IGNORED

HQ Player

2 hours ago, Fleecyears said:

2/ Multicore DSP is Fully Ticked

Use the greyed option with 4.15.4

2 hours ago, Fleecyears said:

3/ CUDA Offload is fully ticked, but not sure how to check if it’s running

If greyed or fully ticked, message appears on the bottom status line indicating if CUDA offload was used for convolution and/or the main processing.
You can try greyed option too, HQPlayer does some analysis to choose an option.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

@Miska firstly a big thanks! Enjoying 4.15.4 quite a lot, resource utilization and sound-wise. Only issue is that with QoBuz streaming (not local hard drive playback)  there is a brief stutter / pause ~ 10 seconds before end of each track. Yes, this happened with prior 4.15 versions, hoping it would be fixed i 4.15.4. It occurs across a variety of shaper and filter settings, and whether prefetch / freewheel are checked or unchecked. NO stuttering with same settings elsewhere in playback, which is great, but this occurring near end of each streamed track is a bit annoying. Ideas for correction will be appreciated! Thank you.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

4 hours ago, bogi said:

Use the greyed option with 4.15.4

If greyed or fully ticked, message appears on the bottom status line indicating if CUDA offload was used for convolution and/or the main processing.
You can try greyed option too, HQPlayer does some analysis to choose an option.

For some reason Convolution is always turned off when I look at the bottom status bar

8 hours ago, Fleecyears said:

2/ Multicore DSP is Fully Ticked

Set it to grayed (auto). Otherwise it likely won't work nicely on any current x64 CPU.

8 hours ago, Fleecyears said:

3/ CUDA Offload is fully ticked, but not sure how to check if it’s running 

When you start playback, there's offload message shown on HQPlayer Desktop status bar for 10 seconds about offload status.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

@Miska firstly a big thanks! Enjoying 4.15.4 quite a lot, resource utilization and sound-wise. Only issue is that with QoBuz streaming (not local hard drive playback)  there is a brief stutter / pause ~ 10 seconds before end of each track.

That's the point when new TLS connection is established with Qobuz or HRA server. This involves some random number generation and cryptographic work. What kind of backend are you using and what kind of hardware buffer settings? Here I'm already assuming that you don't have Short Buffer enabled.

Note that some older or different applications use older way to access Qobuz and may use non-encrypted connections for the streams.

17 hours ago, Miska said:

You can also boot it in the same computer, since it doesn't require installation.

Just to follow up on my ALSA dropouts with Roon+HQPlayer on Audiolinux- the issue was solved. It was due to some conflicts with real-time assignment which was too much for my old cpu

14 hours ago, Miska said:

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Settings -> Environment variables

You set the name and value separately. When you adjust those, safest is to logout and login again to make sure they apply to running processes. For the HQPlayer ones, it is best to set those under user environment variables, instead of whole system.

Hi Jussi .. Can you explain what is this topic "environmentsl varisbles" all about??

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I would certainly recommend to stick with the latest version. Since there are various fixes and improvements.

Miska - I really appreciate the persistent work you've put into HQP and all the improvements incorporated over the years!

It's such a great piece of software!

However, the switching of matrix pipeline profiles is a significant step back for me personally in HQPD V4.15.4... namely the short discontinuation in sound when switching from one profile to another on the fly.

I fully understand that this behaviour can have advantages for certain use cases and I am sure you had good reasons to change it.

But I switch profiles on the fly quite often. I have a set of iir-plugin profiles to make very small, almost invisible adjustments - in particular different settings for loudness compensation. So while listening to music I may turn down the gain by a few db and then switch to a certain loudness compensation profile. Or - in a playlist - there are certain songs with, say, harsh treble that I want to turn down a bit (by switching to another matrix profile). For use cases like these it's a joy when the switch is "gapless". The short lag/break when switching profiles in v4.15.4 is really unsexy and disruptive.

I assume it's too much work to make the new behaviour an option? Selectable in the prefs or so? At least for matrix presets based on the built in iir-plugin? Would that be possible?

Well, at least I just wanted to let you know. Thanks for your attention!

_

4 hours ago, Miska said:

That's the point when new TLS connection is established with Qobuz or HRA server. This involves some random number generation and cryptographic work. What kind of backend are you using and what kind of hardware buffer settings? Here I'm already assuming that you don't have Short Buffer enabled.

Note that some older or different applications use older way to access Qobuz and may use non-encrypted connections for the streams.

ASIO backend Singxer SU-1 (SU-1 connects USB to my PC and I²S to my DAC), default buffer, short buffer unchecked. Singxer buffer setting highest (16384). Suggestions welcomed!

Thanks @Miska

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

1 hour ago, copy_of_a said:

However, the switching of matrix pipeline profiles is a significant step back for me personally in HQPD V4.15.4... namely the short discontinuation in sound when switching from one profile to another on the fly.

I fully understand that this behaviour can have advantages for certain use cases and I am sure you had good reasons to change it.

This is precisely on purpose to avoid tripping up the filters and limiter on the switch. It is part of a fix for bug reported on earlier versions.

Because the switch could happen on high position of the waveform. Now there's at most ~100 ms long fade-in.

I want to use Matrix for setting up convolution instead of the convolution tab, since it enables saving various options as setting

In the Matrix menu what is the mapping of the channels?

is it: channel 1 = Left, channel 2=right?

Do I just set the same gain for pipeline 1 and 2 , don't change source and target ch , leave "process" empty and just load the mono left impulse to pipeline 1, and the mono right impulse to pipeline 2 

?

4 minutes ago, GMG said:

In the Matrix menu what is the mapping of the channels?

is it: channel 1 = Left, channel 2=right?

Do I just set the same gain for pipeline 1 and 2 , don't change source and target ch , leave "process" empty and just load the mono left impulse to pipeline 1, and the mono right impulse to pipeline 2 

?

yes, exactly.

"process" won't be left empfty after you've loaded your IR files - the tab will show the respective file loaded then.

_

38 minutes ago, copy_of_a said:

yes, exactly.

"process" won't be left empfty after you've loaded your IR files - the tab will show the respective file loaded then.

I tried creating 2 different profiles, but I think something is strange or maybe I am missing something.

After loading the impulse response wav, it is saved under "process" with a generic names: impulse_0-0.wav and impulse_0-1.wav 

I then saved this to a profile and loaded a different impulse responses --> but they are again changed to the same generic name,

and I see that in the HQPLayer folder there is only 1 set of impulse responses, even though I created 2 different profiles

So how can the 2 profiles be different if they both eventually use the same impulse_0-0.wav and impulse_0-1.wav

I also checked in the HQPLayer.XML, and I see the 2 different profiles but they both call for the same generic impulses 

Am I missing something here? @Miska ?

28 minutes ago, GMG said:

I tried creating 2 different profiles, but I think something is strange or maybe I am missing something.

After loading the impulse response wav, it is saved under "process" with a generic names: impulse_0-0.wav and impulse_0-1.wav 

I then saved this to a profile and loaded a different impulse responses --> but they are again changed to the same generic name,

and I see that in the HQPLayer folder there is only 1 set of impulse responses, even though I created 2 different profiles

So how can the 2 profiles be different if they both eventually use the same impulse_0-0.wav and impulse_0-1.wav

I also checked in the HQPLayer.XML, and I see the 2 different profiles but they both call for the same generic impulses 

Am I missing something here? @Miska ?

Use Save-button when storing the matrix instead of clicking "Apply".