IGNORED

PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC

Looks very interesting. Has balanced outs, which for me is desirable. And does both DoP and ASIO on the USB.

The price point makes it very competitive compared to the othe DACs I have been looking at (Benchmark HGC and Exasound e12).

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

Perhaps I am incorrect, but this unit does not convert all inputs into DSD like the DirectStream.

That would appear to me to be correct, rodrigaj. I believe that there is no oversampling done with this DAC, and everything is presented in its' native form; yet another reason why this item is so attractive, IMO...

Perhaps I am incorrect, but this unit does not convert all inputs into DSD like the DirectStream.

I pointed out your note to PS Audio and they have updated the NuWave DSD web site.

You are correct - DSD is only available on the USB and I2S inputs. Coax and Optical are limited to PCM 96k (Optical) and PCM 192k (Coax).

I'll update that info on the DSD Database as well.

NuWave DSD | PS Audio

http://www.dsd.sonore.us

Hi, All--

Thanks for the interest and enthusiasm!

I will plead "my bad" for not making it perfectly clear that the new NuWave DSD DAC does not convert all inputs to DSD as its big brother DirectStream does. Nor is it externally-updatable, as DirectStream is. DirectStream, as you know, is built around an FPGA which allows for a great deal of flexibility in processing and upgradability.

However, the FPGA does come at a cost; with its associated architecture, it's several times the cost of the entire NuWave DSD.

With NuWave DSD we've tried to approach the sound quality and flexibility of DirectStream while keeping the cost low. We think we've succeeded.

I hope y'all will be able to hear a unit soon!

40-year veteran of the audio biz/Director of Marketing, PS Audio

Editor, Copper.

Hi, All--

Thanks for the interest and enthusiasm!

I will plead "my bad" for not making it perfectly clear that the new NuWave DSD DAC does not convert all inputs to DSD as its big brother DirectStream does. Nor is it externally-updatable, as DirectStream is. DirectStream, as you know, is built around an FPGA which allows for a great deal of flexibility in processing and upgradability.

However, the FPGA does come at a cost; with its associated architecture, it's several times the cost of the entire NuWave DSD.

With NuWave DSD we've tried to approach the sound quality and flexibility of DirectStream while keeping the cost low. We think we've succeeded.

I hope y'all will be able to hear a unit soon!

Bill Leebens is director of marketing for PS Audio. Since Bill did not make that clear, I thought I would.

Thank you Bill for clarifying what the NuWave DSD DAC is and what it is not.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Bill Leebens is director of marketing for PS Audio. Since Bill did not make that clear, I thought I would.

Thank you Bill for clarifying what the NuWave DSD DAC is and what it is not.

I guess while I was at it, I should've clarified who * I * am. ;->

Initial shipments of NuWave DSD have begun; first shipments are going to major distributors overseas.

US-market shipments should begin within a week or so--we would hope that major retailers would have demos and stock by the end of July.

So--what did I forget this time? ;->

Editor, Copper.

I guess while I was at it, I should've clarified who * I * am. ;->

Initial shipments of NuWave DSD have begun; first shipments are going to major distributors overseas.

US-market shipments should begin within a week or so--we would hope that major retailers would have demos and stock by the end of July.

So--what did I forget this time? ;->

Only the contest for CA members to win a free NuWave DSD DAC:)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I've heard worse ideas. We'll give it some thought.

Let's hear some ideas on how a giveaway would/should work. This is new ground for me, and for PS;

what do you think is needed for this?

Not saying yes, not saying no: I'd like your input, please!

Thanks in advance!

Editor, Copper.

Two ideas:

One, pure chance - a raffle based on everyone who makes an entry of any kind on this thread by a certain date.

Two, a judged competition: submit in 25 words or less why you should be the winner of the DAC.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Two ideas:

One, pure chance - a raffle based on everyone who makes an entry of any kind on this thread by a certain date.

+1

( .. shameless post to ensure participation in this thread and possible raffle entry!)

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Looks like PS Audio has jumped into the affordable DSD converter market with their NuWave DSD unit. It features DSD 64 and DSD 128 playback (no DSD 256) with USB, Coax and I2S inputs. Both DoP and ASIO are available on the USB input. Price is $1,299.

NuWave DSD | PS Audio

Hello,

where do you read about "... ASIO are available on the USB Input" ? The specs at the PSAudio page list only DSD via DOP. I don#t read anything about Asio Drivers for OSX, Linux or Windows 10 and nothing about DSD256 through Driver or/and Firmware updates.

Wolft

from the specs page:

Coax Input

PCM 44.1KHz – 192KHz

Optical Input

PCM 44.1KHz – 96KHz

I2S

PCM 44.1KHz – 192KHz

DSD single rate (2.8KHz) and double rate (5.6MHz) raw or DoP

USB

USB2.0 Asynchronous Audio

PCM 44.1KHz – 192KHz

DSD single rate (2.8KHz) and double rate (5.6MHz) DoP

Generally, if it is doing DSD double rate over USB DoP, that means it isn't using an ASIO driver, AFAIK. The newish DSD DACs I see with ASIO drivers can do DSD without DoP. Don't see any mention on the pages of drivers. But that's just my 2 cents. To be sure you'd need to write them - or find the manual, which isn't up on the Web site yet.

Generally, if it is doing DSD double rate over USB DoP, that means it isn't using an ASIO driver, AFAIK. The newish DSD DACs I see with ASIO drivers can do DSD without DoP. Don't see any mention on the pages of drivers. But that's just my 2 cents. To be sure you'd need to write them - or find the manual, which isn't up on the Web site yet.

We do have Windows support for ASIO; I don't think that's applicable for Apple. There's no Linux driver; we don't support DSD256, and I don't think we'll be able to do that with the hardware used.

Editor, Copper.

That's not good and behind the specs of exasound E12:

DSD64: 2.8224 / 3.072 MHz.

DSD128: 5.6448 / 6.144 MHz.

DSD256: 11.2896 / 12.288 MHz.

384kHz/32bit maximum PCM sampling rate. Native support for DXD 352.8 kHz master files.

ES9018 Sabre32 reference DAC chip from ESS Technologies.

Proprietary Asynchronous USB ZeroJitter™ Interface with error correction.

OS X and Windows ASIO custom high-performance drivers.

Automatic sampling rate switching.

Supports software upsampling up to 384 kHz PCM and DSD256.

0.13 ps master clock. Jitter minimization with 3 three precision oscillators.

7 linear power conditioning stages.

Galvanic isolation between the USB subsystem and the DAC circuits eliminates ground loops noise and blocks computer-originated interferences.

Gold plated unbalanced (RCA) line Outputs

wolft

The design of any product requires choices; we think the choices we've made result in the best sound quality possible as well as providing superior long-term, stable performance and value. MSRP of the NuWave DSD is $1299, btw--not $2000.

Whether you realize it or not, your comment comes across as dismissive and hostile.

Editor, Copper.

We do have Windows support for ASIO; I don't think that's applicable for Apple. There's no Linux driver; we don't support DSD256, and I don't think we'll be able to do that with the hardware used.

The specs for the Nuwave DSD on the PSAudio Webpage lists DSD64 and DSD128 over DOP that means no Asio and no raw DSD Support.

And now in german:

In diesem thread wird am Anfang behauptet, dass der NuWave DSD Asio Driver mitbringt. In den Specs auf der PSaudio webpage ist allerdings lediglich von DSD over DOP die Rede. Diese Unklarheit kann auch der director of marketing for PS Audio nicht beseitigen. Ein neuer DSD DAC wird mit unklaren Spezifikationen angekündigt, dass ist das Problem. Wie soll da eine Kaufentscheidung getroffen werden? Ein Asio Treiber für OSX und Windows 10 sollte heute aber Standard sein.

Wolft

We do have Windows support for ASIO; I don't think that's applicable for Apple.

I'm assuming that the Windows ASIO support is over the USB input at DSD 64 and DSD 128. For Apple, PS Audio may need to write a custom ASIO driver as exaSound has done with their DACs.

You may want to update the PS Audio web pages on the NuWave DSD to clarify that Windows ASIO playback is a feature of the unit over USB.

The design of any product requires choices; we think the choices we've made result in the best sound quality possible as well as providing superior long-term, stable performance and value. MSRP of the NuWave DSD is $1299, btw--not $2000.

Bill- I agree and sounds to me like you've made sensible choices.

The people on this Web site tend to forget that DSD 256 isn't mainstream - even among audiophiles with good kit.

Clearly at your price point the features of the DAC are more than competitive. If someone insists on DSD 256 as a feature, it is certainly available with some competing devices - devices that it could be argued don't have some of the interesting (superior?) design choices you've made with this new DAC.

In any case it all comes down to the listening, not the paper specs.

I do think the Web page and your comments about the drivers/ASIO support are a little unclear or even conflicting. Maybe something worth clearing up on the Web page.

Bill- I agree and sounds to me like you've made sensible choices.

The people on this Web site tend to forget that DSD 256 isn't mainstream - even among audiophiles with good kit.

Clearly at your price point the features of the DAC are more than competitive. If someone insists on DSD 256 as a feature, it is certainly available with some competing devices - devices that it could be argued don't have some of the interesting (superior?) design choices you've made with this new DAC.

In any case it all comes down to the listening, not the paper specs.

I do think the Web page and your comments about the drivers/ASIO support are a little unclear or even conflicting. Maybe something worth clearing up on the Web page.

Thanks, Firedog and Bmoura for y'all's input--we will clarify the site info. Bmoura is correct about ASIO via DSD, and an Apple driver is in the works.

As we all--okay, as MOST of us know, features and specs provide an outline or sketch of the character of a unit. Many companies use similar DAC chips; the trick is in the optimization and implementation. Our higher-end products have more of a blue-sky approach when it comes to deciding, "how should we do this?"--and less-expensive products like the NuWave DSD require clever usage of what may initially appear to be standard stuff.

I assure you...performance is not standard. We've got a 40-year history of providing products that perform well above their price, and that hasn't changed.

Editor, Copper.