IGNORED

Not digital related, question about a tube from a tube newbie

Kelly

Sorry to start a whole thread about this, but ...

So I got a tube device that uses a single tube (either 12Ax7 or 6922 variety) and the seller included a variety of NOS tubes he had purchased. A few of these tubes have little stickers on them, just like a price tag at a grocery store. Should these be removed before using the tube? They have identifying information on them so it might be kinda cool to leave them on, but it seems like they might get a bit hot. Anyone know?

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Some of the tubes I buy do have stickers on the glass or base with the test results or other info (I buy only older NOS vintage tubes that have been tested, and some seller's write the test results on a sticker and put it on the tube}. I remove the stickers.

My thinking is the tube gets hot, the glue on the sticker will melt and the sticker will fall off anyway. The sticker glue residue will remain on the tube and possibly drip down or otherwise create a mess on the tube.

Perhaps another issue is that if the sticker is placed on the glass, the sticker or glue residue might create a hot spot on the tube? Plus, in terms of aesthetics, the stickers would ruin the look of the equipment. :)

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Sorry to start a whole thread about this, but ...

So I got a tube device that uses a single tube (either 12Ax7 or 6922 variety) and the seller included a variety of NOS tubes he had purchased. A few of these tubes have little stickers on them, just like a price tag at a grocery store. Should these be removed before using the tube? They have identifying information on them so it might be kinda cool to leave them on, but it seems like they might get a bit hot. Anyone know?

12AX7s don't get that got, as they are a small signal tube, not a power tube. I suspect that it will be safe to leave the tags on. They might discolor over the years due to the filament heat, and the glue might soften, but other than that, I don't see any worries!

George

When I used lots of tubes I removed such things and cleaned them with window cleaner or alcohol. But I have seen people leave them on small signal tubes. As said they discolor. I don't know they cause a problem otherwise. Even then, I think it looks tacky. So I would still remove them.

Now I have been known to stick them on the rear or bottom plate in the same physical position to match up the info later. Along with stickers for dates I installed them and such. Or to make a template I kept in a drawer for the same purpose and stick them on the template.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Thanks for the responses. My inclination was the remove the stickers and residue with a solvent before putting them in the amp. I just couldn't figure a reputable vendor and a seller that seemed knowledgeable would leave stickers right on the tube if it caused a problem. My guess is that they have been used with the stickers already. But I will go ahead and take them off (along with the residue.)

Thanks again for the responses. If I knew how to close the thread I would.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open