IGNORED

AC Filtering, Grounding Boxes, Linear PSU and Balanced Power.

The shield does not need to be connected and are not used for DAC handshake. GND wire is used for handshake. Just think about it for a moment. Many USB cable have the shield connected at one end only and some USB cables are unshielded as well...but still works. If not the mocroiDSD is very strangely constructed (which I doubt) the handshake will work without the shield. That GND is used for handshake is confirmed by JS on the Sbooster VBus thread as well.

Lifting GND and keeping the shield connected to ground is a really bad idea. If your shield is connected to ground at both ends you cannot lift the GND since you are still connected to GND via the shield connection and you will end up without GND lift and decreased SQ.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Cornan,

With ground and power coming from the LPS 1, the microIDSD sees the power as the power led changes color when connected as appropriate. Nevertheless, the device does not show up in the windows device manager without the lps1 ground connected to the shield.

So Cornan, as this is the behavior observed here, I guess by using your logic the IFI microIDSD is strangely constructed.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Holy cow! I just covered all my outer USB barrels with electrical tape and it all works and sounds f***** amazing! The clarity was improved a lot by this simple tweak. My neck hair agrees with me! A must try! :)

Hi Cornan, thanks for this, I forgot to tape the barrels in my latest cable iteration. Done now, and another nice SQ boost!

So, basically, in the iDSD Nano, since the internal battery always powers the DAC and the Clock - great job, iFi! - the only thing which was actually powered by the Computer USB port was the USB Receiver.

Hi Yashn, last week Eurodriver and Jud were here and with 3 lps1s on hand we tested any number of configurations with the IFI microIDSD DACs.

After testing power injection via the Aqvox cable, we settled on the internal battery as the best way to power the IFI. It could not be beat.

We also tested any number of USB solutions, and in the end definitely found my hacked $6 Chinese split cable to be the best sounding that I own here. Jud has a custom Mapleshade USB cable that sounded even better, which unfortunately left with Jud.

I just added a thin layer of scotch tape to the barrel of the data end of my split cable for a very nice SQ bump.

Thanks to you and Cornan for the inspiration.

Larry

You are welcome Larry! :)

I am a bit envious of Jud's Mapleshades cables. I find their AC cables extremely interesting...which I know Jud ownes as well. Many things that I personally believe in are incorporated into their design.

Hi Cornan,

Jud is definitely on to something with the Mapleshade / Omega Mikro cables. My Omega Mikro interconnects arrive tomorrow!

I have spent some hours on the phone with the two principals this week. Stay tuned, we are just at the beginning of this story.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 on the cpu cooler, 2 on the GPU card (not noctua), 2 in the front panel and one on the back. I would have thought it would sound like a vacuum cleaner, but instead sounds like a Rolex watch. Amazing.

Funny, I have the one Noctua cpu cooler and fan for everything. It's in a HTPC case, is pretty open, so the convection is good. I am powering the CPU, motherboard and ram drawing probably 120 watts at peak with a 1600 watt titanium ATX PSU so the PSU fan never turns on.

Happily the electrical noise from the fan does not seem to pollute the sound quality.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
10 minutes ago, marce said:

There is a wealth of Ethernet information out there already! A network analyser is a good start, and EMC lab for noise measurements... Ethernet started of as a single cable with a GNC connector, when I fist started doing Ethernet boards, it has developed quite a bit since then and the amount of information available is wide spread and very comprehensive.

And as a digital information highway it works... It doesn't even care what data it is transmitting, it just transmits it.

Another tiresome vanity post. Marce please build something we can buy or tell us something that we can do ourselves to improve SQ. Otherwise your posts are wasting space. Having to read about your vast experience and brilliant thinking over and over is really annoying.