IGNORED

Does High Resolution Audio sound better

Both.

It's interesting for me to think about my goals in listening to live music versus listening to recordings at home. Something like watching sports live versus watching them at home, I believe part of what I'm looking for at home, along with emotional involvement, is the ability to take a closer look (as well as, of course, the ability to repeat the experience). So perhaps that, together with being accustomed to close-miked recordings, has something to do with my preferences.

Hi Jud,

Understood.

It is a rare experience nowadays, unfortunately, to be able to hear music without the addition of a "soundman" and a P.A.

Last year, I saw Amy Helm open for Los Lobos (a great show all around). In what took me by complete and most pleasant surprise, during her set, at one point Amy and her two accompanists walked around to the audience side of the microphones with their instruments. They proceeded to do "Long Black Veil" with no sound reinforcement.

What a great experience! One had to "lean in" a bit to hear all the details (particularly from the back of the auditorium) but the audience got really quiet and all was heard beautifully. I was kind of sad when they went back around the mics for the next song and instead of "leaning in" the experience returned to a somewhat defensive posture one needs in the face of being assaulted by a P.A. system and how it weaponizes music. Make no mistake, it was still a great show. But...

As soon as I got home, I sent a message to Amy to thank her for doing that one tune without the P.A. and I told her what a great experience it was to hear all the nuances of her voice and the instruments, without the influence of the sandman and P.A. I hope other artists take this risk. (I've gotten used to it with the artists I record and there is something about it --even with electric instruments-- that, in my opinion, takes the music up several notches.)

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.wordpress.com

Barry Diament Audio

P.S. It occurs to me the experience of going from P.A. to real, then back to P.A. is not unlike going from CD to high res, then back to CD. ;-}

... If theory predicts there should be no significant audible difference between 24/96 and 24/192, I say we need a better theory.

I've long said I believe there is more to be learned about digital. ...

Thanks, Barry.

*I* say if there is a significant audio difference, it should be quantifiable and measurable. Granted, traditional metrics may not be measuring what makes the audible difference. Regardless, we need to be able to identify the differences so that we can (a) identify and correct the causes and (b) be able to generate known quantities of those differences so that we can identify the detection thresholds as has been done, for example, for jitter. We can then work towards keeping the differences well below the audibility threshold.

I agree that everything in the chain makes a difference, and every item needs to perform well above what is considered "transparent". For example, Benchmark manufacture broadcast audio distribution amplifiers. They have bandwidths of hundreds of KHz. Although this might seem far greater than required, they know that there will be multiple amplifiers in the chain between the source and transmitter. By the time you add up all the rolloffs, you are getting close to the audible band.

This is all a long-winded way of saying, you (personally) go to a lot of trouble to ensure that every link in your chain between the artist and the final product performs well above(below?) any threshold of audibility. Your use of 24/192 is consistent with that philosophy, regardless of whether it makes an audible difference or not. :)

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

Hi Ricardo,

The answer depends of course on whom you ask. Some will say there is no loss. To my ears, I'd say that by -12 things are starting and by -24 they're well on the way. At lower levels, instruments just sound (to me) like much cheaper, less maintained versions of themselves, and the space is ill-defined.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

www.soundkeeperrecordings.wordpress.com

Barry Diament Audio

Am I am on the right track thinking that at - 12 db the voltage/signal level is being roughly represented by 16 - 4 bits = 12 bits and at -24 db the voltage/signal level is being represented by roughly 8 bits?

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Thanks, Barry.

*I* say if there is a significant audio difference, it should be quantifiable and measurable. Granted, traditional metrics may not be measuring what makes the audible difference. Regardless, we need to be able to identify the differences so that we can (a) identify and correct the causes and (b) be able to generate known quantities of those differences so that we can identify the detection thresholds as has been done, for example, for jitter. We can then work towards keeping the differences well below the audibility threshold.

I agree that everything in the chain makes a difference, and every item needs to perform well above what is considered "transparent". For example, Benchmark manufacture broadcast audio distribution amplifiers. They have bandwidths of hundreds of KHz. Although this might seem far greater than required, they know that there will be multiple amplifiers in the chain between the source and transmitter. By the time you add up all the rolloffs, you are getting close to the audible band.

This is all a long-winded way of saying, you (personally) go to a lot of trouble to ensure that every link in your chain between the artist and the final product performs well above(below?) any threshold of audibility. Your use of 24/192 is consistent with that philosophy, regardless of whether it makes an audible difference or not. :)

Hi Don,

Agreed.

Happily, on that last item, the artists, their band members, myself, my colleagues who've heard them, and our customers all seem to feel it makes some very important audible differences.

Hopefully, one day we'll have the metrics that show this as unequivocally in terms of numbers and graphs.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Nicely said, Don.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Am I am on the right track thinking that at - 12 db the voltage/signal level is being roughly represented by 16 - 4 bits = 12 bits and at -24 db the voltage/signal level is being represented by roughly 8 bits?

Hi EuroDriver,

At -12 is is more like 14-bits and at -24 it is 12-bits.

(You get about 6.02 dB per bit.)

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Hi EuroDriver,

At -12 is is more like 14-bits and at -24 it is 12-bits.

(You get about 6.02 dB per bit.)

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

www.soundkeeperrecordings.wordpress.com

Barry Diament Audio

Many thanks for this correlation. In the quiet passages what sort of levels is a solo instrument, say a flute playing at ?

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Many thanks for this correlation. In the quiet passages what sort of levels is a solo instrument, say a flute playing at ?

Hi EuroDriver,

This will vary of course, depending on the recording, the piece of music and perhaps a good number of other variables.

Even without going to the quiet parts, if the recording is made with the idea of preserving the dynamics of the original performance, and the peaks reach the top bit (i.e., they are at -6 dBFS or louder -- lets say the maximum peak reaches -0.3 dB, the loudest I'll ever let a peak get on a master, again, depending on the music), the music between the peaks (i.e., the average level) might be 14 dB lower for pop music and 20 dB or more for classical music. That puts the pop average at just under -14 dBFS and the classical at just under -20 dBFS.

With a 16-bit system, that puts the pop average at 14-bits and the classical average at 13-bits.

With a 24-bit system, the pop average would be at 22-bits and the classical average at 21-bits (both better than CDs best, even if was pedaling downhill with the wind behind it ;-}).

Now, that's just the average levels of sounds. Instrumental harmonics and spatial cues in the room might be down another 10 dB, 20 dB or more from there, perhaps lower with really wide-ranging program material left intact.

This is why I say thinking of CD as having a dynamic range (as opposed to a signal-to-noise ratio) of 96 dB is more than misleading. If distortion doesn't count, I would say maybe it *is* 96 dB... if distortion doesn't count. But I think distortion *does* count, in which case the real dynamic range before things get raggedy is (in my opinion) an order of magnitude less.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Now, that's just the average levels of sounds. Instrumental harmonics and spatial cues in the room might be down another 10 dB, 20 dB or more from there, perhaps lower with really wide-ranging program material left intact.

Barry

Have you done any recordings at 24/384, and if so what were your impressions of the audible improvements over 24/192 ?

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Barry

Have you done any recordings at 24/384, and if so what were your impressions of the audible improvements over 24/192 ?

Hi EuroDriver,

The designer of my converters has created them to run at 192 as the maximum. I've often commented that when using them at 192 at recording sessions, this is the first recording device in my experience where I have not yet been able to discern the output from the direct mic feed. If the recording already sounds (to me) like my mic feed, I can't think of how it can get better. (My only complaint is that I can no longer blame the gear for any flaws in my recordings. Of those, I must take full ownership now. ;-} )

In view of how few converters I've found that can--to my ears--actually realize the potential of the 4x rates (176.4k and 192k), I am more than a little skeptical of claims for even higher rates. Sometimes I wonder sometimes if the claims of higher numbers are simply marketing in the absence of being able to claim how well they do lower rates. I note that such claims are not coming from any of the designers of the converters I've found to be the most transparent performers. They're all working at 4x rates.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

When I extracted my classical music from CD to HDD I analysed at least one track of every record with Audioleak and Spek and the average dynamic range was around 35dB while on a few it went almost as far as 60dB.

35dB is about 10-bit in resolution, but 35dB below maximum level is already very low in intensity, as can be experienced here:

Online Audible Dynamic Range Sound Test

At -48dB (8-bit) the sound is so low in level that I wonder how anyone can determine if the signal is high or low res...

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

But if the maximum level of a recording is down by -6dB then the very soft passages of hat same pice with 35dB DR will not only have 9-bit of resolution.

Ravel's Bolero, here by Dutoit and the Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal on Decca, might be a good candidate for testing Redbook's low resolution at low levels...there could be more modern recordings with better sound quality and/or wider dynamic range but this is the only one I have of the piece.

v7a3k2.png

This one looks like a better candidate:

Ravel: Boléro - LSO0693 - Hyperion Records - MP3 and Lossless downloads

But if the maximum level of a recording is down by -6dB then the very soft passages of hat same pice with 35dB DR will not only have 9-bit of resolution.

Hi Ricardo,

If the max level is at -6 and the dynamic range is 35 dB, you're talking -41, which would be 10-bits, not 9-bit.

With a 24-bit format, that would be 18-bits. Again, better than Redbook at its very best.

This is what keeps cellos sounding like cellos instead of like kazoos. ;-}

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

…It is one of the things I've found to jump out at me when comparing high res. vs. Redbook when both are from the same mastering…

Me too, when going from from 16/44.1 to high resolution PCM the whole soundstage opens up, both wider and deeper in addition the sound of the recording venue is considerably more pronounced.

…If theory predicts there should be no significant audible difference between 24/96 and 24/192, I say we need a better theory.

I've long said I believe there is more to be learned about digital.

I agree completely.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

If the max level is at -6 and the dynamic range is 35 dB, you're talking -41, which would be 10-bits, not 9-bit.

With a 24-bit format, that would be 18-bits. Again, better than Redbook at its very best.

Hi Barry,

I might be wrong here but if I'm taking 41dB : 6 = 6,8333 which is closer to seven...16-bits - 7 = 9-bits.

On a 24-bit file that would be 17-bits.

But that was my point exactly; there's more resolution on High-Res.

So the next question is: since the lowest level is down by 35dB, will I be able to hear that loss in resolution at normal listening levels?

I might just blow £5 and try this myself with Gergiev's Bolero recording, unless you have any "Kazzo-sounding" sugestions.

I won't just take your word for it.

Best,

Ricardo

Hi Barry,

I might be wrong here but if I'm taking 41dB : 6 = 6,8333 which is closer to seven...16-bits - 7 = 9-bits.

On a 24-bit file that would be 17-bits.

But that was my point exactly; there's more resolution on High-Res.

So the next question is: since the lowest level is down by 35dB, will I be able to hear that loss in resolution at normal listening levels?

I might just blow £5 and try this myself with Gergiev's Bolero recording, unless you have any "Kazzo-sounding" sugestions.

I won't just take your word for it.

Best,

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

It isn't a matter of what is closer; it is a matter of how many bits are being used.

As to whether you'll hear it, that depends on your hearing acuity, your system and its setup, and perhaps most importantly, whether or not you are sensitive to what this does.

Keep in mind that this is not listening to something in isolation. The lower level components are present for sounds at all levels (if the recording is worth its salt). They are in the harmonics of voices and instruments and in the space surrounding the players.

All you need to have in order to find out if any of it is meaningful to you is multiple resolutions of the same recording, from the same mastering session.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

As to whether you'll hear it, that depends on your hearing acuity, your system and its setup, and perhaps most importantly, whether or not you are sensitive to what this does.

Hi Barry,

Somehow, I knew you would say that. :)

Hopefully I won't be able to hear it and will live hapilly ever after with my CDs...

Keep in mind that this is not listening to something in isolation. The lower level components are present for sounds at all levels (if the recording is worth its salt). They are in the harmonics of voices and instruments and in the space surrounding the players.

I see; in fact it might be more obvious with a single source sounding playing at a much higher level than the others.

All you need to have in order to find out if any of it is meaningful to you is multiple resolutions of the same recording, from the same mastering session.

That is mandatory, I know, but hard to acomplish.

I have only downladed your samples of "Wind of Change", which doesn't have large dynamic swings...how about the other samples?

Best,

Ricardo

...how about the other samples?...

Of course I can't say what you or anyone else will or will not hear. (And I'd be wary of anyone who claimed they could.)

You might try the others on the same page. Or perhaps from another source - if you can be sure the different files are from the same mastering.

The sample does not have to have big dynamic swings. It can be anything, at any level.

Perhaps it might be easier to hear with certain types of instruments with complex harmonic structures (cellos, reeds, etc.).

Being familiar with the true sounds of the instruments can help but I don't believe this would preclude hearing differences.

Best regards,

Barry

http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.om

Barry Diament Audio

You could buy the CD on Amazon but the asking price is a bit of a rip-off for a used disc:

Amazon.com: Francois Couperin, Gerard Lesne, Ensemble Il Seminario Musicale, Gerard Lesne (counter-tenor): Office des Tenebres: Music

There's another one on eBay:

Gerard Lesne Couperin Tenebres Three Tenebrae Lessons for Holy Wednesday CD HR | eBay

Best,

Ricardo

The Harmonic Classics website says

Contact us by e-mail to purchase a CD, a Master Tape clone on CD-R (exceptional sound quality and original booklet) or a full libretto

with a link to their "info" email address. Presumably the Master Tape clone on CD-R would be the best way to buy the album.

Of course I can't say what you or anyone else will or will not hear. (And I'd be wary of anyone who claimed they could.)

You might try the others on the same page. Or perhaps from another source - if you can be sure the different files are from the same mastering.

The sample does not have to have big dynamic swings. It can be anything, at any level.

Perhaps it might be easier to hear with certain types of instruments with complex harmonic structures (cellos, reeds, etc.).

Being familiar with the true sounds of the instruments can help but I don't believe this would preclude hearing differences.

I am quite familiar with the sounds of many acoustic instruments, but I am suspicious of most high-res vs. redbook samples available online...

Cheers,

Ricardo

I am quite familiar with the sounds of many acoustic instruments, but I am suspicious of most high-res vs. redbook samples available online...

Cheers,

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

I can certainly understand. All too many comparisons and "shootouts" I've seen have the different formats at different levels and sometimes feature completely different masterings. This is exactly why I created the Format Comparison page.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

...how about the other samples?

Barry does have other samples on the Soundkeeper site. (BTW, every one of his productions is a keeper!)

Additionally, back in December, Mark Waldrep (aka Dr. AIX) posted some comparison files on his FTP site.

"They are all 96 kHz/24-bit PCM stereo files (so that they can be played simultaneously and be randomly selected) but the quality of audio ranges from the original source, to CD spec, and finally 256 kbps MP3."

Here's the full blog posting where he talks about it: Can Consumers Tell? | Real HD-Audio. You can request access to the downloads here.

Regards

CAPS v3 Topanga / JRiver MC21 | iFi iUSB Power | Woo Audio WDS-1 DAC

Odyssey Khartago Extreme | Magnepan 1.7s

Dedicated 20A circuit; Hubbell HBL5362I Receptacles; Shunyata Venom Defender Power Conditioner; Shunyata Venom Power Cables; Belkin Gold USB Cable; Kimber Hero WBT Interconnects; Anti-Cable Speaker Cables

I have an interesting recording of Couperin's "Office des Ténèbres" (counter-tenor, bass violin, theorbo, organ) that was produced in a church using a recording dummy head.

Clarification: The Harmonic Classics website has separate pages for the CD issue and the iTunes download of that recording. The page for the CD version (with an "order" button) is here.

Office des Ténèbres de la Semaine Sainte