IGNORED

Windows Remote Desktop -- how to shut down?

I have a CAPS v3 Carbon (headless) running Win 8.1. At the suggestion of folks here, I have recently tried Windows Remote Desktop to control it. It works well except for one thing: I cannot shut the Carbon down. When the desktop is visible (that's how I always use it), right-clicking on the window icon at the lower left brings up "Shut down or sign out" but that leads to options to Disconnect or to Sign out, no shut down available. This is a real pain; any suggestions?

Thanks, guys. I had thought of using a batch file but did not know the syntax. This is probably the best way.

It also occurred to me that you can hit ALT-CTRL-DEL; on the screen that appears next, the red icon at the lower right does include options to shut down as well as restart etc. This works fine if you are controlling a computer remotely from another computer (i.e., with a keyboard) but is not so convenient if you are working from a tablet, as I often do.

Exactly. I have two shortcuts on my server desktop:

Shutdown:

%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00

Restart:

%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -r -f -t 00

With the remote windows open hit <ctrl> + <alt> + <end> to bring up the screen that lets you logout, start Task Manager, or shutdown/restart.

Good stuff. Works like a charm!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Or you can hit Alt-F4 and choose to shutdown the remote computer that way. I never bothered to create a script. Although now I'm really tempted to. Because I'm so lazy I don't even want to hit Alt-F4.

Alt-F4 only shuts down the current window. (at least in my setup)

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

When you're on the Windows Desktop on the remote computer with no other windows open in Windows Remote Desktop, if you hit Alt-F4, you'll call up the shutdown/restart choice. It's no different than a regular local Windows machine.