IGNORED

Music for testing Audio Equipment

An old favourite ... Status Quo: 12 Gold Bars.

This can tell one so much about the competence of a rig in a short period of time, it would give me a nay in seconds, or indicate that there was potential within - used to be my main test disk, years ago, when wandering through the stores.

• 3 weeks later...

This whole soundtrack album is a fabulous "stress test" for overall competence - huge dynamic swings, tremendously high impact tracks; dense, dense, complex and intensely rich mixes. Most systems would fail dismally, would collapse at the knees trying to project the energy of this music - amazing to listen to if the rig is up to it ...

• 6 months later...

There's this bizarre idea that only "perfect" recordings are suitable for evaluating systems ... "Enjoy your test drive in the new, super-refined WMB vehicle, sir - I recommend you drive on the new motorway; it's billard table flat, with no curves at all - that will tell you everything you need to know about how this car drives ..."

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

someone on another site posted that cymbal crashes could be very diagnostic

(he was talking about good analog vs. digital tho)

This is a goody,

Most high end rigs will run screaming, as far away from this as possible - but it's a good test ... :D.

• 5 months later...

Peter asked @jabbr and I to stop discussing OT matter on his Ambient, Psybient ... thread - for which I also apologise :(. But this was added,

I listen to a variety of music types both for enjoyment and testing. I tend to use sounds that I’ve heard acoustically eg vocals, and unamplified instruments which have a real reference, but also electronic. 

I wonder whether a listening impression on something electronic is “better” in a subjective sense when not perfectly accurate eg when even harmonics are added or tubes, the sound can be very pleasing.

I heard a demo of a very ambitious setup which started with an extremely percussive piece - this was highly spectacular, seemed to indicate that the rig had the goods ... but then on a vocals plus big band recording fell short, very short. IOW, when one doesn't have a good internal 'reference' as to what the sounds really are like it's much harder to gauge if "anything is wrong".

Which leads to saying that something that is pure electronica may sound "better" to some people when the system is adding significant, 'right' distortion. But I've always found that the cleanest reproduction, that gives the best results for conventional acoustical instruments and voices, also is necessary for optimum electronica: what is gained is (a) big sound; the volume can go to any level with no discomfort, it's always "easy to listen to"; (b) pristine treble; much of the interest in synth sounds is the tremendous complexity of the harmonics, and all this is lost when the SQ is below par - "it's boring!"; and (c) richness of acoustic; the intricacy of the myriad sound spaces that these compositions have is a delight to the ears, it's an exercise of exploring, aurally, the complexity, and because we don't 'know' how the spaces should fit together - as we would, say, for an orchestral work - there is an extra layer of discovery when listening.

I was just reminded of THE most telling track on DSOTM for assessing competence,

Most rigs botch the climatic points in this track, and it was this I used often when 'debugging' my rig in the early days - could it present these moments with complete clarity, or not.

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

Big fan of ELO myself! Haven't really found any good digital remasters, both redbook and hi-res. Any good pointers? I remember their original vinyl releases being quite nice, but unlike other bands that have gotten the loving remastering treatment, ELO doesn't seem to have.

Maybe I'm wrong? 

The version I have is just a budget CD release of a normal mastering - stocking filler packaging. The SQ is nothing special at all, and will sound very ordinary unless the rig is in tip top shape.

I normally always go for original releases, because they have the most musical depth to them - for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

More amazing that so many people are down on microphones - clever little bastards, they react to all the sound impinging on their diaphragms, just like our ears, and a half decent recording chain captures that information ... :P.

All recordings have the information, no matter how it was captured; but usually it's buried deeper in the mix. This means that the playback chain has to be on its best behaviour, to make all those acoustic clues clear - and most times, that's not the case ...

• 4 weeks later...

Why it works on a conventional quality rig is that the recording is so simple in what makes it up that human hearing can still hear past the usual problems of the playback chain, and discover the delights within, :). All the microphone has to do is capture the sound field at one point, a trivial exercise, and the music making all makes sense - and sounds good.

A car with shockingly badly designed suspension will still feel smooth on a road that has been engineered, and laid down with a laser precison of flatness and accuracy - it's how the bumps are handled, the car's responsibility, that really are what matter ....

Not many people want to create 'baby food' recordings - it's up to the rig to do its side of the process correctly.

From a completely different angle, Brazilian latin lounge music ... I have CD of compilation of efforts from the early 60's to 80's, a freebie by a coffee producing mob from the area; so obscure I couldn't even find it on a Google search - this is meant to be layback music, but the recording technique is very, very 'aggressive', on every track ... if your rig has sibilance issues, then this disk will be a nightmare; the  microphones are jammed up hard against everything, and huge artificial reverb is added. Every tiny, tiny irritating aspect in playback is magnified greatly - this is a tough one  ...

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of ABBA, I have the original album, as shown at the start here, and this song should be able to blow your roof off, with complete fidelity - a powerful drug, :),

A slower paced number which tells a lot,

Both tracks should be intensely satisying listening experiences ...

In the spirit of Big Music, this soundtrack album, that I've mentioned many times, is a system buster if ever there was one - superbly recorded, this delivers a massive subjective  hit if the rig can keep it together at good volumes ...

• 5 months later...

I was just reminded of this track, which is a current fav for assessing the NAD, Sharp combo,

The system juust manages to hang in there, depending upon the status of tune at the time - slightly below par, and the track becomes impossible, sounds a mess ... this sort of recording makes it easy to get a snap, Yes/No verdict, when such is needed.

• 1 month later...

In a similar vein, and as an example of a "system bustin' " track - I'm sure I've posted this before, but can't see where - this Skyhook's effort - from a proper CD quality version, of course!! - ticks all the boxes,

The finale should lift off the roof - in a good way ... in terms of a musical 'climax' they don't get much better ... 😜.

• 2 months later...