IGNORED

Airplay Receiver with low jitter Toslink Out?

I was hoping to send the Toslink out from the new AppleTV to my Ayre Codex (coming soon!). It seemed like such a perfect match… until I found out the new AppleTV does not have Toslink.

With the DAC in the Codex being just phenomenal, there is no sense in my shelling out for a DAC with airplay built in. Toslink out is fine, thanks. I guess I could continue using my old AppleTV for Airplay (but I'd like to take advantage of the games and such in the new AppleTV) and not upgrade or I could get an Airport Express (although the jitter is supposed to be bad with those). Any thoughts?

None of this is mission critical, it's just for listening to streaming audio like Apple Music, but still.

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP) 

You could try a Raspberry Pi with a optical out board.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

BTW, for folks who want to incorporate a new ATV into a digital audio system for non-critical applications, Monoprice has an HDMI hub in the $50 range with coax and toslink out. I've got one that I'm using purely for video, so I can't say anything about the sound, but quality-wise it's been working perfectly.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

BTW, for folks who want to incorporate a new ATV into a digital audio system for non-critical applications, Monoprice has an HDMI hub in the $50 range with coax and toslink out. I've got one that I'm using purely for video, so I can't say anything about the sound, but quality-wise it's been working perfectly.

4X1 HDMI Switcher w/ Toslink & Digital Coaxial Port

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.