IGNORED

J River to HQPlayer

I'm not sure Foobar has the same kind of file type association flexibility but worth a look.  But Bogi had developed something a year or two ago, but the link in his signature is broken.

Hi Ted,

I can see the reason for your problem! This script assumes a "classic" directory structure of:

Artist/Album/Tracks

In your case the Artist would be seen as "Stereo Stuff" by the script, which would not be unique to this artist.

With the file structure you're using I can't see how my script could ever have worked correctly, unless you also have some albums under the "classic" structure.

In any case I wouldn't modify the arguments string. It may work without those particular arguments; but the script also assumes these arguments are present, even if they have empty values.

I will try to take account of your directory structure with a modification to the script.

Best,

Geoff

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

Geoff,

My structure is Artist - Album/tracks an has worked ok from the get go, and as per my last post, works fine with the older argument used in file associations.  BTW, "stereo stuff" is just the parent directory name of the temp hdd I'm using until my new 6TB hdd (broke the SATA data connection on the first one!!) is installed.  But nonetheless, the new hdd partition will be E:Music, and I have subdirectories (under which artist - album folders exist) called lossless, other hirez, Stereo DSF, etc.  It's still two levels nested, like yours.

41 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I'm not sure Foobar has the same kind of file type association flexibility but worth a look.  But Bogi had developed something a year or two ago, but the link in his signature is broken.

Yes, I do use Bogi's solutions - both of them, actually: the SendToHQPlayer one, and the ability to stream from Foobar to HQPlayer.

The second one is by far the most user-friendly, but my understanding is that because of intrinsic limitations of the streaming technology, there's an issue in reproducing files already in a DSD format...

So was wondering if you guys could merge the efforts and give us the ultimate user-friendly frontend for HQPlayer... :)

Thank you for the work done, in any case.

5 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Geoff,

My structure is Artist - Album/tracks an has worked ok from the get go, and as per my last post, works fine with the older argument used in file associations.  BTW, "stereo stuff" is just the parent directory name of the temp hdd I'm using until my new 6TB hdd (broke the SATA data connection on the first one!!) is installed.  But nonetheless, the new hdd partition will be E:Music, and I have subdirectories (under which artist - album folders exist) called lossless, other hirez, Stereo DSF, etc.  It's still two levels nested, like yours.

OK, thanks for clarifying that.

If you fall back to the version (1.0.0) I posted on Friday, does that work with the full argument string?

Just trying to figure out if the problem is limited to v 1.0.1 or both 1.0.0 and 1.0.1

Thanks

1.0.0 is no different.  The larger argument string seems to be the culprit, since when I change back to "Replace([Filename], &, ^&),[Disc #],[Track #]" either version seems to work ok.

4 minutes ago, ted_b said:

1.0.0 is no different.  The larger argument string seems to be the culprit, since when I change back to "Replace([Filename], &, ^&),[Disc #],[Track #]" either version seems to work ok.

OK, Thanks. Would you mind setting up those custom library fields as per the guide and then test with the full length argument string? You don't need to provide any values to the custom tags.

Geoff, Yes, I went through the process of setting up the custom fields, added the "No" value to Repeat ALL (just for kicks, and because my test library isn't huge) and yes, the longer arguments string now works fine (also making note to set Artist Play ALL to "make one per artist"). 

Question:  Your pdf guide includes other fields like HQPlayer Dither and HQPlayer Mode in the screen grab of JRemote metadata.  Is that a mistake (i.e early version of custom field name)?

Users: realize that this now allows, say, all jazz genre albums to use a different filter than, say, classical or pop.  Simply go to files, sort on jazz genre, and under "tag" input a new legit filter name in HQplayer Filter.

5 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Geoff, Yes, I went through the process of setting up the custom fields, added the "No" value to Repeat ALL (just for kicks, and because my test library isn't huge) and yes, the longer arguments string now works fine (also making note to set Artist Play ALL to "make one per artist"). 

Question:  Your pdf guide includes other fields like HQPlayer Dither and HQPlayer Mode in the screen grab of JRemote metadata.  Is that a mistake (i.e early version of custom field name)?

Users: realize that this now allows, say, all jazz genre albums to use a different filter than, say, classical or pop.  Simply go to files, sort on jazz genre, and under "tag" input a new legit filter name in HQplayer Filter.

Thanks for testing that.

Ok, here's a new version, that will work with the full argument string, regardless of whether the custom library fields are present in JRMC.

This version also adds the following features:

1/ When playlists contain non-HQP supported formats, temporary files are created for those.

2/ Similarly when some of the tracks for an artist are in non-HQP supported formats, temp files will also be created and loaded for those.

3/ The playlist will not be re-created when you want to navigate to a different track within it and the same applies when playing an artist.

Obviously I don't recommend loading playlists or artists where most of the files are in non-HQP supported formats. It will work; but for long playlists and artists it could take a long time to create all those temp files.

"Is that a mistake (i.e early version of custom field name)?" Yes you guessed correctly. Thanks for pointing it out. I will update the guide when I get some time.

Geoff

jrexp.ps1

First, thank you both Geoffrey and Ted for working and testing this tool. More than a beer, you deserve a bottle of a decent Armagnac!

Second, the most amusing and foolproof user guide I can remember.

Last, I tried and triple check with the last .ps1 (4/10) and does not work for me. I click play on any music file in the JRiver21 GUI set to play in HQP as per instruction, but the only thing I see, it's a flash from the "dos" cmd.

Coding to me = hieroglyphics without Rosetta stone and I don't even know how to create a log file, but I have herein attached the pics to confirm my settings. 

batch location.JPG

filetype.JPG

pshell line 5.JPG

pshell line 64.JPG

rikirk,

First off, any time I tried to use the script with the larger argument, like the one you are using, it wouldn't work (unless one went through the hassle of adding those user-defined fields).  Short of that, I had to revert to the shorter argument "Replace([Filename], &, ^&),[Disc #],[Track #]" .

Second, I haven't tested 1.02 but after your post I am testing 1.02 now but am first putting "No" in my Repeat ALL tags.  It's taking a while for 50k tracks.

Third,  it looks like your cmd file is looking for your script in a nested folder called jriver-hqp-album, yet your screenshot shows only jriver-hqp folder.

Version 1.02 works for me, but didn't without adding the nine user-defined fields.  Takes about 10 minutes total.        just follow the instructions in the pdf.  I also checked the box called "save in file tags (when possible)"

jrhqp fields.png

7 hours ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Thanks for the kind words.

The log file should have been created automatically in the same folder as the script.

It's called "log.text".

If you can locate it and send it to me, it should help me solve the problem.

Thanks,

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the swift reply. Again, I'm such a mess with computer stuff... the log.txt I have is the one I found originally last modified on 4/7/17 as per attachment. Off course I'm doing something wrong, but obviously I don't have a clue :)

log.text

My idiot-log brain says that you are trying to play a HQP-unsupported codec (M4A) and haven't set up the temp fields yet.

I would go to JRIver and first create TWO user fields (tools -> option -> Library and Folders -> Manage Library Fields), HQPlayer Temp and HQPlayer Temp Type.  Then in the files view of JRIver go to all your M4A files (sort based on panel at top of files view) and highlight them all, right click and choose "tag" then go to tag list on left side of JRIver and scroll down to HQPlayer Temp and type in "Yes" (without the quotes).  Let JRiver tag these files (may take awhile if you have thousands).  Then close JRiver and reopen, and try playback again.

Hi Ted,

Thanks a lot for the help. I tried to fo through the optional settings from Geoff's .pdf, but:

1: "Replace([Filename], &, ^&),[Disc #],[Track #]" - Where exactly should I change this string (sorry for my ignorance).

2: JRiver does not show any of the HQPlayer field in the Manage Library Field.

3: JRIver Manage Library Field does not allow me to save the Repeat All with the Tag "No" see attachment.

Really don't want to waste any of your precious time, but I am so eager to get this thing solved... Roon or MusiCHI don't work for me...

Repeat All.JPG

Short of that (I'm on Eastern time and it's getting late, since no response in 45 min):

1)  don;t worry about the shorter argument string.  You can't use it anyway, cuz it won't address your non-HQP files (like M4A stuff)

2)  The HQPlayer fields need to be created by you, as do the others, through the "manage library fields" screen (add new field).

3)  The fields need to be typed exactly as Geoff has them in the argument string, so Repeat ALL (not Repeat All).