IGNORED

Amarra Conclusions - Thumbs Up!

ciamara

Clay, you said: "Like Chris, I am listening to ALAC files via Amarra in the current 'test' version of Amarra. While I don't know the date, I will quite confidently predict that the next release of Amarra will include support for ALAC files."

How can you be listening to ALAC files via Amarra, if Amarra doesn't support ALAC files as just noted? Besides, Chris' article:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/In-What-Format-Should-I-Rip-My-Music said to use AIFF if you have storage space for best results.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

It handles long file path names, and unbeknownst to him previously, uses a new feature that allows ALAC playback. The debate was not about ALAC playback being superior or inferior (some say any compression has sonic risks) just that it's there and signals an ALAC-capable production release near-term. Good bad or indifferent, ALAC support will pull in a much broader market.

Forehaven,

Due to the magnitude of the issues I was having with Amarra, I was given a pre-release version of code, which is still undergoing testing at Sonic prior to general release as version 1.1 ....thus my confidence that ALAC support will be released shortly, as there are users anxiously awaiting the release of the fix for the 'long file names' bug which is in the same version of code.

clay

Yes, thanks for that clarification, Clay.

What about streaming audio? I read a post from one user here who mentioned how great last.fm sounded w/ Amarra. (I assume he was playing last.fm through iTunes.) Is Amarra actually supporting streaming, or does it cut out and let iTunes handle it?

Also, is there any connection at all possible between Amarra & Airtunes/Airfoil? Ie, can I get Amarra to play non-iTunes Airtunes output?

Much thanks,

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

"Also, is there any connection at all possible between Amarra & Airtunes/Airfoil? Ie, can I get Amarra to play non-iTunes Airtunes output?"

Yes, you can. I selected Soundflower (to allow Airfoil hijacking) as 'sound output' in Audio Midi and then select System Audio in Airfoil.

It seemed a bit temperamental, but it did work.

I believe you might be able to chose Amarra in the Airfoil window - click on the menu button at the bottom of the screen, select other apps, and then browse to Amarra. This method would probably only work for songs that Amarra plays (and therefore not for songs which Amarra hands back to iTunes).

Does all the Amarra goodness arrive intact after running through the AirTunes conversion from AIFF to ALAC (for transmission) and then through the Airport Express / Apple TV DAC? Doubtful.

clay

given that Amarra 'monitors' the iTunes Play/FF/RW buttons, surely there is no need for s separate set of controls on a separate Amarra window? All it has to do is to activate automatically when lossless files are played, and deactivate when lossy files are played. The Amarra player will continue to be a separate player playing in sync with iTunes, it's just that a separate GUi is not required.

regards[br]Michael[br]Mac mini & Amarra 3 | Weiss Minerva | CEC TL-51x | Octave HP500se | ADAM Tensor Delta active speakers. [br]MacBook Pro | V-DAC | Yamamoto HA-02 | ATH-W1000[br]AppleTV | DACMagic2 | Sugden A25 | ADAM HM2

Downloaded Amarra Mini Demo last night.

Who knew that I was just a free (for now) download away away from such enhanced sound quality!

What follows ... enhanced enjoyment, smiles, happiness.

Needless to say, I'm sold. Don't listen to iTunes without it!

Gracias!

Russell

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2