IGNORED

PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC

The people on this Web site tend to forget that DSD 256 isn't mainstream - even among audiophiles with good kit.

Clearly at your price point the features of the DAC are more than competitive. If someone insists on DSD 256 as a feature, it is certainly available with some competing devices - devices that it could be argued don't have some of the interesting (superior?) design choices you've made with this new DAC.

DSD 256 wasn't originally mainstream (in the beginning only exaSound and Merging offered it), but it's rapidly coming into its own. Both in hardware and software.

As you say, if it is a requirement other DACs with DSD have it. Best bet for DSD 256 fans is to check the DSD Database for a list of over 60 DACs with that feature today.

http://www.dsd.sonore.us

Thanks, Firedog and Bmoura for y'all's input--we will clarify the site info. Bmoura is correct about ASIO via DSD, and an Apple driver is in the works.

Good news. I think if you clarify that "USB2.0 Asynchronous Audio" on the USB input also includes DSD via ASIO for DSD 64 and DSD 128 in the specs section and the product intro/overview, that will clarify the feature set.

As for pricing, yes the NuWave DSD ($1,299) seems a bit more in line with PS Audio's high value + performance approach than the DirectStream ($5,999). But there is always room for more DACs with DSD between those two price points. Not to mention adding things like DSD 256 and Multichannel DSD in the future. Plenty of possibilities to keep Paul and the R&D team entertained.... :)

Good news. I think if you clarify that "USB2.0 Asynchronous Audio" on the USB input also includes DSD via ASIO for DSD 64 and DSD 128 in the specs section and the product intro/overview, that will clarify the feature set.

As for pricing, yes the NuWave DSD ($1,299) seems a bit more in line with PS Audio's high value + performance approach than the DirectStream ($5,999). But there is always room for more DACs with DSD between those two price points. Not to mention adding things like DSD 256 and Multichannel DSD in the future. Plenty of possibilities to keep Paul and the R&D team entertained.... :)

Does this mean DSD over I2S as well?

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Does this mean DSD over I2S as well?

specs were quoted a few posts above:

I2S

PCM 44.1KHz – 192KHz

DSD single rate (2.8KHz) and double rate (5.6MHz) raw or DoP

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The specs say DSD over I2S for DSD 64 and DSD 128 using DoP.

Thanks Bmoura -- this helps. I was wondering about the I2S input on the NuWave.

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

Thanks Bmoura -- this helps. I was wondering about the I2S input on the NuWave.

Well actually the specs say DSD 64 and 128 over DoP or Raw when using I2S - so both should work.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I typically like reading DAR's stuff, but the "$1,200 DAC requires a $1,000 interconnect" conclusion where "Sample Size = 2" is positively abhorrent.... especially when the less expensive of the two interconnects was already more than 20% of the NuWave DSD's list price.

...was that the performance of the DAC was good enough that more of its performance was revealed by better interconnects.

Would you prefer that it sounded the same whether it was Radio Shack or Nordost? I don't think THAT would be good.

40-year veteran of the audio biz/Director of Marketing, PS Audio

Editor, Copper.

...was that the performance of the DAC was good enough that more of its performance was revealed by better interconnects.

Would you prefer that it sounded the same whether it was Radio Shack or Nordost? I don't think THAT would be good.

Presuming that not all interconnects at a given price-point sound identical, and this is the question I suppose, would another comparably priced interconnect (and there are a lot of options in the $300'ish price range) have better suited the NW-DSD without the significantly greater spend?