IGNORED

Marantz NA8005 Or...

https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=496

There is always the NAD M12!!! (with the upcoming "Bluesound card".... ) but it's a big risk to try for 7-8K !

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Aaah, the 'bits is bits' debate - extensively waged here and elsewhere and - other than jitter measurements - you're unlikely to find an objective reason why an expensive audiophile streamer will sound better as a source than the truckload of consumer devices with digital outputs, but if everything I've read about the current crop of purpose-built network players is correct they do. And I think you'll find that folk have been spending a lot more than 1K for these devices since Linn and Naim decided this was a better choice than disc spinning devices.

The hardware is always fine. The whole multiroom network streaming thing continues to be let down on the software side.

It's like the manufactures are all scrambling to get product to market ..then... Queue customer...*YOU* sort out how to use and robust control the thing ...

Marantz, Linn, Naim, Pioneer, Oppo one, Aurilic Aires, they are all the darn same... And on and on it goes... One added nearly every second day...

Full of crap IMHO..because nobody has figured out how to control and sync DLNA /uPnP Properly 100% robust in true SYNC all of the time...

These players might be ok for one room. But beyond that forget it....

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

As Miska often more eloquently says. DLNA doesn't work. I'll add it sucks. Always has. And always probably will....

Goodness, haven't Marantz et al learnt anything from their previous disastrous attempts in that having a decent user interface which delivers all that the hardware has potential for, is key? It's definitely not all about sound quality and we as end users really shouldn't need to just hope that a firmware and/or control app update will eventually sort things out! How many years is it since the old Maranatz NA7004 has been around and they still can't come up with a decent user experience for the later models out of the box - shame on them!

LOL Agree with that!

The hardware is always fine. The whole multiroom network streaming thing continues to be let down on the software side.

It's like the manufactures are all scrambling to get product to market ..then... Queue customer...*YOU* sort out how to use and robust control the thing ...

Marantz, Linn, Naim, Pioneer, Oppo one, Aurilic Aires, they are all the darn same... And on and on it goes... One added nearly every second day...

Full of crap IMHO..because nobody has figured out how to control and sync DLNA /uPnP Properly 100% robust in true SYNC all of the time...

These players might be ok for one room. But beyond that forget it....

Seriously...they need to just hire the guy who wrote the jremote app

Exactly..

Guys is there a wireless dongle for the Marantz NA8005? thanks..

As Miska often more eloquently says. DLNA doesn't work. I'll add it sucks. Always has. And always probably will....

It's quirky I'll give you that... and the remote control applications can negatively impact fidelity. Which is why I always preferred using a controller function that was part of the renderer firmware for UPNP and now use SMB. Firmware is always faster than software.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

No. The new A/V receivers have them but not the stand alone network players. No Bluetooth that means also.

Of course for WiFi you can add a wireless bridge...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

No. The new A/V receivers have them but not the stand alone network players. No Bluetooth that means also.

Marantz UK | RX101

Now you can wirelessly send data stored on mobile devices such as the iPhone or on PC systems supporting the Bluetooth standard A2DP, directly to your Marantz product – thanks to the new RX101 Bluetooth Module. It simply connects to the M-XPort and directs the signal to the AV Receiver or Amplifier. And since the M-XPort (Marantz eXtension Port) also powers the module no additional power adaptor is required.

You need the proprietary m-xport:

marantz-m-xport.jpg

The NA7004 has it, but Marantz in their infinite wisdom seem to have decided the NA8005 doesnt need it, so it's back to the Apple Store :(

NA7004-F.jpg

I dont need to mention that my BDP-105D came with a wireless dongle in the box, do I ? Just sayin'.

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

Actually that's not completely true. That doesn't address the Bluetooth omission.

Are you debating yourself now David?

You could add a Arcam rBlink or Musical Fidelity V90-BLU for Bluetooth :-)

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Are you debating yourself now David?

You could add a Arcam rBlink or Musical Fidelity V90-BLU for Bluetooth :-)

There it is. Seems odd that it wasn't included in this piece seeing as it's pretty much in all of their low (and higher) cost A/V receivers.

Not debating but second guessing myself! *s*

David

Seems odd that it wasn't included in this piece seeing as it's pretty much in all of their low (and higher) cost A/V receivers.

Thats true ... and considering there is probably the same streaming module in there as in the AV receivers.

Marantz do seem allergic to WiFi though :-)Thats not true any more ... I see the SR7009 has built in WiFi and Blutooth.

Eloise

---

• 1 month later...

Bluetooth is not as useful as full wifi IMHO..

Reasons should be obvious to all who follow this network music game..

I guess there is ethernet over power for tricky hard to get to spots.. But does this introduce sound problems.. ground loops?? I really have no idea.. :)

I guess there is ethernet over power for tricky hard to get to spots.. But does this introduce sound problems.. ground loops?? I really have no idea.. :)

I've always had a bit of an allergy / paranoia about Ethernet over power - we spend a long time looking to "perfect" the quality of the power supply for our HiFi; yet Ethernet over power is deliberately "infecting" it with noise.

Eloise

Eloise

---

I've always had a bit of an allergy / paranoia about Ethernet over power - we spend a long time looking to "perfect" the quality of the power supply for our HiFi; yet Ethernet over power is deliberately "infecting" it with noise.

Eloise

Exactly.

So what was Marantz thinking with the design of this streamer???

I just *don't* get this industry sometimes hahahahahhaha

Anybody lived in Japan (Marantz)

How do you get ethernet thru an apartment in Tokyo??

Have I (and Marantz) missed something here??

Particularly (as has been pointed out) every other of their network capable devices have it..

Heck even the equiv soon to be released Denon has it..

...who in their right 21C mind would release something like this from Japan without wifi??

There is ALWAYS something missing from the perfect streamer hahahahahahahhaha

Sure something like Digital coax.. maybe (Marantz thought well to include this)

DSD gapless.. maybe.. maybe not.. (not even sure if Marantz handles this)

Even the odd missing streaming service I can sort of understand and cope with... LOL

But wifi?????

Huh???????????

Was the CEO who signed this off, drunk on Sake or something during the final design preso>>?

What the heck are Marantz doing here?

Can someone please explain this madness to me?

I see the SR7009 has built in WiFi and Blutooth.

What??

hahahhahahaahaha I didn't know it was April 1st...

Is this some sort of joke with the NA8005??

Do you really think the CEO of D+M signs off on product specs ? I'd like to think the executives have a few more fish to fry than relatively low level stuff like that. Marketing, engineering and accounting would be the only people involved in the design and implementation phase, and IMO Marantz' marketing arm has let the team down for some years now. The Marantz UK disclaimer re wireless is yet another example of their complete inability to move with the times - inconceivable that you would see something like that from Yamaha or Sony.

I tend to fly the flag for Marantz given the sound quality of my SACD player and integrated amp, but I just cant fathom their thinking here. As John Atkinson pointed out in the Stereophile review of the NA-11S1, they also have a highly idiosyncratic approach to which audio formats to support via the USB connection : if part of Marketing's job is to canvas customers for feedback to give the engineers a set of requirements, I just dont see that they are doing that.

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

^ Sure.

But if the CEO doesn't realise the problems ..why bother with the company.. ?

A "Steve Jobs" hands on approach is what is needed here....

This is one of the key future directions Marantz: If not *every* audio company needs to nail..

Basically because these streamers will in the end completely replace disc playback. They already are.

And playback is one of the key steps (if not the crucial) step in the chain. In essence I'd argue the choice of playback influences the entire choice of every other piece of gear in that chain...

So the CEO definitely needs pay attention to this IMHO...

I'd like to think the executives have a few more fish to fry than relatively low level stuff like that.

Whilst I agree in essence what you say Ned: I disagree this is "low level stuff"...

Stuff up playback and you've lost the game :)