IGNORED

TIDAL: Best sounding ways to play?

Call me simple, but I'm trying to stay within the "ecosystem" as much as possible, with the exception of bitperfect and Airserver. I see the rabbit hole so many go down with RAID, NAS,DLNA, VPNs ad nauseum for no increased SQ.

Well, I wouldn't be so stark about it... :) I do find a few solutions to sound a bit better than others. For example, in many instances upsampling can sound very good, better than no upsampling, and this depends on a lot of things. However, I do agree that these increments are more or less marginal - it depends on your DAC, system in general, etc.

I'd rather just enjoy music at the same resolution as all that.

It's easy to get into a rabbit hole of trying different software and hardware (as I have to be honest). I agree completely that it's important to focus on the music.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

It occurred to me that I have an Airport Express lying around unused.

What I don't have is an minijack to toslink cable so I ordered one. Now I'll be able to connect the digital output of the airport express to my DAC, free up my macbook air and play Tidal from the macbook air app through airplay to the airport express.

Any caveats that anyone can think of will be appreciated. I'll report back when I get my cable.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

What I don't have is an minijack to toslink cable so I ordered one. Now I'll be able to connect the digital output of the airport express to my DAC, free up my macbook air and play Tidal from the macbook air app through airplay to the airport express.

Any caveats that anyone can think of will be appreciated. I'll report back when I get my cable.

That will work just fine. The way I use Airport Expresses for house distribution is by connecting them over ethernet to the LAN rather than wirelessly, the connection is more reliable that way (no dropouts).

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

That will work just fine. The way I use Airport Expresses for house distribution is by connecting them over ethernet to the LAN rather than wirelessly, the connection is more reliable that way (no dropouts).

Good plan, all I would add is to explore using the ios app, if you have an idevice or ipad instead of the Macbook Air. Frees it up even more!

This is exactly what I do, with AE connected to router via ethernet cable as Miguelto suggests.

Good plan, all I would add is to explore using the ios app, if you have an idevice or ipad instead of the Macbook Air. Frees it up even more!

This is exactly what I do, with AE connected to router via ethernet cable as Miguelto suggests.

BTW, if you connect the AE to your router/LAN via ethernet cable, set it up to "create network" for your Macbook or idevice to stream to.

This way, you can avoid traffic on the rest of your wireless network from interfering with your audio enjoyment!

More good advice, thanks.

I already have LAN wired around the house, so adding another wire is no big deal, the holes are already in place.

One of these days I will get an iPad. I'm tired of my Android pad...no real Airplay support, no JRemote, etc..

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I tried that approach and had problems with jitter, signal drop, and no control of volume.

Source: TIDAL HiFi/Masters, Pandora One > iPeng 9.2.1 on iPhone6s/iPad

Great Room: SBT#1 > Cullen Coax > PS Audio DL3 DAC > Audio Envy cables > Martin Logan (ML) 200Wpc Purity.

SBT#2 >JVC 110w amp > ML Motion 4 & AudioEngine 5.

Garage: SBT3 > Audioquest TOS > Wyred mINT > Cullen Cables > Martin Logan Motion 12

Carry Anywhere: TIDAL/Pandora >iPhone 6s > Bose Mini Bluetooth speaker.

I tried that approach and had problems with jitter, signal drop, and no control of volume.

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully, the AE solution will work for me. If not I'm out the cost of a 16$ toslink cable. I'm trying to avoid Bluesound or Aries until I'm sure I want to keep Tidal. Right now, their service sucks, but I am willing to give it a 6 month trial if I can get a somewhat convenient interface.

Please take a good look at your internet and wireless networks, then.

Works well for so many of us.

I researched it extensively. Both my Internet and wireless are fine: 20Mpbs + Airport Time Capsule.

In my case its the clock issue which is reported widely in forums.

You're using the Grace Design m920 which includes "third generation s-Lock™ dual stage PLL (phase lock loop) circuitry for the ultimate in low jitter clocking and sonic integrity." Many high-end DACs (another is Peachtree) and some low-end DACS use re-clocking circuits to compensate for problems with the Apple eco-system.

Since I own two Squeezebox Touch, I bit the bullet and loaded LMS w/ ickStream, then signed up for a TIDAL account*. Plays and sounds great. ickStream still has a few 'bugs', but the team is hard at work to fix.

* Fidelity is good, but I'm not that pleased with TIDAL's music catalog. They've overlooked a number of genres (e.g. New Age) as well as cater to the younger-edgy set and European labels. To successfully marketed in the US, they'll need to add many more American-based artists.

Great Room: SBT#1 > Cullen Coax > PS Audio DL3 DAC > Audio Envy cables > Martin Logan (ML) 200Wpc Purity.

Garage: SBT3 > Audioquest TOS > Wyred mINT > Cullen Cables > Martin Logan Motion 12

DanSmedra: You mentioned dropouts. How did you determine if the dropout was due to the Apple eco-system and not Tidal's crappy service? I ask because I had dropouts with all but my Android Pad...i.e., Apple App, Windows App, Chrome interface.

I'm wondering if the dropouts exist on Bluesound and/or Aries as well.

I wish I had a Squeezebox Touch, but they are commanding way too high prices on Ebay for that to be an option.

DanSmedra: You mentioned dropouts. How did you determine if the dropout was due to the Apple eco-system and not Tidal's crappy service? I wish I had a Squeezebox Touch, but they are commanding way too high prices on Ebay for that to be an option.

I've experienced none of those particular problems with the connection system I settled on. TIDAL is rock solid with my current setup.

Read the comment directly below the picture of the back of this Peachtree amplifier. Computer Audio and AirPlay | Peachtree Audio The drop and jitter I experienced was with AE. I tried Apple TV, but had no control of the volume, since both my DAC and powered speakers have no volume control either.

I agree, it may work fine in one particular setup vs. another. Further, I've discovered emptyness behind some album covers at TIDAL. I'm not sure why, but I'm hoping it's not some marketing gimmick.

PS. Meridian's MQA will likely be a total game-changer across the industry.

DanSmedra: You mentioned dropouts. How did you determine if the dropout was due to the Apple eco-system and not Tidal's crappy service? I ask because I had dropouts with all but my Android Pad...i.e., Apple App, Windows App, Chrome interface.

Excellent point. Many people are reporting dropouts on all kinds of equipment and with extremely high speed internet. I cancelled after paying for one month because of this. It was just too annoying.

This is a great thread.

Is there any app on OSX that groups all the music streaming services together? One that includes Tidal, Spotify and Pandora?? Thanks

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Best client for TIDAL on mac?

Two key issues are:

1- Sound quality

2- iPad interface

I would say for TIDAL per-se, Aries is great - fulfills both points very well.

I like the mac's native client's sound quality, but controlling it over VNC is rather frustrating. What other options are there?

To my ears the Mac native sound quality is inferior to the Auralic Aries playing of Tidal.

Playing Tidal on Mac using Amarra Sq ,particularly with the equalizer setting geared to the music being played is definitely

better then the Mac playing Tidal natively . It is still not better though then the Aries .

So Aries >Mac with Sq > Mac native playing Tidal .

i don't use pandora anymore b/o sq ie what is it 128kbs? never used spotify

IMHO all one needs is TIDAL and Qobuz both have osx apps for the mac, iphone and i guess ipad

BeatsMUsic has an app for iphone and on apple tv but i only use that to listen to my 400+ imported playlists from MOG

all of those 'services' plus itunes sound wonderful with Amarra sQ and i am able to stream TIDAL and Qobuz to apple tv out to my other avr/soundsystem using AIRSERVER(just follow the directions very closely and read the FAQ's)

to that fellow that said TIDAL was a 'crappy' service i just think he is dead wrong BM is a crappy service(BM<an apt acronym,oops sorry WG!) BM has no web app and offers no services unless you are listening to inferior sound with a device it's only 'decent from apple tv to a sound system but still only 325kbps i think

I had really been looking forward to Tidal becoming available, and was just about to start a Tidal subscription. However, what seems to be a serious drop out issue (mentioned here and elsewhere) and the comments about entire genre's (New Age) and apparently many major American artists missing from their catalog concern me.

My intent was to stream it from my iPad through my Apple Airport Express, which connects to my DAC. Now I'm wondering if it's worth bothering with.

JC

I had really been looking forward to Tidal becoming available, and was just about to start a Tidal subscription. However, what seems to be a serious drop out issue (mentioned here and elsewhere) and the comments about entire genre's (New Age) and apparently many major American artists missing from their catalog concern me.

My intent was to stream it from my iPad through my Apple Airport Express, which connects to my DAC. Now I'm wondering if it's worth bothering with.

JC

If you already have an iPad and AE, download the player app and give it a try for 7 days or 1 month to test your hardware. They also need feedback if they're going to be responsive to listeners. While TIDAL is working nicely via LMS/ickStream/iPeng, I've drafted a one page letter on the the heavy bent of their music curation. I haven't sent or posted it yet, as I'm hoping the CEO becomes responsive to comments from subscription cancellations.

For me, 1411kbps is rather secondary if genres and playlists are constructed by a sub-culture of tattooed/pierced thirty-somethings whose musical tastes are largely indie, alternative, hip-hop, rap, techno, metal, whatever, and some bits of ‘retro’ thrown in to appease the older set.

I was able to get my Macbook Air and an Airport Express to stream Tidal. So if you have these AND if you have a robust network it should work.

The key for me was in realizing that I needed an older version of the firmware (version 7.6.1). Fortunately, Airport Utility allows you to downgrade firmware. You need to option click on the firmware number while in edit.

Prior to doing this downgrade, I was getting quite a bit of stuttering, unrelated to Tidal's service hitches. Those are longer in duration and can be seen on their player.

Bottom line is that if you have an airplay device, you don't need anything else to get hires streaming in the USA.

After upgrading to latest version of linn kazoon, I was able to stream TIDAL to my linn ds.

Very nice on features.

I did A/B comparison on a Patricia Barber track I had also on my NAS, and not found significant differences. At a very subjective level, the streamed from TIDAL seemed a bit less precise on transients, but not sure I would be able to pick.

Good integration with linn kazoo, by the way.

I spent part of last week with an NAD M12 with the BluOS module. It worked flawlessly with Tidal, not a single drop out. Sound quality was superb, I really don't think I could have picked the tidal stream from a local Redbook file.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

• 2 months later...
Install Airserver on your mac (hardwired to dac), then stream Tidal or Qobuz to it from your ipad (using the ios app).

I agree. I also set AirServer to "add a lossless quality receiver" to force the iPad to stream lossless. Then I added Pure Music streamthrough with Hogg Mode and native integer support enabled and disabled all DSP processing. Set iPad and iPhone both to 5 Ghz channel on AirPort Extreme hard wired to Mac Mini. Amarra SQ also works great. Other approaches (Chrome, Tidal App on Mac )were #%^%. The iPhone actually works best.