IGNORED

Sonore Signature Rendu vs Bel Canto REFStream renderers

Has anyone compared the Bel Canto REFStream renderer with the Sonore Signature Rendu or the original Rendu?

I did a comparison of renderers in January 2014 auditioning the Krell Connect, the Naim ND5 XS and the Cyrus Stream X2. I thought the Krell sounded the best, slightly better than the Naim with the Cyrus some way behind. I bought a Sonore Rendu unheard, purely on the basis of reviews, as I was deterred by the huge box and price of the Krell. The sound quality from the Rendu is excellent but I did not have the opportunity to compare it directly with the Krell Connect. Memory of sound quality is notoriously difficult but I tend to think the Krell Connect may have had the edge over the Rendu.

I've just read the Audiostream review of the Bel Canto REFStream by Michael Lavorgna:

Bel Canto REFStream Asynchronous Ethernet Renderer | AudioStream

His very positive review might indicate that its sound quality is in the same class as that of the Sonore Signature Rendu which Chris has reviewed. I'd be very interested in hearing any views on the relative merits of these 2 renderers.

Chris,

Any chance of a comparative review of the Bel Canto REFStream?

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

• 3 months later...

The Bel Canto uses the AD Blackfin DSP chip to extract the I2S/DSD out of the Ethernet stream, just like the Sonore signature Rendu.

The Signature Rendu has an I2S output as the best option, and the Bel Canto has ST fibre. The ST may be great but not many compatible DAC's compared to I2S.

"while you can play back your DSD64 files, they will be converted by the REFStream to 24/176.4 PCM data before being sent to your DAC (religious warriors have at it)"

Maybe a misleading review? I'm guessing all this means is that the Bel Canto plays DSD via DoP, not that it actually converts DSD to PCM ( which would seem a dumb thing to do these days)

I know Michael understands DoP protocol very well, so he would have said it "supports DSD via DoP". He didn't. He specifically said "converts" (which is not a DoP function).

OTOH, a user reported (Patatorz on AudioStream comments) that it's DoP capable, then 10 days later came back and said no, it converts to PCM, yet then said DoP in the same damn response. Wow. Clear as mud.

"while you can play back your DSD64 files, they will be converted by the REFStream to 24/176.4 PCM data before being sent to your DAC (religious warriors have at it)"

Maybe a misleading review? I'm guessing all this means is that the Bel Canto plays DSD via DoP, not that it actually converts DSD to PCM ( which would seem a dumb thing to do these days)

This is correct. It accepts up to DSD 64, but converts to PCM 24/176 PCM. I would never buy it for that reason alone.

Big plus for the Sonore. The Sonore will even send DSD out of the SPDIF.

This is correct. It accepts up to DSD 64, but converts to PCM 24/176 PCM. I would never buy it for that reason alone.

Big plus for the Sonore. The Sonore will even send DSD out of the SPDIF.

Yes, and as I reported, the SSR's I2S (via Minimserver) can do raw DSD or DoP, either one (DoP requires Minimstreamer setup command dsf:dopwav).

No, it converts to PCM.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)