IGNORED

AC Filtering, Grounding Boxes, Linear PSU and Balanced Power.

Finally I got one of my DIY 100Base-TX cables working. The Deltaco tool-free RJ45 plugs (which I'll have to use at router end and Aries Mini end due to limited plug space) are a pain to assemble with my 22awg silver wires. Still haven't got the other one close to my router working yet. I gave up after 3 hours fiddling.

[ATTACH]32408[/ATTACH]

Since I use router grounding I connected my Audioquest forest at the router end, ie. no galvanic isolation between router and FMC.

Impressions? Well, Agnes Obel's track "Fuel to Fire" just jumped out of the closet! :) Sounds way more natural now. More like she is singing in a chapell actually. I like it a lot! :)

When I have regain some of my lost nerves I will finalize the second DIY cable as well. I'll just have to! This sounds way too good to be neglected.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Well done Cornan. I've been fiddling with a short diy Ethernet cable for a while on and off (with screw RJ45 plug). I've been trying to get a wavio USB to I2S board to work with an I2S input into my DAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Well done Cornan. I've been fiddling with a short diy Ethernet cable for a while on and off (with screw RJ45 plug). I've been trying to get a wavio USB to I2S board to work with an I2S input into my DAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks tapatrick! ?

A pity that I do not have enough space for the screw terminal RJ45 at both ends. Then I would have been ready with both cables for sure. I can recommend to try pin 1\2 & 3\6. Sounds marvelous with the unshielded (teflon sleeving) wires on a distance. I recon it will sq improve further when I get the second one working.

Nice project! ? I have never tried WaveIO board but I have great respect for I2S which I previously used with my Stello U3 USB converter. All gone now though.

🎛️  Audio System  

This morning I experimented with the power supply for the uphill FMC only. On the contrast to many others reports in this matter I hear a very clear difference between the original SMPS & my TP-Link Vivid 6700mAh battery pack. Listening to the uphill FMC powered by the TP-Link Vivid connected to AC mains sounds good but sounds a bit "dull". Removing the charger it is another ball game completely. Now everything comes back "alive" like everything is pumped up with pure oxygene.

So, in my experiments better power for the uphill FMC is VERY important for SQ. I temporarily use a Audioquest forest Cat7 Ethernet cable between my router and FMC so I changed to a Cat5E cable if that was a reason for it. A tiny bit of a difference. Soundwise a close call with Cat5E a bit GP"grey" compared to Cat7 (Remember my router grounding). Still battery unconnected to AC mains is much better in both cases.

When I got that second 100Base-TX cable together I will try this again. So for me uhill FMC power makes a difference...especially when 100% isolated from AC mains.

🎛️  Audio System  

This morning I experimented with the power supply for the uphill FMC only. On the contrast to many others reports in this matter I hear a very clear difference between the original SMPS & my TP-Link Vivid 6700mAh battery pack. Listening to the uphill FMC powered by the TP-Link Vivid connected to AC mains sounds good but sounds a bit "dull". Removing the charger it is another ball game completely. Now everything comes back "alive" like everything is pumped up with pure oxygene.

So, in my experiments better power for the uphill FMC is VERY important for SQ. I temporarily use a Audioquest forest Cat7 Ethernet cable between my router and FMC so I changed to a Cat5E cable if that was a reason for it. A tiny bit of a difference. Soundwise a close call with Cat5E a bit GP"grey" compared to Cat7 (Remember my router grounding). Still battery unconnected to AC mains is much better in both cases.

When I got that second 100Base-TX cable together I will try this again. So for me uhill FMC power makes a difference...especially when 100% isolated from AC mains.

Very interesting! Another reminder to leave no stone unturned, and to test every assumption.

Great finding.

Since you have two. Can you try the HRL in each end of the same cable as well (ie. Uphill & downhill the same Ethernet cable). I know you've got a complicated network. Try to add them at different location as well. My guess is that one must be at the service providers first input and the other one were it matters most (could be close to router or at the closest Y-split for example).

Well... so my ISP's cable enters the side of my house at a locked junction box. I couldn't get into it. [emoji36]

After that, the cable only reappears at my wiring closet, right before the cable modem.

So I tried adding the second HRL before the Y-splitter I mentioned.

Results?

1. I confirmed the first HRL right at the modem makes a positive, but very small SQ improvement.

2. The second HRL has zero impact.

For what it's worth.

Well... so my ISP's cable enters the side of my house at a locked junction box. I couldn't get into it. [emoji36]

After that, the cable only reappears at my wiring closet, right before the cable modem.

So I tried adding the second HRL before the Y-splitter I mentioned.

Results?

1. I confirmed the first HRL right at the modem makes a positive, but very small SQ improvement.

2. The second HRL has zero impact.

For what it's worth.

Damn service provider! ?

It is difficult to get a firm grip regarding the F-plug DC/ground blockers. Since I live in an appartment were everyone (many appartments) uses one and the same service provider I'll guess that my SAT connection is pretty noisy (ie. Noisier than yours)...and could be a reason why I hear a better sq improvement!?

It also seems that FMCs reduces the need for DC/ground blockers since I also only need one (removed Supra F-CON) but found the best spot to be at my service providers wall inlet.

Also, pre FMCs the Supra F-CON was important. Otherwise the sound with Axing DC blocker was extremely detailed but the loss end bass dissapeared completely. When I experimentet with the FMCs the Supra F-CON just was'nt nessessary any more. It actually sounded better without it. Only Axing made the sound a bit more detailed and the low end bass was back...even a tiny bit lower and more detailed bass frequency.

Looking at the bandwidth of the DC/ground blockers makes me wonder about the Jensen version. It has a frequency of 2-1000 MHz and the audio bandwidth is -1000 MHz (HDTV= -3000 MHz) which is very close (but not suitable for SAT TV). After checking with Axing the bandwidth is 5-2400 MHz. Am I loosing those 5 MHz with the Axing and just 2 MHz with a Jensen? Would it be worth $70 for the Jensen. Hmmm?

I would prefer to find something in the 2-3000 MHz though. So, if not the Jensen , the best one I have found so far is this one http:// http://www.ebay.com/itm/180727427336 which looks very well built...but damn expensive freight to Sweden. This one have the same specs as your HLR but looks like it uses thicker center pin which is a good thing in my world...but if it will make a noticable improvement is written in the stars! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

FINALLY! My second 100Base-TX is finalized and installed between my router and uphill FMC. Listening to Daft Punk's "Doin' it Right" and are amazed by the holographic sound I am getting. Everything seems to have better placement than before. Deeper echos. Clearly hearing a ticking "cow bell"? in the background which I have only partially heard before. Changing to "Game of Love" confirms the hollographic sound. The voice is more right in front and singing "just for me". The drums and bass guitar hits hard on my ear drums. I cannot stop myself from toe tapping. Jepp! I really like this! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

It's getting crowdy at my router end.

1484633088787.jpg

I think it is time to get a new SAT cable from the wall outlet to my router. I saw that Audioquest forest SAT cable looked promising both price wise and construction wise http://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-hd6forest-satellite-cable-custom-length-p-9075.html#.WH23jKjMBSB

I would prefer a unshielded cable, but that seems to be mission impossible.

Next step before I make it tidy around my router will also be to order a lab PSU for my 12v/2,5A router. Thought about a 0-30v linear regulated Peaktech until I found this one from Volfcraft yesterday https://m.conrad.se/Laboratorieaggregat,-fast-sp%e4nning-VOLTCRAFT-FPS-1134-11-14-V%2fDC-1-x.htm?websale8=conrad-swe.01-aa-m&pi=1196063&ci=SHOP_AREA_17452_2110330

I have asked Conrad support if these screw terminals accepts 4mm banana plugs since I already have this special made cable on the way:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272519397091

I believe that my router could bring a little bit extra with a galvanicly isolated lab PSU and this one from Volfcraft have less voltage range (11-14v) without knobs (which I like). Just hoping that those screw terminals accepts banana plugs.

🎛️  Audio System  

I believe that my router could bring a little bit extra with a galvanicly isolated lab PSU and this one from Volfcraft have less voltage range (11-14v) without knobs (which I like).

Sorry Cornan, but there is nothing "galvanically isolated" about those cheap bench power supplies. Put a continuity checker between the mains ground and the DC output ground and you will get a "beep."

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Sorry Cornan, but there is nothing "galvanically isolated" about those cheap bench power supplies. Put a continuity checker between the mains ground and the DC output ground and you will get a "beep."

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

So do you mean that Germain Voltcraft is not telling the truth here? http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/1100000-1199999/001196063-an-01-ml-VOLTCRAFT_FPS_1134_FESTSPG___de_en_fr_nl.pdf

The output provides a stabilised direct current voltage (DC) that is electrically isolated from the mains.

Micael

🎛️  Audio System  

I got a crystal clear answer from Conrad regarding the Volfcraft FPS-1134:

Dear Micael,

yes, the lab psu also is galvanicly isolated.

Additional we will give you the following product recommendation, because it is not included for article 1196063:

Ordering number: 616656

Link to this product: -NE3-KG/GG2-Svart-2-m.htm?websale8=conrad-swe&pi=616656&ci=SHOP_AREA_37357_0809061"]IEC Anslutningskabel Goobay [ Jordad kontakt - Apparat hona C13] NE3-KG/GG2 Svart 2 m

(misprint, mistakes and changes in technical data are possible.)

For current informations about prices and the delivery time, please contact us:

www.conrad.se/kontakt

With kind regards

Sascha Wenzel

Technical Support

Conrad Elektronik Norden AB

http://www.conrad.se

I will order it right away (and use my Audioquest NRG-2 cable for it plus a AHP tuning fuse)! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

I just found something interesting regarding possible SAT cables. There is a cable type called Conformable cables which apperently are a low loss coax cable Low Loss Conformable Coax Cable Assemblies. Hmmm, I wonder if this is not the type of SAT cable I want (if it works that is)? Looks like I have some more research to do! :)

Semi-rigid cable is a coaxial form using a solid copper outer sheath. This type of coax offers superior screening compared to cables with a braided outer conductor, especially at higher frequencies. The major disadvantage is that the cable, as its name implies, is not very flexible, and is not intended to be flexed after initial forming. (See "hard line")

Conformable cable is a flexible reformable alternative to semi-rigid coaxial cable used where flexibility is required. Conformable cable can be stripped and formed by hand without the need for specialized tools, similar to standard coaxial cable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable

🎛️  Audio System  

After reading about the Conformable rigid-type coax cables I have changed my mind. I want to go for a more interesting experiment by using a twisted pair (1 meter lenght) configuration to a BNC plug with screw terminals 2 Pcs Screw Terminal Connector to BNC Male Adapter Connector Video Balun CCTV | eBay to a BNC>female F-plug BNC female jack to CCTV TV F type male plug RF coaxial adapter connector | eBay. That will give me a unshielded SAT cable that I really want! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

I got a crystal clear answer from Conrad regarding the Volfcraft FPS-1134:

I will order it right away (and use my Audioquest NRG-2 cable for it plus a AHP tuning fuse)! :)

Well, when you get the supply, go ahead and put a "beep" continuity meter (a setting on every multimeter of course) from the unit's black DC output post to any mains ground or chassis in your system. Our own JS-2 is the only power supply I have ever seen (aside from battery or battery-like units such as our UltraCap LPS-1) where the DC output ground "floats." Admittedly I have not tested a great many "lab bench" supplies. So I will be quite interested in what you find. But I will be surprised if it is a floating supply as it is lot of trouble to build them that way. :)

Well, when you get the supply, go ahead and put a "beep" continuity meter (a setting on every multimeter of course) from the unit's black DC output post to any mains ground or chassis in your system. Our own JS-2 is the only power supply I have ever seen (aside from battery or battery-like units such as our UltraCap LPS-1) where the DC output ground "floats." Admittedly I have not tested a great many "lab bench" supplies. So I will be quite interested in what you find. But I will be surprised if it is a floating supply as it is lot of trouble to build them that way. :)

Alex! I do not by any means think that the tech style Volfcraft would compare to the JS-2 or LPS-1 in terms of galvanic isolation or SQ. I am just after a good value LPS with galvanic isolation for my router which is already pretty isolated. Got the 11-14v/4-6A Volfcraft for approx. $70 including freight with a review discount which is a pretty awesome deal. However, I will be more than happy to check the quality of the galvanic isolation upon arrival.

It have already been shipped BTW! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

Alex! I do not by any means think that the tech style Volfcraft would compare to the JS-2 or LPS-1 in terms of galvanic isolation or SQ. I am just after a good value LPS with galvanic isolation for my router which is already pretty isolated. Got the 11-14v/4-6A Volfcraft for approx. $70 including freight with a review discount which is a pretty awesome deal. However, I will be more than happy to check the quality of the galvanic isolation upon arrival.

Hi Cornan:

My apologies. I did not mean to imply you were making such comparison. And really I think some of the Voltcrafts (having looked at interior photos of them) are built to much higher standards that many of the similarly-priced Chinese supplies in aluminum cases that pop up around here and often don't meet their own output current specs.

A quality, safe, and affordable LPS has become a rare thing in this era of SMPS. One used to be able to buy tabletop linear "bricks" from many sources.

I was just surprised to see the claim of galvanic isolation as it would mean they would have to electrically insulate the output regulator and/or power transistor from the heatsink and also be sure that no other parts or wiring of the board contact the case or AC safety ground. It can be done, and certainly I would think a true "lab" supply would be the sort to make "float" in this way.

I am crossing my fingers for you as I feel sad when manufacturers (especially of more expensive units) got to the trouble of making a very low noise supply--only to leave the nasty mains ground and its grunge with a straight path to the clean DC output.

Best,

--Alex C.

Hi Cornan:

My apologies. I did not mean to imply you were making such comparison. And really I think some of the Voltcrafts (having looked at interior photos of them) are built to much higher standards that many of the similarly-priced Chinese supplies in aluminum cases that pop up around here and often don't meet their own output current specs.

A quality, safe, and affordable LPS has become a rare thing in this era of SMPS. One used to be able to buy tabletop linear "bricks" from many sources.

I was just surprised to see the claim of galvanic isolation as it would mean they would have to electrically insulate the output regulator and/or power transistor from the heatsink and also be sure that no other parts or wiring of the board contact the case or AC safety ground. It can be done, and certainly I would think a true "lab" supply would be the sort to make "float" in this way.

I am crossing my fingers for you as I feel sad when manufacturers (especially of more expensive units) got to the trouble of making a very low noise supply--only to leave the nasty mains ground and its grunge with a straight path to the clean DC output.

Best,

--Alex C.

Thanks Alex! :)

I have owned a bunch of Volfcraft devices during the years and have always been very satisfied with their products. Exellent value, well constructed & good quality. I do not expect to be dissapointed considering for what I am using it for and the fact that it will compete against a cheap SMPS which is powering my router right now.

Despite this it will be interesting to see how well the galvanic isolation is constructed. My guess it should be fairly good since it is constructed as a safety device for labs, schools etc. which is very strictly regulated stuff here in EU. I might also add a ATL DC blocker pre the Volfcraft...but are not so sure that my GF will be that happy about it. She is already fed up with all my fiber-optical madness with 10 meter fuchsia coloured wires running through our appartment, FMC here and there plus battery packs all over the place! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

When you lose 10 minutes searching but not finding anything about 'Volfcraft' because of Cornan's repeated typos instead of improving the performance of your Linear Regulated PSU...

:D

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

...but are not so sure that my GF will be that happy about it. She is already fed up with all my fiber-optical madness with 10 meter fuchsia coloured wires running through our appartment, FMC here and there plus battery packs all over the place!

Audiophiles can have girlfriends? I thought we had to get permanently married to find a partner wiling to put up with our bizarre habits! ;)

*Haha* sorry YashN! VOLTCRAFT, VOLTCRAFT, VOLTCRAFT! 

Now I know, thanks to Alex, but Google kept showing me results for 'Wolfcraft'. <facepalm>

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Audiophiles can have girlfriends? I thought we had to get permanently married to find a partner wiling to put up with our bizarre habits! ;)

Yes they can, even if not married.

But I thought they liked fuchsia :P

I guess I didn't realize that I just got the get-married-right-away-sign from audio heaven? ? The question is if I am willing to steal from my audio piggy-bank for a golden ring? Hmmm? ?

🎛️  Audio System