IGNORED

Bono spills the beans on itunes hi-res plans

Interestingly, the new artistic-themed music format Bono is so jazzed about will, according to him, include high-res studio master downloads to boot.

Here's the full article from tuaw:

Bono talks 885 million iTunes accounts, new music format, and "haters" | TUAW: Apple news, reviews and how-tos since 2004

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

Later in the interview, Bono even likened the band's deal with Apple to punk rock, explaining that the point of punk rock was to be "in your face" and that punk rock back in the day thrived on being right there in front of you even if you weren't looking for it....
"So 5 years ago I began a conversation with Steve Jobs at my house in France..."

Bono ventured on to discuss the music streaming business model, emphasizing that it's a great way to get musicians paid for their work.

This washed-up buffoon is so out-of-touch with reality it isn't even funny, just sad. But unfortunately a malevolent force to be reckoned with in combination with Apple's reality-distortion field. You want me to pay more in exchange for less freedom of choice? Sure, here's my credit-card number!

I may have missed it: but where does this say there will be DRM?

How is Bono any more washed up than Neil Young?

If they're looking at something akin to iTunes LP then if you are using a device without iTunes LP support you can play the files without restriction just not have any of the extra functions.

Given the number of "album" apps that have been released this seams like a logical next step...

If it turns out it has DRM then that's disappointing... But what exactly is coming remains to be seen.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I can get all manner of pirated material here in Thailand - including music CDs - but the quality is generally so abysmal that I end up either buying a CD from Amazon or paying for a 'proper' download. Many of the digital pirates here see absolutely no difference between MP3 and Redbook - HydrogenAudio types would be proud - and they'll jam a cheap CD-R full of as many tracks as possible to get tourists to part with the cash.

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

Well, SACD technology has been pretty effective at avoiding piracy (though not fully).

The effectiveness was close to zero as soon as hybrid SACDs were released. 99% of the music fans are happy enough with a CD-quality stereo copy, so not having the hi-rez or surround part will no make them buy the discs.

I also think that if SACD had been as popular as Blu-ray, it's protection would have been cracked much sooner, because many times more hackers would have targeted it.

Claude

Well, SACD technology has been pretty effective at avoiding piracy (though not fully). Apple could implement something similar on their own hardware. That would be an "advantage" of operating a closed system.

The effectiveness of SACD copy protection is in large part due to the fact that SACD uses an optical carrier that can't be read by computer DVD drives (SACD players are using a different laser wavelength to access the DSD content).

The new Apple format won't be using optical media so its copy protection will likely be far easier to circumvent by pirates. Apple's DRM could still be a serious PITA for normal users though.