IGNORED

TIDAL: Best sounding ways to play?

Best client for TIDAL on mac?

Two key issues are:

1- Sound quality

2- iPad interface

I would say for TIDAL per-se, Aries is great - fulfills both points very well.

I like the mac's native client's sound quality, but controlling it over VNC is rather frustrating. What other options are there?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Best client for TIDAL on mac?

Two key issues are:

1- Sound quality

2- iPad interface

I would say for TIDAL per-se, Aries is great - fulfills both points very well.

I like the mac's native client's sound quality, but controlling it over VNC is rather frustrating. What other options are there?

Nothin? C'mon...

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

what is VNC? playing TIDAL usb out to schiit gingnir DAC out to avr is better than anything but Qobuz(= to it) what do you need ipad for? just play through your home sound system

VNC allows you to see the mac screen on an iPad. So by using touch you can do what you'd do by pointing a mouse. The problem with it is that it's problematic and switching from typing to pointing is very cumbersome.

I use to control players/software that don't have a native iPad client, like Audirvana2, Amarra, TIDAL on mac, etc.

system pics

Install Airserver on your mac (hardwired to dac), then stream Tidal or Qobuz to it from your ipad (using the ios app).

When plugging a newer Mac directly into a DAC that lacks volume control, the Mac sets Sound/"Output volume" to maximum. If you're using powered speakers [Amp(s)] which also have no volume control(s), you can't turn down and control the volume. Does Airserver recognize/restore volume control either in/to the iPad or iPhone?

Source: TIDAL HiFi/Masters, Pandora One > iPeng 9.2.1 on iPhone6s/iPad

Great Room: SBT#1 > Cullen Coax > PS Audio DL3 DAC > Audio Envy cables > Martin Logan (ML) 200Wpc Purity.

SBT#2 >JVC 110w amp > ML Motion 4 & AudioEngine 5.

Garage: SBT3 > Audioquest TOS > Wyred mINT > Cullen Cables > Martin Logan Motion 12

Carry Anywhere: TIDAL/Pandora >iPhone 6s > Bose Mini Bluetooth speaker.

Install Airserver on your mac (hardwired to dac), then stream Tidal or Qobuz to it from your ipad (using the ios app).

I have Airfoil Speakers. I have found it to drop out on occasion. Is Airserver more reliable?

system pics

VNC allows you to see the mac screen on an iPad. So by using touch you can do what you'd do by pointing a mouse. The problem with it is that it's problematic and switching from typing to pointing is very cumbersome.

I use to control players/software that don't have a native iPad client, like Audirvana2, Amarra, TIDAL on mac, etc.

Also, note that Tidal as well as Qobuz do have ios apps for your ipad.

Airfoil, Airserver virtually the same function.

Please take a long, good hard look at your internet and especially wireless strength and speed- slow speeds are 99.99% of the cause of dropouts.

Speedtest.net , run on your ipad , will tell you lots, as well as airport utility for your wireless network strength.

Understood. Airfoil on the mini in my main system actually dropped out (very rarely) while getting streamed to from itunes using a local file. And that was over wired gig ethernet.

I do have plenty of speed and reach (300 mbps down, 500 mbps wifi).

system pics

Also, note that Tidal as well as Qobuz do have ios apps for your ipad.

Yes, I will try this with Airfoil. Good suggestion.

system pics

Nice speeds....whoa baby!

Do try bitperfect- you can increase ram dedicated to audio for increased buffering.

It's only $10.

Thx. Have Audirvana 1 & 2, JRMC20, Amarra, and PureMusic... :)

system pics

Using Airfoil Speakers. Works great. Thx.

system pics

OK now I'm lost. Here is what I think miguelito wanted:

Mac connected to DAC running Tidal streams that come from the iPad. Correct?

Going to the Rogue website I see Airfoil for mac and Airfoil speakers and Airfoil remote. Three separate apps. What gets installed in what?

Please take it slow and easy. I would like to connect my Macbook air to my DAC and control it with an android pad. I can get the android pad to play Tidal, I can get the macbook air to play Tidal, but I'm lost as to how to get the macbook air controlled by the android pad to play tidal.

Maybe Santa will bring me an Aries, but in the meantime I could live with this.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

OK now I'm lost. Here is what I think miguelito wanted:

Mac connected to DAC running Tidal streams that come from the iPad. Correct?

I want to have my mini+DAC stream TIDAL content with:

1- High quality sound

2- Convenient interface

Going to the Rogue website I see Airfoil for mac and Airfoil speakers and Airfoil remote. Three separate apps. What gets installed in what?

Airfoil for mac includes Airfoil Speakers, an app that makes the mac look like an Airplay speaker.

So what you do is:

1- Connect your mac to your DAC

2- Run Airfoil Speakers on the mac and select the DAC as the output device

3- Run TIDAL on your iPad

4- Select the iPad output to be the Airplay speaker in '2'

You get high quality sound b/c Airplay is lossless for 16/44 type streams, and you get a native app on the iPad which is much better than using TIDAL over VNC.

Now this all implies an iPad. I presume there's similar Airplay functionality on android, but I don't know for sure.

As for other solutions, you could run TIDAL on the mac itself and use a VNC client from your Android device to control it. It's not a great interface as I mentioned originally but it works.

system pics

I want to have my mini+DAC stream TIDAL content with:

1- High quality sound

2- Convenient interface

Airfoil for mac includes Airfoil Speakers, an app that makes the mac look like an Airplay speaker.

So what you do is:

1- Connect your mac to your DAC

2- Run Airfoil Speakers on the mac and select the DAC as the output device

3- Run TIDAL on your iPad

4- Select the iPad output to be the Airplay speaker in '2'

You get high quality sound b/c Airplay is lossless for 16/44 type streams, and you get a native app on the iPad which is much better than using TIDAL over VNC.

Now this all implies an iPad. I presume there's similar Airplay functionality on android, but I don't know for sure.

As for other solutions, you could run TIDAL on the mac itself and use a VNC client from your Android device to control it. It's not a great interface as I mentioned originally but it works.

Thank you for the clear explanation.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Perfect, Miguelito....Also, with this setup you can remotely control media resident on the Mac, including hi res.

What do you mean exactly?

system pics

Using Apple's Remote app, you can play hires files resident on your directly connected mac from your ipad when using bitperfect or Audiarvarna.

My Grace m920 shows the higher bit rates when I do.

Ah, yes of course.

You can also use JRemote for JRMC (great remote, much better than Apple's, but only for JRMC). I have tried almost everything except for HQPlayer. After very many back and forths I am currently using iTunes + Audirvana 1.5.10. I am still trying Auralic's Aries but more or less giving up on it.

system pics