IGNORED

J River to HQPlayer

You think JRemote will be fine, too? Are you building a Debian x64 system to run JRIver just cuz, or is there a performance or sq issue? I ask cuz UPnP and a renderer shouldn't care, right?

I just tried JRemote and did not have any issues with it.

My current system that has JRiver installed is a shared system for the whole family. Since, I need to move the setup off that system I figured I will install the Debian VM instance which will be dedicated and not be impacted with stuff on the shared system. The other reason is to make sure that system is optimized. It really should not matter for UPnP setup.

One thing that I am likely to miss is Tidal integration that I currently have with BubbleUPnP client and HPQ embedded. I have not researched if it is possible to use JRiver to stream Tidal. I am hoping the newer version of JRiver has integration with Tidal.

One thing that I am likely to miss is Tidal integration that I currently have with BubbleUPnP client and HPQ embedded. I have not researched if it is possible to use JRiver to stream Tidal. I am hoping the newer version of JRiver has integration with Tidal.

With the Embedded 4.x you can of course keep using BubbleUPnP and/or Roon in parallel for Tidal...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I have similar questions (can HQP as renderer have an NAA), which hopefully will be shored up soon (Windows 10 box shrunk partition and AudioLinux bought and an hour from dl completing). I am especially concerned with the setting of filters/modulators and the setting/choosing of NAAs (I have both microRendu for daily use and Windows NAA for exaSound multichannel, etc). I'm especially in the twilight zone here cuz I am a Linux idiot, and being that HQP embedded is not only headless it is somewhat body-less. :) I am very open to doing settings in desktop then sharing XML file somehow....dunno.

Shadowlight has been very helpful (as has Jussi) but these open issues still remain. Stay tuned.

I am hoping Miska will correct me but I believe the HQPlayer.xml file generated by desktop app can be leveraged by the embedded version. I know of two settings that do not carry over and requires manual edit. The one thing that you could potentially do is to create two files with the settings that you want to use one is for PCM and another for DSD conversion. When you are ready change the pointers in Linux to point to the correct one.

The two settings that I am aware off that are not carried over are (based on /usr/share/doc/hqplayerd/readme.txt.gz content) and my settings:

<output type="network"/> - forces embedded to leverage NAA

<mode value="sdm"/> - forces embedded to convert everything to DSD.

I will test some of my theories out and document the steps if I am successful.

Ouch. I use auto and expect embedded to do the same. All my PCM goes to 384k and all my DSD goes to 512. I have HQP Linux running now (on AudioLinux) and it seems identical to the Windows version (i.e uses auto, etc). And found my microRendu (NAA) immediately. Haven't tried embedded yet, but this is a deal breaker if I have to manually change.

I am hoping Miska will correct me but I believe the HQPlayer.xml file generated by desktop app can be leveraged by the embedded version. I know of two settings that do not carry over and requires manual edit.

There are bunch of other settings, mostly replicating the controls in HQPlayer main window and some other items like "title name" of the HQPlayer Embedded instance. These can be manually written to the same configuration file and are preserved by HQPlayer Desktop even when configuration is modified, although not shown or used by HQPlayer Desktop...

Ummh, why!?

HQPlayer Embedded doesn't currently support AutoSDM option, but I can add it in future, it shouldn't be hard to do. Never remember that because I never use it... Can be set through hqp-control though.

It would be great to add all the functionality that is available in desktop to embedded, since you are working on 4.0 :-)

Ummh, why!?

HQPlayer Embedded doesn't currently support AutoSDM option, but I can add it in future, it shouldn't be hard to do. Never remember that because I never use it... Can be set through hqp-control though.

Why?? Becuase you allow at in every other config and OS :) , and my DAC (Holo Spring Level X) has two paths, R2R PCM or DSD. I find there is a subtle but better PCM to 384k than to DSD512.

It would be great to add all the functionality that is available in desktop to embedded, since you are working on 4.0 :-)

I already added that, but you can anyway already control it runtime through hqp-control --mode parameter.

In next build the "mode" element in configuration file can have also value "auto" in addition to already existing "pcm" and "sdm" ones.

Some of the functionality in Desktop version are functionality of the GUI and not part of the engine (like all the library stuff), so those are not in the Embedded version. At least yet...

I already added that, but you can anyway already control it runtime through hqp-control --mode parameter.

In next build the "mode" element in configuration file can have also value "auto" in addition to already existing "pcm" and "sdm" ones.

Some of the functionality in Desktop version are functionality of the GUI and not part of the engine (like all the library stuff), so those are not in the Embedded version. At least yet...

That is great news.

Nice, that was quick. One question with your "runtime through hqp-control" comment. Does it mean that I can start out with mode = sdm or pcm in the xml file but before I start playing I can send the command hqp-control --mode auto command until the next restart?

Nice, that was quick. One question with your "runtime through hqp-control" comment. Does it mean that I can start out with mode = sdm or pcm in the xml file but before I start playing I can send the command hqp-control --mode auto command until the next restart?

Yes, that should work. I didn't test it, but it is kind of supposed to work... ;)

The settings from xml are just to establish some initial state at startup, filters and other settings can then be changed at runtime. But note that using auto-things make use of lot of values from the "defaults" element.

Yes, that should work. I didn't test it, but it is kind of supposed to work... ;)

The settings from xml are just to establish some initial state at startup, filters and other settings can then be changed at runtime. But note that using auto-things make use of lot of values from the "defaults" element.

Thx. I just upgraded to alpha10 and had issues communicating with NAA. Rolled back to alpha8 and everything started working again. Will test hqp-control mode command to confirm if it works.

Thx. I just upgraded to alpha10 and had issues communicating with NAA. Rolled back to alpha8 and everything started working again. Will test hqp-control mode command to confirm if it works.

Yes, shadowlight spent the evening troubleshooting my setup too (AudioLinux) and we find A10 not working in NAA setup. I sent Piero a message, too. I will need to roll back to A8 until you find a fix. But at least getting a baptism by fire understanding of how embedded is supposed to work. Pretty nice. Thx

Thx again to shadowlight. Above and beyond!! :)

Is the command to send via hqp-control

hqp-control.exe 10.19.67.42 --set-modes 0

or

hqp-control.exe 10.19.67.42 --set-modes -1

or

hqp-control.exe 10.19.67.42 --set-modes auto

and how do I confirm that it was set correctly. I tried all 3 options but the next track was still being converted over to 256 DSD which is what I started out with.