IGNORED

Simple stereo receiver with Network support

Not "stereo" as such ... But check out the Marantz NR1504. Also the Yamaha R-N500 is exactly what you were looking for.

Eloise

PS I wouldn't worry about Marantz M-CR510 being "only" 60w unless you have some very unusual requirements.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Not "stereo" as such ... But check out the Marantz NR1504. Also the Yamaha R-N500 is exactly what you were looking for.

Eloise

PS I wouldn't worry about Marantz M-CR510 being "only" 60w unless you have some very unusual requirements.

how is Yamaha compared to Marantz?

how is Yamaha compared to Marantz?

No idea. I own the Marantz but only ever read reviews of the Yamaha.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Those speakers are easy to drive, so any of the AVR's mentioned will work. The Marantz to me seemed more musical but that's just me, Yamaha is well built but any of these will provide you with good sound for under $600..

Yamaha seems to have everything i need just to play stereo. I can hook up blueray and satellite to it. It seems like it is a good amp. I only have two speakers so getting a 7.1 receiver seems to be pointless. I cannot see any benefits. I had it for 5 years just to play stereo sound, so now i can upgrade to Yamaha to support network features plus old style stereo. The only thing i noticed they dont support ALAC code which might be an issue when apple starts to distribute hi res audio.

bad or good Bingo?

I would think you might want ALAC. I doubt Apple would put things out AIFF but you never know. More importantly Linn and some other high red music download sites off either ALAC or FLAC and if you are Mac you would want the ALAC.

David

I would think you might want ALAC. I doubt Apple would put things out AIFF but you never know. More importantly Linn and some other high red music download sites off either ALAC or FLAC and if you are Mac you would want the ALAC.

Yes, I would like to have it just in case.

It is hard to find a network amp that does everything. There is always some got ya.

I will probably go with new version of Marantz SR5008, but the true is that i don't need any of the video and surround features it has. I always though that simple amp would perform better as it has less electronic components then a av receiver.

• 1 year later...
Yamaha seems to have everything i need just to play stereo. I can hook up blueray and satellite to it. It seems like it is a good amp. I only have two speakers so getting a 7.1 receiver seems to be pointless. I cannot see any benefits. I had it for 5 years just to play stereo sound, so now i can upgrade to Yamaha to support network features plus old style stereo. The only thing i noticed they dont support ALAC code which might be an issue when apple starts to distribute hi res audio.

I know this thread is old but I have been looking for an inexpensive "Streamer, DAC/AMP" for sometime for my son who requires airplay for iTunes, Spotify and his iPhone plus hook up his Apple TV and the Yamaha NR 500 looks like it has all basis covered. It will also double for an outside system for our balcony so the extra set of speakers that can be played A / B and A + B is really attractive.

Only concern is all my ripped music is ALAC and that would be a deal killer (always something) as it is not listed under compatible formats. However, I saw this review, which I now can't find, that commented on the sound quality while playing 24/96 "Apple Lossless files", which obviously implies it s compatible with ALAC - can anyone confirm it is or otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

I know this thread is old but I have been looking for an inexpensive "Streamer, DAC/AMP" for sometime for my son who requires airplay for iTunes, Spotify and his iPhone plus hook up his Apple TV and the Yamaha NR 500 looks like it has all basis covered. It will also double for an outside system for our balcony so the extra set of speakers that can be played A / B and A + B is really attractive.

You might want to check ... but iirc the Yamaha doesn't offer gapless playback (at least not via UPnP). AirPlay should support gapless (and of course supports Apple Lossless and any other format in iTunes / on your iPhone or iPad) but is going to be limited to CDRB standard (no native High Resolution).

Eloise

---

Only concern is all my ripped music is ALAC and that would be a deal killer (always something) as it is not listed under compatible formats. However, I saw this review, which I now can't find, that commented on the sound quality while playing 24/96 "Apple Lossless files", which obviously implies it s compatible with ALAC - can anyone confirm it is or otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

Ajax

Check out the new Onkyo TX-8160 network stereo receiver. Has just about everything you are looking for although I can not be certain about the streaming of ALAC as I have not had one in to give it a workout.

Receivers | A/V Receiver | Stereo Receiver | AVR | TX-8160 | Onkyo USA

David

Check out the new Onkyo TX-8160 network stereo receiver. Has just about everything you are looking for although I can not be certain about the streaming of ALAC as I have not had one in to give it a workout.

Receivers | A/V Receiver | Stereo Receiver | AVR | TX-8160 | Onkyo USA

Hi Eloise and David,

Thank you for your thoughts.

The Onkyo TX-8160 looks like an amazing piece of kit for only US$399 (as listed on Amazon). From what I can ascertain it has just been released and presents incredible value if it sounds half decent considering the multitude of connectivity. Perfect for a second user friendly system for the family room and streaming around the house:

- Ethernet, Wireless, 2 x coaxial, 2 x optical, USB, Airplay, Bluetooth, Spotify,

- Hi-res DAC

- Smart phone app

- Second set of speakers

- Second zone

- Sub out

- plus plus plus

Manual also states that it plays ALAC so should be perfect for my needs if I can find it in Aus.

Thanks very much for the suggestion and your time.

Ajax

Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-8160 Network Stereo Receiver: Electronics

Hi Ajax,

The Yamaha R-N602, successor to the R-N500 mentioned by Eloise, is out this month. Its streaming spec is very similar to the Onkyo TX-8160 and includes Yamaha's latest MusicCast innovation, plus has arguably a better amp section (0.04% THD as opposed to 0.1%). List price is $650 US, though:

R-N602 - Stereo Receivers - Hi-Fi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi Ajax,

The Yamaha R-N602, successor to the R-N500 mentioned by Eloise, is out this month. Its streaming spec is very similar to the Onkyo TX-8160 and includes Yamaha's latest MusicCast innovation, plus has arguably a better amp section (0.04% THD as opposed to 0.1%). List price is $650 US, though:

R-N602 - Stereo Receivers - Hi-Fi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the recommendation. The Yamaha unit also appears to have incredible connectivity and also includes Apple Lossless. It appears the manufacturers have finally caught on to what's required for convenient playback, which bodes well for encouraging new generations into HiFi.

I obviously haven't heard either of these units but if they have reasonable sound then they are a no brainer for non audiophiles or a second systems. Not sure if we should expect much sound wise considering how much they have packed into one box at such low prices.

Add a pair of US$500-600 bookshelf speakers from the likes of Kef or B&W and you could have serious kit for US$1,000.

Regards,

Ajax

Ajax

Is that a new pioneer stereo receiver? The only ones I'm aware of don't have any network support, eg, the relatively recent SX-20.

Or are you referring to a Pioneer AV receiver (so not the subject of this thread)?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox