IGNORED

HQ Player

4 minutes ago, Bertel said:

Hmm, hard for me to understand why Amir (ASR), Wolf (I7lab) and others measure it so differently/superior…

They don't measure same things as I do. And on the other hand, Amir is sponsored by Topping. Maybe they get special review samples. Mine was just purchased with my own money. Feel kind of bad for my 900€...

But their results also indicated towards the same problems I found. I don't think it's fault of ES9038PRO, because I've seen better performing ES9028PRO implementations...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 minute ago, Miska said:

They don't measure same things as I do. And on the other hand, Amir is sponsored by Topping. Maybe they get special review samples. Mine was just purchased with my own money. Feel kind of bad for my 900€...

Which might explain why all topping product lineup gets raving reviews there and people on various forums complaint about having buyers remorse!!! Could it be just a bad sample with qc issues you happened to pick up Miska? 

18 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Could it be just a bad sample with qc issues you happened to pick up Miska? 

It could, but it tells that it could happen to anybody else too then. If there's sloppy QC.

But if you compare results for same measurements I did (matching measurements) as the other ones, there are not so much difference. The difference is more in the measurements others didn't do.

In any case, with DSD256 the performance is consistent without surprises. You need to have correct type of high quality modulator to keep the performance. Dynamic range could be better, but it is not issue if you are not hearing the background noise (hiss). If it becomes issue it will just sound like a tape noise or any other white background noise.

36 minutes ago, Zauurx said:

There is nothing on the core 0 because windows default is to run multiple processes and to optimize latency, I prefer not to add anything. (Win10 LTSC)

No it is not, HQPlayer is specifically putting specific things on core 0. If you are not using stock Windows and using something like AO, Fidelizer or something else to tamper with Windows or HQPlayer, your problems are because of such tampering.

3 hours ago, bogi said:

Should I see any change between values of 0 and 1 with my CPU? I tried to change the value in Control Panel (of course while HQPlayer process was not running) but I didn't observe any change. No complains to 4.15.4 - I have none. :)

Where does one find (and change) this environment variable (in Win10)?  Is =0 more like beta2?

8 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Where does one find (and change) this environment variable (in Win10)?  Is =0 more like beta2?

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Settings -> Environment variables

You set the name and value separately. When you adjust those, safest is to logout and login again to make sure they apply to running processes. For the HQPlayer ones, it is best to set those under user environment variables, instead of whole system.

9 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Start to write 'Edit environment variables for your account' into Windows search box. Then add new User environment variable.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
17 minutes ago, bogi said:

Start to write 'Edit environment variables for your account' into Windows search box. Then add new User environment variable.

Sorry I am very confused, can someone please explain what these settings with 0 or 1 do under the windows system environment?

so default is 1, and what does changing to 0 do?

I think I had it mixed up with the other conversation here where someone has no processing in core 0…

Thanks 

Deric 

Found it by running control.exe from task manager (running headless) and system -> advanced settings as per the earlier posts, thanks.  I just don't dare do it unless I hear what it does first, i.e if setting this to =0 makes this version a lot like beta2 I'm all in.  Or vice versa (=1).

18 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

so default is 1, and what does changing to 0 do?

Miska didn't explain it clearly and I didn't find the expected behavior change (I didn't re-login, but that should not be needed, restart of HQPlayer Desktop is needed).

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
21 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I saw the announcement that Embedded 4.28.3 was released and went to download it. I already had that version installed from a few days ago. Was this just a formal announcement?

I've been updating the two Ubuntu packages several times per day over past week or so. All the rest were built and uploaded today.

So check the package hash to verify you have latest package installed. Or just redownload and reinstall just in case.

@Miska Is there some reason the music folder has to have 777 permissions? I can't seem to get HQPe to see the music files any other way. I tried taking write and execute permissions away from "other" users so that only group and user could access it, and it made the music disappear until I put read write execute permissions back, for all users.

Of course, it may not be important because no one can connect to the machine without the smb username and password. I just tried, and I think I set that to "no" in the smb.conf, if I remember correctly.

No electron left behind.

7 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

@Miska Is there some reason the music folder has to have 777 permissions? I can't seem to get HQPe to see the music files any other way. I tried taking write and execute permissions away from "other" users so that only group and user could access it, and it made the music disappear until I put read write execute permissions back, for all users.

This is unrelated to HQPlayer, goes more to generic Linux/SMB administration...

You need to have "5" permissions for folders, that is read and execute. Regarding "other" vs "user" or "group". Is the user you are running HQPlayer under member of the said group? Or is the user id equal in case of "user" permission? If you are running HQPlayer Embedded as a service as default setup, it is running under special user id "hqplayer". If you want to use group permissions, make sure "hqplayer" user is member of that group.

If folder doesn't have execute access right, you cannot enter it. If it doesn't have read access right, you cannot read it's contents.

7 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Of course, it may not be important because no one can connect to the machine without the smb username and password. I just tried, and I think I set that to "no" in the smb.conf, if I remember correctly.

Remember that there's no user or group matching between machines across SMB. When mounting SMB volume, you can specify local user and group id the mount is presented as.

Hi All,

Normally, If I use DSD256 x 44.1, ASDM7EC or ASDM7ECv2 with poly-sinc-gauss-xla, there is severe stuttering, but I keep these settings and also turn on Convolution (with no other adjustments), just have it ticked, the stuttering goes away completely.

Any reason why this might be happening? 

Also, Convolution is turned on, are there any particular settings one should be considering 1st?

I'm using HQPlayer v4.15.4, with Ryzen 5800x, RTX3060ti and 64Gb memory on Ubuntu 20.10 and an i5 computer running Roon OS for NAA

Thanks

52 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I completely forgot that hqplayer user is created. Thanks for reminding me. That's exactly why I need the permissions set to 777 right now.

You can skip the write permission. My music shares for example are read-only from the server side. Read-only mounts... Write permission is only needed for cover extraction feature (if there's no detached cover, HQPlayer can extract it from the embedded ones).

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

You can skip the write permission. My music shares for example are read-only from the server side. Read-only mounts... Write permission is only needed for cover extraction feature (if there's no detached cover, HQPlayer can extract it from the embedded ones).

Alright, thanks. I will formulate a plan and work on it over the weekend. Right now I am going to listen to great sounding music!

No electron left behind.

31 minutes ago, Fleecyears said:

Normally, If I use DSD256 x 44.1, ASDM7EC or ASDM7ECv2 with poly-sinc-gauss-xla, there is severe stuttering, but I keep these settings and also turn on Convolution (with no other adjustments), just have it ticked, the stuttering goes away completely.

Any reason why this might be happening? 

Also, Convolution is turned on, are there any particular settings one should be considering 1st?

I'm using HQPlayer v4.15.4, with Ryzen 5800x, RTX3060ti and 64Gb memory on Ubuntu 20.10 and an i5 computer running Roon OS for NAA

What kind of buffer settings do you have? Do you have CUDA offload enabled and does it become active?

I assume Multicore DSP is set to grayed (auto).

1 minute ago, Miska said:

What kind of buffer settings do you have? Do you have CUDA offload enabled and does it become active?

I assume Multicore DSP is set to grayed (auto).

Hi Miska,

1/ Buffer is set to 100ms

2/ Multicore DSP is Fully Ticked

3/ CUDA Offload is fully ticked, but not sure how to check if it’s running 

9 hours ago, Miska said:

Those additional matrix fixes and few more optimizations.

If you want, you can change the behavior by setting following environment variable:

DSP_ACCELERATION=0

Default value, when not set is "1".

Hi Miska can you please clarify what does it do to set value to 0 or 1?  Thanks

Deric