IGNORED

HQ Player

2 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

just use desktop ; client is not mandatory

Not satisfactory for those of use who want size full album art and filter / shaper / settings displayed on playback screen. I am using client to achieve that on same machine as server, not a big issue for me but per above others find it annoying.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

4.02 is working and I can now use closed form 16M with CUDA offload.  Thank you, Jussi!

One question I have is what are advantages of adaptive rate output...is intent to optimize output within capabilities of the DAC? With my standard settings it actually slowed playback speed and CPU + GPU utilization doubled. I did read the description in manual,  but suspect I may be applying it incorrectly. Not sure what best use case is. Does it effectiveness vary by filter / shaper, and is it best for PCM, DSD or both? Clarifications appreciated, and most importantly thanks for 4.02, really enjoying it overall!

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

1 minute ago, Miska said:

It is the old "Auto rate family" renamed.

When grayed it is like "Auto rate family" disabled, but output rate set to "Auto", meaning that the requested rate is used unless filter requires something else.

When checked it is like "Auto rate family" enabled and output rate set to "Auto", in some cases it reduces processing load, mostly for single stage filters from PCM to DSD. However, since many DACs don't support 48k DSD (now there's a specific setting to enable those rates if DAC supports it), it may likely make playback fail for 48/96/192k source material.

Ah, makes sense now. Thanks.

5 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

HQPlayer 4 finally works for me. My hurdles:

- Input under Settings not deactivated
- Volume control hooked

The CPU load has been reduced by 5% -10% (PCM -> DSD 512). Bought! 😁

My settings:

spacer.png

Congrats., nice that you are geting DSD 512, I've been unable with similar settings. What platform / hardware are you running HQ Player 4.02 on?

12 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Thanks

I am using pure audio PC with 6 core CPU in turbo mode (3 GHz), Windows 10 Pro, Audiophile Optimizer and Fidelizer Pro. I got a very good suport from Miska, since at first it only went well with DSD 256. DSD 512 requires cores at a high speed.

spacer.png

Really, really nice setup! Question for you: Can you do DSD 512 with high res pcm source files? I find that cpu load goes up considerably when FLAC source is 24 / 96 or 24 / 192 versus Redbook 16 / 44.1 kHz. Is that inevitable or is there a way to mitigate it with settings? Jussi, please weigh in if possible. Appreciated!

59 minutes ago, elan120 said:

In my setup, I find running hi-res PCM source file (24/96 or 24/192) upsample to DSD512, my CPU load seem to stay around 33~36%, same as redbook, but I do have to uncheck the "Adaptive output rate".

image.png.4ab9071e81fb2a1dfe337805522756d0.png

image.png.cca00cad54d95f91dbeeb0ff4008582e.png

image.png.22737a0bffc024b4d8c0539a7abf834a.png

Thanks, that is helpful and Jussi also noted 44.1 --> 48k based multiples adds load. You have addressed that in your Bitrate setting of 48 x512. 2 brief add'l. questions:

1. With this setting any (-) impact on 44.1-based source material?

2. What is your GPU utilization in the setting / scenario above?

Thanks!

Really enjoying HQ Player 4.02 more as I learn how to optimize, but one bit of strange behaviour I can't correct: When I stop playback from client or even directly in server, HQP continues to use considerable cpu percentage, similar to if playback was occuring. To curtail that I've found I need to open, then close settings menu. That drops HQP cpu usage to zero, even if I  haven't changed any settings. A bit inconvenient and hoping there is a fix, whether in my usage or next release update from Jussi. Thoughts anyone?

10 hours ago, Miska said:

It (HQ Player 4.xx continuing to use CPU cycles after playback is stopped) happens on purpose, but it should stop doing that after some time.

Appreciate the answer, but not understanding why that is helpful. The negative, perhaps unintended, consequence is that it becomes additive, i.e. - if I stop playback, clear playlist and drop another file or files into desktop to playback, settings that normally run well at 20% CPU now use 40%, from the current and prior playback. Seems counterproductive....any way to mitigate?

Thanks, Jussi!

As I spend more time with it I am really warming to HQ Player 4.02. Still a few minor quirks I hope can be fixed:

1. Stopping playback does not stop the program from using CPU cycles just as if it were still playing
  2. Click-Selecting a track in Client playback list does not highlight it to confirm correct selection,  that only occurs after I hit play button.

But overall the much maligned GUI actually works for me, nice display of full-screen album art with settings to left and current playlist on right...simple, elegant and aesthetically pleasing except that long track names spill over onto the album art.

Most importantly, I am very impressed with the quality of sound I am hearing with my chain / ZMF Auteur (PCM to DSD256, poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s, DSD7 256+fs). Transparent, resolving and detailed but still musical and euphonic. My preferred genres of classical piano music, classic jazz and most other genres have never sounded better.

Audio memory is too transient for me to compare rigorously with HQ Player 3 but I do feel sound quality is a step better with 4. In any case my objective is the most enjoyment of music I can obtain without taking out a second mortgage, and HQ Player 4 is now at the center of that enjoyment. Amongst all the quibbles, including my own, a word of appreciation seemed in order. Thank you, Jussi.

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

What OS does this happen on? Because I have not seen such, it should stop in about 10 seconds after playback has stopped.

Windows 10 keeps CPU cycles engaged after stopping playback...definitely longer then 10 seconds although I've not timed it. 

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

Hmmh, this has been fixed in 4.0.2... If you are on Mac, did you remember to replace/update the client too?

Not Mac, Win 10...click-selecting a track in Client works but there is no visual highlight to confirm until play buttom pressed. Not a big deal but occasionally leads to wrong track playback started.

8 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Hi Miska,

A certain thing I miss in 4x is the window which made possible to set filters without opening preferences. Even not to set or change, just for the info during playback, to be aware what filters is set at the moment without stopping playback and opening preferences would be nice. I understand, you streamlined the outlook of the player, but this info was pretty useful. Thank you.

That information as well as a change settings menu is available in client.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

When you click a track in the playlist, playback is started immediately from that track and is also highlighted. Please check that client says it is version 4.0.2 in the splash screen when it is starting up...

Yes, I'm on 4.02. You're right about clicking track, it does highlight and initiate playback, it's just that it can take as long as 3-5 seconds to do so. I've determined that this takes longer with certain filters than others, not a big concern now that I've settled on poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s.

Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce the CPU load problem, not sure why it would happen for you. If the load is 100% on all cores, there's one component used in HQPlayer that could do that, but HQPlayer is already internally setting it's sleep timeout to one millisecond...

I'm on latest Windows feature update.

This doesn't happen on each playback --> stop event, and when it does I can clear the CPU load by entering settings menu from desktop then closing it. Strange. I'll see if I can pin down the specific scenarios in which it occurs then report back.

3 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Of course. My question to Miska was about possibility to return it to HQP desktop, for those who do not use/need Client.

Makes sense, apologies if I answered hastily before fully understanding your request.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Because size of the set is unbounded. Now the diving rate between 1x and Nx is 50 kHz.

HQPlayer is not limited to rates like 44.1k and 48k. It is equally fine to have a file at 123456 Hz sampling rate.

Related question: if one selects SDM bit rate / limit to 48 x256 but the DAC does not support 48k-base DSD rates, my assumption is HQ Player will send the DAC 48k-base that must then be converted to 44.1k base. if this is correct, is there any advantage to using this setting? Specifically, while this setting does seem to reduce CPU utilization for 48k, 96k and 192k files which is good, if it requires more processing by the DAC (conversion 48k to 44.1k for compatibility) would that additional processing by DAC partly negate taking purest advantage of HQ Players audio engine for best sound quality?

47 minutes ago, Miska said:

I'm not aware of any DAC that would do such conversion. So either they support 48k-base DSD, or they put out wrong audio or silence.

With 4.0.2 onwards, even if you select rate / limit of 48k x256, HQPlayer won't send that out unless you also tick the "48k DSD" check box. I added this to avoid somewhat common problems of falling back to unsupported rate with some filter choices or such.

Got it, and very helpful. I believe my DAC (Matrix X-Sabre Pro) does support 48k-based DSD. Do the screen captures below support that conclusion? Most importantly, playback sound quality with these settings is outstanding.

Snip 1.JPG

Snip 2.JPG

Clarification requested, please: When default output mode is set to SDM at 48 x256, and I initiate playback of a DSD64-DSF track, does the oversampling filter apply or just the modulator? I ask because if I've last played an Nx PCM track (Closed-Form-16M), DSD playback won't start unless I first manually switch filter to the 1x setting (ply-sinc-xtr-mp-2s). I really enjoy Closed-Form-16M with Nx PCM but I would think that when tracklist contains a different file type the switch to settings selected in settings dialogue would occur automatically. Guidance appreciated, my settings are below:

Capture.JPG

9 hours ago, Miska said:

...fixed now for next release...

Thank you!

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:23 AM, Miska said:

Only modulator applies, and some of the settings from "DSD Sources" dialog. So the PCM-to-SDM filter restrictions shouldn't apply. I'll check this case that it is not unnecessarily applying the PCM filter limits.

Which of the settings from the "DSD Sources" dialogue apply when playing a DSD source file with DirectSDM unchecked?

3 hours ago, Miska said:

I hope it is now quite clearly labeled, with "SDM Integrator" and "SDM Conversion".

Yes, it is, thank you for calling that out so clearly. Thanks for the clear explanation of wide versus narrow conversion. My limited understanding is that FIR integrator is linear phase whereas IIR is not, and that Cascade is a type of FIR filter.Any advice on which may preferred for classical, acoustic jazz, classic rock genres? I know  you are a pro and it's not possible to impart deep knowledge to those of us who are hobbyists, but in addition to listening experiments to select settings it is enriching to have your thoughts on the acoustical properties underlying these selections. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Overall difference in sonics should be pretty small, but it would be nice to hear opinions on what sounds good going from DSD64 to higher rates. I don't have a clear opinion myself. Technically, there's no simple answer.

Appreciated, and I've been unable to discern major differences as you note, will keep experimenting but stick with IIR as default setting..

2 hours ago, Miska said:

...if you are not sure your DAC really supports 48k-base DSD, don't enable that setting.

If that setting is disabled and DAC does not support 48-k base DSD but SDM setting in main dialogue for Bitrate (/ limit) is set to 48k x256, is the attached accurate that it is still sending SDM at 12.288M to the DAC? If so, does the Windows ASIO driver or DAC then process it further for compatibility?

Capture.JPG

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

That shouldn't happen if "48k DSD" is unchecked. It is very unlikely that ASIO driver would do anything. DAC could do something, but with DSD it is unlikely though. In some cases like Holo Spring 1, DAC will play audio with 48k-base DSD rates, but too slow because it is actually using 44.1k clock.

Got it. So if I get proper sound output with 48 x256 (I do) that evidences my DAC does support it, correct?

Jussi, my understanding is that HQ Player 4.03 Desktop has no specific MQA capabilities, so I assume the inclusion of poly-sinc-mqa filters is for those who output to an MQA capable DAC. My DAC is not, and I'm not very interested in MQA frankly, but I do have a few FLAC downloads with MQA encoding. 2 related playback questions:

1. Does HQ Player essentially ignore the MQA encoding and play the file at it's intrinsic bit rate / sampling rate (EG - 16/44.1)?

2. if so, is there any advantage to selecting the poly-sinc-MQA filters when playing these files output to a non-MQA DAC?

Thank you!