IGNORED

ULN-8 shootouts: Next!

"I think this is the point Clay often makes about legacy or dinosaur DACs. It's not straightforward to demo and evaluate them because there is ALWAYS another component involved."

Careful, Eloise.

Apparently, if you repeat these "inconvenient" facts (i.e. that the Berkeley and other 'legacy' DACs cannot connect directly to most modern computers without the additional expense of a sound card), you're considered inflammatory. :)

At least, that's the way it appears to me, after my post above was referred to as such.

clay

No clay I called your response "somewhat inflammatory" because sounded somewhat like a personal attack at me, not my

equipment of choice. In my opinion many of your posts have this tone.

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

That you took it personally is unfortunate for both of us.

Sharing opinions about gear - as I did - and asking questions about the opinions shared here by others - as I also did - is NOT a personal attack. It's the purpose of the forum.

Saying that you consider someone else's posts inflammatory (as you've done twice in this thread) is more likely to be considered a personal attack.

Every post on the internet can be like a rorschach diagram as we try to decipher intent. In other words, your response says as much or more about you as it does about me.

I avoided posting a response to your earlier "inflammatory" post, preferring to let it lie due to my belief that you probably posted in haste.

But now that you've said it twice, I will say that I do not take your accusations lightly, feeling that they are unwarranted, esp. so given your claim above that it was NOT at all related to the 'inconvenient facts' about your gear (which frankly, given your earlier responses, I have a difficult time believing, but can only take you at your word).

For my part, I can say that I did not intend anything personal.

clay

Hi Jonathan,

"You're leading me to the financial slaughter... My top limit is $5,000 for a DAC, and you had to show me this..."

Sorry. ;-{

I thought some folks would be happy to hear about this.

Especially in view of what is now a $300 difference between the '8 and that other unit (that is DAC only) that has gotten universal raves and looks quite good... until the '8 shows up.

Someone asked me about a good dealer and I just happened to check their web site before recommending them. I purchased my first 2882 +dsp from those guys (among other things) and was pleased all around.

Look at it this way: Have you heard the '8? Perhaps you won't agree with my conclusions (which are after all, only my conclusions).

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Dan,

what a gear slut you are. :) every week or so, it's a link to a brand new toy...

Gordon might want to watch his back with this one - given the tubes output AND the xtra outputs. This is an interesting piece. ;)

But, I prefer to keep my 'tubes' separated from my DAC, in fact, I'm probably gonna 'lose' my 6SN7-based preamp altogether. Now that I've got the J2 AND the ULN-2, I'm not sure i need any sweetener.

clay

"Did you look at the under da hood pictures? ;-)"

Not yet, too busy listening to "Come On In This House" - Junior Wells CD, with the new setup. itunes / G5 -> Firewire -> ULN-2 -> J2; volume controlled by MIO software (athough mostly just 3db down from full-on).

See my post - The Magic Words for more details, if you're interested.

have a good one,

clay

PS, and thanks for the suggestion to use hot-rod mode. I'm starting to believe this is why everyone loves the Alpha so much.

I think that testing the BADA with an adapter (the best possible one) IS fair because it lacks a direct connection and the use of the Lynx AES16 is the interface recommended by the manufacturer to be used for computer connection.

Now the point is that the computer should be the same, running the same OS (mac, since the Metric Halo does not support windows), with the same player software and the most similar settings (latency etc).

This and NOT putting the MH unit in disadvantage using an interface in the middle, because is not the way it is designed. AND, most important, any well done firewire will have lower jitter than AES spdif.

The more I think about the tests and what I heard (and the more I hear from others who have conducted similar comparisons), the more I think the only "disadvantage" the BADA suffered was being put up against the ULN-8. ;-}

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

• 2 weeks later...

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks to Barry and the others for sharing their experience. I own the Berkeley Alpha DAC anc continue to enjoy its excellent sound quality (SQ). But....I'm after the best possible SQ available and if the MH ULN-8 is better than I'll buy it.

The one thing that strikes me as odd is given how long the SS Model 4 (the OEM version of the ULN-8) has been in the marketplace, why Chris has not yet done a review of it versus the Berkeley, etc. There was much anticipation of such a review going back months. Chris, care to comment? Thanks.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B