. Second I will wait for more burn. But for now intial impressions is very good sound is bigger, more accurate, more detailed, more dynamic, more bass etc. then Hugo. But I like on Hugo more peacefull flow sound it is sound more right to me strangely because I really think preamp is not the strongest side of the Hugo and overal I think it has far from reference sound but it sound quite nice.. But as I said will wait for more burn, Brooklyn have definitely potencial. One ask How I can off Brooklyn? And is it normal it is quite hot internal supply? A little smell too.

6fz6tw.jpg

Some song pretty amazing, listened Ramin Djawadi, Axel Schultheiss and vocal guitar music and some dance music. I am using it as dac preamp for active speaker. I think maybe some quality a little lower price dac with nice diy preamp could be better as whole. But I think I will be happy, good all in one Brooklyn. I will make some nice picture during time.

About the display off option while the Brooklyn is on Mytek's customer service just confirmed that it will be available soon.

Nice one Mytek, that's good news! I'd also like to see an option for showing the volume only (with one large digit to each of the two windows) rather than volume and bit rate/ freq. I can barely see the volume setting at around 3 metres away.

I've got my Dad's Brooklyn here for a few days because he wants me to check everything works as it should before taking it back. Also doing a quick comparison between the Mytek's USB and SPDIF from a Singxer F1 DDC (which is currently burning in)

I've got my Dad's Brooklyn here for a few days because he wants me to check everything works as it should before taking it back. Also doing a quick comparison between the Mytek's USB and SPDIF from a Singxer F1 DDC (which is currently burning in)

Please let us know what you think about USB vs S/PDIF on the Brooklyn. I feel pretty strongly that the Brooklyn's predecessor sounds better via S/PDIF (with my Audiophilleo + PurePower), but the Brooklyn's USB is all new.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Brooklyn compare to some higher price DACs such as Auralic Vega, Bryston BDA-3, Chord Hugo Regular and TT and PS direct stream junior.

How is it? Are they different much?

Thanks.

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

I've owned a Bryston BDA-2 Auralic Vega, and the Mytek Brooklyn. The Brooklyn is the best of the bunch and a great value. Its has a very open and cohesive sound stage, deep bass, an incredible feature set, and can be upgraded with a high quality external LPS when you are ready. It also has a very high quality USB input that negates the need for USB enhancement devices. MQA too.

Highly recommended!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Please let us know what you think about USB vs S/PDIF on the Brooklyn. I feel pretty strongly that the Brooklyn's predecessor sounds better via S/PDIF (with my Audiophilleo + PurePower), but the Brooklyn's USB is all new.

--David

FWIW with around 65 hrs on the clock, the plus of the F1 is deeper bass (amazing actually!) and a slightly bigger sound. Negative is that it seems to over-thicken with less air. Will see if that changes with double/ treble the hours. This is through $30 DBI pro 700 headphones, as my other gear was sold ages ago.

Question to anyone: I uninstalled Mytek's (modified xmos) driver before installing the Singxer xmos driver, in order to avoid any conflicts between them. Unfortunately that means that the Mytek Control panel (which I find handy when toggling between two separate partitions on my PC) no longer works. If I reinstall the Mytek driver, in order to get back the panel, will that create any kind of conflict between drivers?

DSD and Mac OS X: Can someone clarify something for me.... what is the highest useable DSD rate with the Brooklyn connected to Mac OSX? You have to use DoP not Native DSD - right? So is it DSD128 because of the DoP overhead?

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

Dsd128, unless you use either a Windows or Linux hqplayer NAA to connect to the Brooklyn. Those two options work great for DSD256.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

Dsd128, unless you use either a Windows or Linux hqplayer NAA to connect to the Brooklyn. Those two options work great for DSD256.

Robert

Thanks for confirming - that's what I thought. Mac OS X has a real disadvantage when it comes to DSD it seems.Would be tempted by the HQPlayer NAA route but all my library is in ALAC so the only way would be to use Roon/HQP but that starts to get a bit expensive. Anyway, thanks for the info again.

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

You could be right about pcm being similar on the Mytek and T&A, but forum feedback I've read hasn't been unanimously positive regarding the recently replaced, older T+A Dac 8. Guessing that pcm performance is roughly similar with the newer model?

Anyhow, listening to the Brooklyn now and it's sounding dynamic and exciting with pcm. No complaints so far..

No doubt DSD is better but requires more powerful hardware too. Should hopefully update my pc later this year.[/quote

Nice to hear your comment on PCM

The Truth Is Out There

I was wondering has anyone with a Brooklyn had a chance to compare any of those MQA files over on 2L against the same music in its DSD file also on 2L. 2L High Resolution Music .:. free TEST BENCH

It sure would be interesting to hear comments on how the Brooklyn performs with a MQA file vs a DSD file of the same song.

I have listened to the 2L downloads, and can't say there was a discernable difference between DSD256 and MQA files of the same track. I also played the DXD masters, which sounded different, but I suspect was mostly due to the difference in gain level. After trying to level match, it got hard to pinpoint any one thing, so I abandoned the comparison effort feeling this was all much to do about nothing.

So I guess in the end one can say that MQA does pretty well compressing the DXD master and reproducing the high resolution information. I could not find any original MQA recordings so that stone was left unturned.

If I owned Tidal, I'd be dancing. I don't, so it is a bit of a yawn.

DSD256 upsampled to DSD512 with HQplayer is spectacular however.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I was wondering has anyone with a Brooklyn had a chance to compare any of those MQA files over on 2L against the same music in its DSD file also on 2L. 2L High Resolution Music .:. free TEST BENCH

It sure would be interesting to hear comments on how the Brooklyn performs with a MQA file vs a DSD file of the same song.

I have listened to both from 2L and a lot of what I hear is subtle difference in spatial cues and imaging. The differences I have heard are mostly positive for MQA, but it is also dependent on the file. Some sound better in Quad DSD.

Hi everyone.. Now before I get shot, I am hoping for some open advice on my setup and lets be frank - i cannot hear any difference between:

2L downloads of Arnesen: MAGNIFICAT or Mozart Violin Concerto in D major KV218

DSD vs high sample rate PCM vs MQA vs 16 bit redbook CD

Or the same track (16bit 44.1kHz Redbook as Sonos will not play anything else. Unfortunately also not playing MQA files! Which is how I found Mytek, this forum and parted terms with a chunk of bank balance.). from my NAS streamed via sonos into the SPDIF or USB via A+ on a macbook

So this means I cannot hear a different between inputs on the Brooklyn (or cables) and nor a difference on the resolution and file size of the audio files..

To be honest I am pretty miffed... I was expecting to be wowed having just spent this money on the Brooklyn.

Caveats - Brooklyn is a few weeks old and has probably 50 hrs of playback on it.

So - I know what the responses will be - my system is not able to resolve the details as subtle as they are.. So - im guessing I am looking for advice on the setup and potential weak links..

Overall the sound is good.. very clean, black/dark backgrounds and quiet..

My system:

Power - custom made power distribution - no filtering. Belden power cable.

Sources - Sinology NAS on Gigabit ethernet

Renderers - Macbook 13 inch with Audivarna. Sonos Player XP90/ZP80 i recall

Cables - USB (nothing special from Amazon). SPDIF (from the sonos).. very short Belden 1694 coax. Canare connectors

Power - screened power for Sonos

DAC - Brooklyn (of course)

Power - Belden 83803 mains

Balanced XLR - custom made - Trying to recall what I made it with. Belden again I expect. Pro audio spec.

AMP - Cambridge Audio Azur 840A (suspect may be a weaker link, but got good reviews and has a lot of power)..

Speaker Cables - QED Xtube XT300

KEF LS50 speakers. On marble plinths on a large set of units. (not perfect but A/B tested against my speaker stands and works OK).

I have not had a chance to put some half decent headphones into the Brooklyn and listen way to isolate the application and speaker stages..

So .. Am I heretic for claiming what I want to hear isn't there or just not spent enough money :-) ??

Listener - 40's - own ears..

BR

Simon

Pics added.. sorry they are rotated.. not sure why!

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

Hi everyone.. Now before I get shot, I am hoping for some open advice on my setup and lets be frank - i cannot hear any difference between

So this means I cannot hear a different between inputs on the Brooklyn (or cables) and nor a difference on the resolution and file size of the audio files..

To be honest I am pretty miffed... I was expecting to be wowed having just spent this money on the Brooklyn.

My

I've ever had the same experience when I bought my NAD M51 years ago.

It didn't sound good as i heard at audio shop or as stereophile described and recommended.

But now it still sounds incredible. It makes me hesitate and afraid to replace it with a new DAC.

It will shine and its beauty will come after you upgrade all the rest of your gears to the same level of Brooklyn.

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg