IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

Yuhengdu, why not just get the Supra cable, which has been found to be excellent with the Regen, and tape over the power lead pins? Would be cheaper.

It has been found to use a cable from the computer to the Regen and an adapter from the Regen to the DAC give best results for the majority of users. You can also tape over the power lead pins of the adapter if you don't need the 5V for handshake or power.

Hi ElviaCaprice and Yuhengdu, unfortunately tape is not the most effective solution. Placing tape between the two pins will block the 5VDC, but at the same time you will also create a small capacitor (two electrical conductors separated by a dielectric). Due to this small capacitor high frequency noise still radiates into the data. Also placing tape is not user friendly. An easier and not expensive solution is the Sbooster Vbus Isolator.

Regards,

Karin

Sbooster

SBooster Vbus Isolator 230815.jpg

Sbooster, enjoy more music.........

Meet us at the Montréal Audio Fest 23-28 March 2018

Hi ElviaCaprice and Yuhengdu, unfortunately tape is not the most effective solution. Placing tape between the two pins will block the 5VDC, but at the same time you will also create a small capacitor (two electrical conductors separated by a dielectric). Due to this small capacitor high frequency noise still radiates into the data. Also placing tape is not user friendly. An easier and not expensive solution is the Sbooster Vbus Isolator.

Regards,

Karin

Sbooster

That's cool. I didn't know anyone was offering an accessory like this.

Thanks!

I have an AQVOX 5v USB linear power supply dongle, which isolates the power ft on the computer but passes power thru. Would it be better to use that. At the moment it's attached to my headphone dac, an AUNE mk ii.

It would be great if you get a chance to try it and let us know what you think as it nice to get a variety of opinions.

Others I think I read have had good results with the AQVOX in the chain.

The REGEN was designed to be placed as close to the DAC as possible, that is why it is in a small light weight case.

John S.

Thank you John, I am ordering Regen right now. It will arrive in Octorber.

Regards,

Karin

Sbooster

Thank you. That's the first time I know a product like this as well. I know that Aqvox make some power isolation and pass through usb power supplies.

Regards,

Karin

Sbooster

Not if you use electrical tape. Can't get more simple or cheaper than that. I don't know what additional SQ issues that booster could introduce? Not too thrilled about adding additional items into my work flow.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

So I inserted my AQVOX USB power dongle on the output end, listening to Brothers in Arms Dire Straights I. The dynamic limitations of my Magneplanar 1.17s have vanished. The improvement in dynamics is astounding. Decays last longer, the imaging and clarity is just brilliant and my neighbour's hate me. It's 7 o'clock here in Aus and I can't help myself I knew I was addicted to listening to music now I have Knoffler and Sting in my room ( money for nothing).

Can anyone comment on the effect of the REGEN on "Hash" noise or flowing-water noise as I call it with and without the REGEN?

Someone commented in another thread in regards to my Raspberry Pi music server woes saying that a REGEN could possibly help with the "hash" noise I am experiencing which is not related to hard drives or power supplies. Both variables were eliminated already as the exact same noise was present with running the music from internal flash and using a LPSU to power the Pi.

I know everyone is expecting to hear major improvements when you insert your REGEN but perhaps there are other more subtle improvements such as when you put your ears really close up to those tweeters. IDK.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

Can anyone comment on the effect of the REGEN on "Hash" noise or flowing-water noise as I call it with and without the REGEN?

Someone commented in another thread in regards to my Raspberry Pi music server woes saying that a REGEN could possibly help with the "hash" noise I am experiencing which is not related to hard drives or power supplies. Both variables were eliminated already as the exact same noise was present with running the music from internal flash and using a LPSU to power the Pi.

I know everyone is expecting to hear major improvements when you insert your REGEN but perhaps there are other more subtle improvements such as when you put your ears really close up to those tweeters. IDK.

In each case, are you still using USB from the server to the DAC ?

IIRC, you previously suggested that the server may have been noisy ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Not if you use electrical tape. Can't get more simple or cheaper than that. I don't know what additional SQ issues that booster could introduce? Not too thrilled about adding additional items into my work flow.

Theoretically, Karin is correct, but the amount of extra capacitance would only be a few picoFarads at the most, and the impact should be negligible.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

In each case, are you still using USB from the server to the DAC ?

IIRC, you previously suggested that the server may have been noisy ?

Yes, USB both cases. I am including the USB interface as part of the "server" as that is my only choice from the Pi.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

Hi photonman,

Going only on the information you've provided in the quoted post, I suspect you might be hearing "hiss" from an amplifier that has too high a gain for efficiency of your headphones or speakers. Are you able to A) lower the gain of your amplifier or B) select speakers or headphones that are less efficient?

Mike

Hi photonman,

Going only on the information you've provided in the quoted post, I suspect you might be hearing "hiss" from an amplifier that has too high a gain for efficiency of your headphones or speakers. Are you able to A) lower the gain of your amplifier or B) select speakers or headphones that are less efficient?

Mike

Maybe it's the 8kHz carrier ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Hi photonman,

Mike

Hi,

Gain is not adjustable. It is 26.

Speaker efficiency is 91 db

Problem is not evident with the Macbook Pro.

It is something with the Raspberry Pi I think, I guess you get what you pay for :)

It is just a project now, to get the sound working well from a $50 computer.

It is all in fun and not expecting anything other than some fun experimenting.

So, if I have got it right, you have computer into Supra cable into Regen (fed by SMPS) into AQVOX (fed by its wall-wart) into DAC? And, this way, the DAC is not getting power from the Regen but from the AQVOX?

So I inserted my AQVOX USB power dongle on the output end, listening to Brothers in Arms Dire Straights I. The dynamic limitations of my Magneplanar 1.17s have vanished. The improvement in dynamics is astounding. Decays last longer, the imaging and clarity is just brilliant and my neighbour's hate me. It's 7 o'clock here in Aus and I can't help myself I knew I was addicted to listening to music now I have Knoffler and Sting in my room ( money for nothing).

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

Thanks.

Yes that's the way I have it. It just improved the clarity and definition. Also I now have real depth of images. I'll see if it's real or just euphoric delusion today but imo it was profound.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

Just that it looked like a wall-wart in the photo. I have nothing against AQVOX, and actually have their shortest (12 CM) USB cables on order to try on twin Regens. I was simply surprised since the Regen is meant to clean up the AC noise and packet stuff. I run the Regen(s) off the JS-2, but I suppose could try a rather nice LPSU I have (on the desktop system) into my BADA USB Alpha. Hadn't even thought of it, so I asked.

It's not a wall wart, it's a linear supply. Go to AQVOX site and check it out.