IGNORED

Snow Leopard experience

cfmsp

jtwrace,

Go to Applications Folder, and select the Amarra application.

Then press 'command-I', or select Get Info from the Finder-File menu.

If you're replacing the app, and want to be absolutely sure that you're running the new one, delete the app's alias on the Dock (by dragging away from Dock and releasing - it will go 'poof'), and then dragging the newly downloaded app to the dock.

Of course, you can also just double-click the new app in the Applications folder.

clay

Ted,

I believe you're referring to HAL (aka the CoreAudio Hardware Abstraction Layer), not HUD.

http://www.stereophile.com/news/11396/

I believe it was Sanjay who first posted the wrong acronym - in a separate thread.

HAL sits below CoreAudio playback functions in the software 'stack', but due to it's utilization by CoreAudio (and therefore QUicktime and iTunes - which all sit higher in the 'stack'), it's the source of much confusion here by those trying to figure out if/how Amarra is 'bypassing' CoreAudio.

Amarra is bypassing the CoreAudio playback functions, but does use HAL (per my understanding). Amarra's use of HAL is very benign, with regards to CoreAudio negatively impacting Amarra.

So benign, in fact, that I don't really see how Amarra could benefit from Snow Leopard improvements, whereas iTunes might benefit (even substantially) from CoreAudio functions lower in the stack than iTunes that were re-written (if any) within Snow Leopard, and could further benefit when iTunes is re-written, as well.

As I understand it, Amarra is already a 64 bit app, which would seem to lessen its potential for improvement (as compared to iTunes/CoreAudio) even if re-written for the new SL kernel, i;e;, it already had available to it extreme precision of 64 bit floating point, and which Jon was touting as one of the likely reasons for Amarra sounding better than iTunes early on.

Perhaps my understanding is wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, as most of you know.. If so, please direct your attention to the Picasso I selected for my 'avatar'. :)

clay

Since Sonic utilizes/provides the iLok Extension (as a condition of running Amarra), it's Sonic's responsibility (e.g., to test it and to provide a working version with their software), irrespective of whether an iLok bug was 'out of his control'.

My words, not his, I was paraphrasing (probably wrongly) what he told me.

I agree, I would love to have not had a problem with the install. But, I'm going to cut them some slack. Maybe it's just me...I don't know, I think that his prompt response to my e-mail about the problem, figuring out a fix quickly, and posting it for download shortly thereafter, on a weekend, is not too shabby.

FWIW--I'll repeat this again. I do not sell, or profit, from the sales of Amarra. The only reason I recommend it and talk about it with others is that using Amarra us the first time computer based playback has approached the sound of a very well set up analog system, IMO. I don't think "I wonder how this sounds on vinyl" now, so something is right.

Peace,

Lee

Locus Design Group[br]www.locus-design.com[br]www.cryo-parts.com[br]www.cryo-freeze.com

thanks Lee for the clarification.

"My words, not his, I was paraphrasing (probably wrongly) what he told me."

And thanks for clearing up another question in the back of my mind - I was wondering if you were the same Lee as is now associated with Amarra.

Clay

I was wondering if you were the same Lee as is now associated with Amarra.

No not me. I didn't even know they had a Lee over there. I've only dealt with Jon at SS and John at VRS. Too many people posting about Amarra with similar names, ha!

Peace,

Lee

Locus Design Group[br]www.locus-design.com[br]www.cryo-parts.com[br]www.cryo-freeze.com

Yep, the new installer - dated 2:30 today - seems to work, so long as the PACE Interlok extension is in place.

Unfortunately, Jon's installer will still fail if someone tried to update the interlok extension, as the PACE installer still fails to complete.

Apparently, the PACE installer is much of the problem, which then caused problems that Jon's installer couldn't deal with - most noticeably, that the PACE installer did not complete, causing Jon's installer to hang 'waiting for another installation to complete'.

The cure, for anyone still having issues after trying to update the Interlok extension (as requested), is to restart the machine, which will clean up the partly installed Interlok extensions, and then re-install Amarra with the newly posted 3162.

The other part of the problem, which I can't explain, why did Amarra request some of us - but not all - to go to PACE and install a new version?

NOTE: The PACE version currently available is from July 24th, and supports OS X 10.6. It's called 5.7.2 (which one can see by doing 'get info' on the install package).

Late night EDIT: It also appears that Jon may have reverted back to a previous version of Interlok extension - from Dec 2008 - in his latest install. If so, perhaps the most significant issue was the PACE code.

Enough sleuthing for one night,

clay

Some of us take our jobs as 'beta testers' seriously. ;)

When it's not 'sorted' on time, this is taken as a clue that companies need help and 'inspiration' to get 'their end sorted' sooner rather than later. Without people reporting problems and findings, it takes longer to get it resolved.

Apparently you are wrong when you speak for "everyone". Almost anyone who does claim to speak for everyone usually is. :)

As for me, I only got my iLok on Thursday, and don't have much opportunity during the week to listen critically, so losing a weekend is like losing a week.

No offense intended.

clay

At the cost of sounding judgmental and sounding hypocritical as in the past I have had instances where I have been judged similarly, I want to raise the following point.

Sonic studio does the SW only for the mac platform. The advance copy of the snow leopard has been available to those who cough up $600 since a long time, The amarra costs at least $1000 to the licensees. I would expect the SS to have been prepared for the snow leopard much earlier. And by being prepared I do not just mean the seamless installation of amarra on the snow leopard but also the feedback on the continuation of benefits of amarra on the snow leopard.

Sanjay

Macbook pro 15\" 2.53ghz core 2 duo with Amarra, 1 TB storage, 6 GB memory -> USB locus-design nucleus cable -> EA overdrive DAC -> -> modded parasound JC1 monoblocks -> cadence ARCA loudspeakers + REL studio III

Another problem with Amarra that is driving me crazy is the pause between tracks where there should be no pause. Before SS charges $1500 for the program, this problem should be fixed.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

Clay,

I think it's my Vista Book Camp partition that is causing the SNOW problem. I will Winclone it and then remove it and see if it installs.

Yes the iLok draws very little current and so you can use even a passive hub on the Air with the Proton.

At RMAF I will have a powered hub with the Air and the Proton for people to hear with some nice phones.

Thanks

Gordon

Clay

I certainly was not purporting to speak for everyone or indeed anyone. Merely proffering the opinion that a short term software glitch isn't the end of the world.

I agree entirely the reporting of issues is constructive. Less so the finger pointing.

Regards

Andrew

Best Wishes

Andrew

I don't use the ULN_2 or the DAW (aka MIO) for volume control, so I've never investigated. Amarra includes a very, good dithered volume control, as you know but prior to that, I just used the volume on my preamp.

MIO's mixer / control would certainly use digital level controls, which I've set to 0db, but I only fire up the software once in a blue moon. The ULN-2 saves it's boot state, so once you're set up, it's as easy as non-pro gear.

Incidentally, the ULN-2 2d has a chip inside which allows processing within the hardware (just like the Sonic/Amarra hardware that is made by MH).

Just noticed your post on the MIOForum. You might post this question over there as well.

Best of luck,

clay

Thanks Clay

yes it has largely been you and Barry's enthusiastic support for MH that made me want to track one down. I imagine it will be very good. I generally like Pro converters. They tend to be transparent. This also allows me to do some recording for a friend who is a violinist.

Cheers

A

Best Wishes

Andrew

Got snow leopard today - installed it on the core duo (32bit) mini with apogee duet and it sounded quite a bit clearer. The os is faster and the reduced hdd size Impressive. Will strip down at weekend as there is still at lot of unnecessary stuff in there.