IGNORED

ECdesigns

45 minutes ago, murphythecat87 said:

I dont agree

personally, I let my headphone connected at all time to my headphone amp. its not like I will unplug my headphone 10 times a day. headphone jack are extremely sturdy. never actually heard of one failing in high end gear. and if it eventually fail, chaging the jack is stupid easy for anyone.

now using a rca to headphone adapter goes against what ECD are praising (getting away from any interconnects...)

The fact the Powerdac headphone only offer one set of outputs and no headphone jack is a bad joke to me. Focal Arche is a perfect example on how a DAC-headphone amp all in one should look like

I did not say anything about jack reliability in my post. It is not "stupid easy for anyone" to change a jack by the way. You would have to dissassemble the dac and desolder it from the board. If you can do that easy, then you can just as well install a new jack somewhere and connect it with cables to the board.

And the powerdac R is NOT a combined DAC/headphone amp, John stated that clearly in the blog. 

1 minute ago, juanitox said:

this thread is a joke ,  month and month of teasing with technical B.S  to end up with a picture of a prototype of Waffle iron with recessed RCA     , guys you make my day ! 😁

Just because you are not able to understand it does not mean that it is technical BS.

• 1 month later...

Great news. Very interesting! 

And interesting news that ECD are designing a complementary tube amp too.  

So if I understand you correctly, you think the powerdac + rasperry is better than the UPL + fractal DAC in subjective listening tests? How much better would you say it is? Is it sort of a "must-do-upgrade-immediately" :) or just a little bit better in your opinion?  

Another thing that Lynn Olson argues in the text I linked is also very true in my experience: measurements at "the box level" usually does not correlate much at all with audio perception, so they tend to be rather meaningless. On the other hand, during development, measurements are very powerful tools to evaluate a design change, subcircuit etc, provided the designer has skills and experience to select the right measurements and correlate them with perception. 

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Cool. Though I would tend to think that even with a "perfect" source the DA96 will show some limitations. Let us know when your friend gets it and you can compare. 

The DIR9001 reciever chip in the DA96 might be a bottleneck for the clock performance, and probably also the noise from the XMOS in the U192. It will be interesting to find out how the ultralow jitter clocks will affect the sound. Otherwise the DA96 is pretty much reused in the new DAC as I have understood it (?) with the main differences being the DAPI, clocking and output stage. I will definately report here 😃 

Thanks for the pics. The DAC board seems to be quite different to the DA96. Nice that its only 2 boards with (I hope) the same size as the DA96 bords. If I feel I need to buy this I can probably re-use my case and have extra space available in it for a DHT output stage for example 😁   

1 hour ago, bodiebill said:

I do not quite understand "between 32 Ohms and up".

I think John means he did not test headphones below 32 ohms. Lower impedance requires more current from the DAC to drive and would at some point give a problem with distortion and/or freq. response. Higher impedance would not be a problem other than the SPL goes down.   

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Congrats on your work!

Too bad indeed that you did not have a stock U192. It would have been interesting then to compare the two with both DACs... 

What did you think of the powerDAC-R? Remind me: are you using active speakers with DSP? 

Tnx ! Yes indeed that would have been the relevant comparison. 

The speakers use ASP, so all filtering/bass-compensation etc. is in the analog domain using OPA1656 op-amps

I will write about my impressions of the powerdac -r :) 

6 minutes ago, hopkins said:

I'm assuming you read John's explanations which I quoted above. The design of the powerDAC seems pretty "air tight" with little opportunity for modding/improvement. Do you have any ideas? 

Yep, the mod is for looks and convenience, as I want/need a shunt attenuator in my system. The built in volume of the PD doesn't go well with my ASP/speakers (when changing volume its sends out a DC pulse that is amplified by the ASP and makes things somewhat scary (moves my bass cones several centimeters). I hope to reach a sound improvement too, but I consider that a bonus and not something I count on. In fact I already did the mods 😀, I will post about them here. 

1 minute ago, hopkins said:

I noticed exactly the same thing with my speakers one day I took the grills off (after posting my initial review). I asked John and there is nothing to worry about, but I understand it could make you nervous :) 

Yep but in my system the bass cones moves much longer than a normal speaker because of the ASP/dipole compensation in the bass..

9 hours ago, yogibear said:

Same here with my high dB FRs. Plan to add woofers which will be 103 dB, so will be very scary. But am not so sure / confident to mod PD.

I only think it is a real problem in very unusual DSP/ASP compensated setups like mine, but can be somewhat scary/annoying I agree

Although I do not think John would recommend DSP volume, I have not really noticed any SQ degradation using 64 bit volume control in JRiver/HQplayer etc, so in my opinion, PD set for full volume and using 64 bit software volume is a viable alternative too.

BTW I also like the combination of good tube amps and high sensitivity FR drivers, I can imagine those go well with the ECD dacs :)