IGNORED

Win7 on mac mini (bootcamp)

Want to add Win7 to my mac mini using bootcamp. Mostly to have the ability to try things in Win7 plus the ability to update my DAC's firmware without lugging the thing to my office (EmmLabs does not provide a way to do this on OSX).

I have a 120gb SSD currently with OSX only. Using about 15gb total (it's a minimal install, only for music).

Questions:

1- What size partition should I use?

2- Any recommendations on how to create the partition (bootcamp utility can do it for me but I wonder if it would be fragmented).

3- Any other recommendations?

Thx!

Mig

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Want to add Win7 to my mac mini using bootcamp. Mostly to have the ability to try things in Win7 plus the ability to update my DAC's firmware without lugging the thing to my office (EmmLabs does not provide a way to do this on OSX).

I have a 120gb SSD currently with OSX only. Using about 15gb total (it's a minimal install, only for music).

Questions:

1- What size partition should I use?

2- Any recommendations on how to create the partition (bootcamp utility can do it for me but I wonder if it would be fragmented).

3- Any other recommendations?

Thx!

Mig

Oh cmon! Noone?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I have this setup. I split the partition 50:50 with the bootcamp utility. I just followed the instructions and it works really well. I installed Real VNC on both the Mac and Win installations and control the mac headless with Remoter on iPad or the Real VNC client on one of multiple laptops/PCs. This way I can play with different player software on both OSs.

Good luck!

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

Hey - that's a real good way to go! I usually setup a 60gb partition for Windows, as it tend sot grow over time and Windows always "works better" with some breathing room on the disk. (For me, that is - YMMV.)

I would allow bootcamp to create the partition, it will use unfragmented space to do that.

Load the Windows iso and the Apple drivers onto a UBM stick and install from that rather than CDs. Much easier and makes (re)loading Windows quite painless.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein