IGNORED

QOBUZ confused about its history

Hello

I have searched this site and the web concerning QOBUZ and subscribing in the USA. Was it once available in the US? Was it once available on Sonos? Bankrupt? Is it now impossible to open an account in the US?

If not, is there another streaming service for classical music that offers CD quality music?

Thanks

Joe

Here is a review out of the UK that discusses all of the current streaming services:

http://www.sinfinimusic.com/uk/features/whats-on/what-to-buy/review-the-best-digital-streaming-services-for-classical-music-in-2015

In the USA, its Tidal or Classics Online HD, with Tidal having a huge classical library, though not as good as Qobuz. You can sign up for Qobuz if you are willing to go through proxie services.

Mellome looks promising, but so did Qobuz one year ago. Anyway, you can sign up for updates when, or if, they ever go online.

As has been pointed out in another thread, the promise of good classical streaming with proper tagging and hi res has mostly gone unfulfilled do to lack of interest on the part of paying customers.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

For Qobuz sign up in the US, my understanding is that you just need to put yourself in Europe via a vpn for the initial sign up.

You can pay monthly by paypal. Or pay annually for Qobuz Sublime and get 50% off a lot of their HiRez downloads.

After the initial sign up, you no longer need to go through a vpn or proxies to access the service.

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

• 4 weeks later...

I was talked through getting Qobuz by a fellow on Head HiFi(maybe with vpn or a proxie) I politely asked Qobuz for a subscription(several times in English and French) got it pay with PayPal and my address is 'my town', New France (which what new york state would have been if things had gone differently during the French and Indian Wars in early 1700's) thought that was quite ingenious and cheeky-love Qobuz and, Tidal for that matter especially ROON+ Tidal

• 3 weeks later...
My wife just read in the French news that Qobus will file for bankruptcy if they can't find a take-over deal before the 16th of November 2015. Guess I've been too optimistic. Sad, I like their services.

You may be interested in this thread on the subject:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/qobuz-receivership-26454/#post482316

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull