IGNORED

Imaging: Left to Righ pans change in height

Hi everyone

I recently setup my system in a new room and I have noticed that when a sound pans left to right (or right to left) the image height changes. Sounds at the left and right seem to come from about speaker height while sounds in the center seem to come from a point a foot or two higher in space.

I remember this characteristic in the past however it was something I was able to resolve or at least reduce via speaker setup tweaks. The only thing is...I don't remember what I did.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help

Matt

Nvidia ION running JRiver 21 on Win 7

- USB to Firestone Audio Bravo USB to SPDIF Converter. Optical to miniDSP NanoDigi eq/crossover. SPDIF to 2 Cambridge Audio DacMagics. Analogue to Audio Refinement Pre-5 to 2 M&K V-75 powered subwoofers & Audio Refinement Multi-2 power amp to Focal Chorus 716s.

- Intel NUC on Win 10 as JRiver 21 DLNA renderer. USB to Breeze Audio DU-U8 USB to SPDIF converter. SPDIF to Anthem MRX-520. Mirage OMD-5: left, right & surrounds. Mirage OMD-C1: center. SVS-SB-2000: subwoofer.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Pro on Volumio DLNA renderer to Rega Mira 3 to Dali Zensor 1s.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Standard on Volumio DLNA renderer to NAD 312 to PSB Alphas.

Thanks. I've checked the phase and I've got the left and right speakers hooked up properly.

- USB to Firestone Audio Bravo USB to SPDIF Converter. Optical to miniDSP NanoDigi eq/crossover. SPDIF to 2 Cambridge Audio DacMagics. Analogue to Audio Refinement Pre-5 to 2 M&K V-75 powered subwoofers & Audio Refinement Multi-2 power amp to Focal Chorus 716s.

- Intel NUC on Win 10 as JRiver 21 DLNA renderer. USB to Breeze Audio DU-U8 USB to SPDIF converter. SPDIF to Anthem MRX-520. Mirage OMD-5: left, right & surrounds. Mirage OMD-C1: center. SVS-SB-2000: subwoofer.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Pro on Volumio DLNA renderer to Rega Mira 3 to Dali Zensor 1s.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Standard on Volumio DLNA renderer to NAD 312 to PSB Alphas.

Image height, from my understanding, is primarily a result of comb filtering by sound reflections, mostlyy from the ceiling and floor, assuming the speaker is functioning properly (speakers and crossovers).

Good way to test for this stuff by ear is to feed a mono signal to or from the amp and listen to how it sounds on each side as you flip the balance control. You generally find that your 2 sides don't sound exactly the same from a centered listening position because of room effects. If your listening seat is not exactly equidistant from each speaker, and centered, they will each sound different in several respects, including image height and bass.

What Richmalk, and maelob said.

I would guess the speakers not being exactly level. Crossover effects between multi-driver speakers can make them picky about this. If one speaker tilts forward or even sideways just a little different than the other you can get such an effect. Small shim under one or the other would fix that if you don't have adjustable spikes. Other possibilities are asymmetrical room. Or having reflective glass on one sidewall and not the other. So check your first reflection points on the sidewall.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I'll check everything for level and double-check some my dimensions. I have room treatments for the sidewalls and ceiling but my goal is to get the system tuned up as best I can before I start putting holes in the wall in order to mount the treatments.

That's what I'm leaning towards. Last night I double checked my placement measurements and leveled the speakers. The phenomenon persists.

Try to connect the outputs of the amp from left to right and vice versa. With this test you can check, if the failure happens before the speaker outlets of the amp or after. Next, if this test did not move the failure to the other side, try to switch the speakers from one to the other side. If the failure is still on the same side, it's is the speaker setup or - your ears - don't laugh.

I would do that simple test before I'd build a new house around my speakers ;)

Last night I hung my acoustical panels from the ceiling and it has taken care of the problem. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Hi everyone

I recently setup my system in a new room and I have noticed that when a sound pans left to right (or right to left) the image height changes. Sounds at the left and right seem to come from about speaker height while sounds in the center seem to come from a point a foot or two higher in space.

I remember this characteristic in the past however it was something I was able to resolve or at least reduce via speaker setup tweaks. The only thing is...I don't remember what I did.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help

Matt

I suggest that when a signal is panned to the center, it is actually being mixed equally into the right and the left channels and the resulting "sum" is playing with either frequency response (by adding or subtracting phase information) or overall phase making the sound seem to change height.

George