IGNORED

HQ Player

3 minutes ago, bogi said:

meant jPlay or mconnect on iOS via USB to input NAA and then of course LAN to HQPlayer Desktop.
Miska mentioned that way for Apple Music.

There is a bit of confusion … the right configuration is:

Apple Music on iPad -> usb -> rpi/NAA/input …..

JPlay is totally unuseful 

Stefano

My audio system

1 minute ago, stefano_mbp said:

There is a bit of confusion … the right configuration is:

Apple Music on iPad -> usb -> rpi/NAA/input …..

JPlay is totally unuseful 

Exactly what I meant by defeating the purpose of jplay iOS.

if I have to do physical usb connection with a source device then I can already just use my mini pc, run qobuz or amazon music app directly to a rpi NAA input, or use jriver for my local library and usb to NAA input 

3 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

In this configuration the UPNP renderer is missing

Hi Stefano, I'm nor iOS user, I just would like oo know:

1 hour ago, bogi said:

Can jPlay on iOS play Qobuz to headphones?

I meant directly connected headphones to iOS device. If yes, then it is able to render Qobuz. mConnect on Android is able, you can listen Qobuz from mConnect Player directly. As well as from BubbleUPnP on Android. I don't know about jPlay but it looks to me it should work the same. Or is there any difference?

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

I've noticed that certain filters' GPU utilization pattern with CUDA offload activated is fairly steady (EG - with 192 kHz FLAC output to SDM, poly-sinc-gauss-long stays constantly between 20-30%, poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp stays steady at 30-40%) whereas other filters have much wider swings (EG - Sinc-L may fluctuate over a few seconds time from 10% to 75% GPU utilization). In both scenarios playback is stutter free and GPU temps stay reasonable at 60 - 62%, albeit with GPU fans active more often with Sinc-L. Is this a consequential difference for the GPU in terms of it's performance, health, longevity etc...or just an incidental and unimportant curiosity related to filter design? Running HQPlayer Desktop 5.51. My GPU is EVGA GeForce RTX 3080, 10 GB version. Thanks for any help understanding this CUDA-GPU behavior with different filters and whether it is consequential or not. Always trying to learn!

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

3 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Yes jplay iOS can play music directly to my iphone

Then if it's possible to play its output bitperfect to USB connected input NAA device, you don't need an extra UPnP renderer mini computer.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
1 minute ago, bogi said:

Then if it's possible to play its output bitperfect to USB connected input NAA device, you don't need an extra UPnP renderer mini computer.

I don’t think so, I think jplay can play music to my iPhone because in this case my iPhone is a upnp renderer playing music to the iPhone speaker or headphones. You will still need a upnp renderer.

But if I can set my NAA input device (rpi4 or rpi5) also as a upnp renderer then I won’t need the extra mini pc

11 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Yes, it works the same way … but with Tidal/Qobuz/local library only … Apple Music is out of the game …

For Apple Music you would need to use Apple app on iOS of course. So not one app for all. I don't know if that's ever possible, since I didn't find Apple Music streaming integrated in any third party apps. But it may become possible in future, since Apple published API for that last year.

7 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

jplay can play music to my iPhone

I'm confused by your formulation (and some weeks ago I was too in other topic).

Is jPlay running on your iPhone?

4 minutes ago, bogi said:

I'm confused by your formulation (and some weeks ago I was too in other topic).

Is jPlay running on your iPhone?

Yes I have jplay iOS installed on my iPhone. So I can browse qobuz or local library music within jplay iOS and I can select jplay iOS to play music to any dlna/upnp devices in the network including my iPhone 

19 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

I can select jplay iOS to play music to any dlna/upnp devices in the network including my iPhone 

Then solely for Qobuz or anything other playable on your iPhone you don't need an extra UPnP Renderer to get it into HQPlayer. That was my point.

EDIT: You could install an additional UPnP Media Server app on input NAA like Rpi4 for purpose of local library access from jPlay running on your iPhone. I found for example this minidlna suggestion: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/118451/howto-install-upnp-dlna-media-server

Wow, I just had the chance to upgrade HQP 5.50 and NAA OS to 5.00 and I am blown away by the sound quality! The clarity, resolution, and presence of the soundstage are simply amazing. I even noticed a higher loading on the server - from 44.1k to DSD256 - but unfortunately, I experienced some occasional pauses or stuttering with Sine L. This never happened with the previous version, 5.41 and NAA OS 4.61, but regardless, I am absolutely loving what I am hearing. Thank you so much, Jussi, for continuing to improve this incredible technology!👍👍👍

4 hours ago, bogi said:

Then solely for Qobuz or anything other playable on your iPhone you don't need an extra UPnP Renderer to get it into HQPlayer. That was my point.

EDIT: You could install an additional UPnP Media Server app on input NAA like Rpi4 for purpose of local library access from jPlay running on your iPhone. I found for example this minidlna suggestion: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/118451/howto-install-upnp-dlna-media-server

Nothing “wrong” with your point except I already indicated it’s not a possibility for my practical use to lose the remote capability. I am not going to physically connect an iPad or iPhone to a input NAA to my hqp desktop pc and get my bum up and walk two floors up to change a track.

i am aware I can simply attach an iPhone or iPad or a minipc to a NAA input and skip jplay altogether but that defeats the purpose of the remote capability 

For practical use, I need a upnp renderer and ideally if I can set my input NAA as a upnp renderer (question for Miska) also then I can get rid of a mini pc in the chain. 

I am aware I can set up a upnp media server with the input NAA but that’s not the point.

There’s nothing “wrong” with my current setup other than involving an extra mini pc as upnp renderer.

it’s a compromise I have to take for the convenience factor. No different than Roon users having to take a hit on inferior sound quality using that with Hqplayer as the player 

@dericchan1 I understood. I had no idea about your restrictions given by devices location. USB cable plugged into phone also makes its operation less convenient. Thanks for explanation.

3 hours ago, dericchan1 said:

if I can set my input NAA as a upnp renderer

The only thing I can imagine would be to use 2 USB ports with different setup (one traditional master and one slave for NAA input) and to set up USB loopback between them. So media renderer output would play into NAA input. @Miska, what do you think?

50 minutes ago, bogi said:

The only thing I can imagine would be to use 2 USB ports with different setup (one traditional master and one slave for NAA input) and to set up USB loopback between them. So media renderer output would play into NAA input. @Miska, what do you think?

Which I thought the NAA input is sort of already doing that, as soon as I connect the NAA input otg usb out to my Hqplayer desktop pc. The UPNP media renderer PC (my mini PC) detects "Hqplayer" as the default wasapi device for the media renderer PC. 

40 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Which I thought the NAA input is sort of already doing that

I called it loopback because I meant to have both Media Renderer and NAA on the same mini computer capable of slave USB role for audio input. For example Pi4. One Pi4 port configured as NAA input (device side slave port) and 2nd USB port of the same Pi4 left in usual role (computer side master port). So Media Renderer would play into the master port and NAA would read from the slave port. What you need then is to connect those ports with a cable. It should work like between 2 different computers.

Other question is what would be a suitable lightweight UPnP Renderer software for Linux. That's not my area of experience.

2 minutes ago, bogi said:

I called it loopback because I meant to have both Media Renderer and NAA on the same mini computer capable of slave USB role for audio input. For example Pi4. One Pi4 port configured as NAA input (device side slave port) and 2nd USB port of the same Pi4 left in usual role (computer side master port). So Media Renderer would play into the master port and NAA would read from the slave port. What you need then is to connect those ports with a cable. It should work like between 2 different computers.

Other question is what would be a suitable lightweight UPnP Renderer software for Linux. That's not my area of experience.

I see your point. Interesting indeed.

There are a number of options for UPNP renderer in linux/bookworm, and it does not really have to be light weight to be honest - even jriver, kodi, plex can be run on bookworm with a RPI4.

9 minutes ago, Jud said:

What manufacturers (and I) use is upmpdcli. Absolute cast iron reliability, and adheres to standards so it works with anything. Probably the lightest weight renderer you can get.

Setting up a headless Raspberry Pi as a Music Player Daemon server (lesbonscomptes.com) Found this re: setting up upmpdcli on Raspian. Will give that a try. 

Wonder how you incorporate upmpdcli in your particular HQP set up?

7 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Setting up a headless Raspberry Pi as a Music Player Daemon server (lesbonscomptes.com) Found this re: setting up upmpdcli on Raspian. Will give that a try. 

Wonder how you incorporate upmpdcli in your particular HQP set up?

I have the office computer running HQPe, and a Fitlet3 in the listening room with both networkaudiod and upmpdcli installed, which is connected to my DAC. I can then use any one of a number of iOS apps as a remote - mConnect, Linn, or Lumin. (I chose not to purchase JPlay, but that can be used as well.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

17 minutes ago, Jud said:

I have the office computer running HQPe, and a Fitlet3 in the listening room with both networkaudiod and upmpdcli installed, which is connected to my DAC. I can then use any one of a number of iOS apps as a remote - mConnect, Linn, or Lumin. (I chose not to purchase JPlay, but that can be used as well.)

Then you have two UPnP renderers available, one in HQPe and the other one in Fitlet3. I don't understand your usage scenario for upmpdcli on Fitlet3. Probably for use without HQPlayer.