IGNORED

Best PC UPNP software streaming setup?

Thanks, Cebolla, I had a feeling you'd be able to answer this for me. I'll give it a try.

Hoping that Lumin lets me use AlbumArtist instead of Artist as primary sort key in album view like their static screenshots imply. Another thread raised some questions implying it only sorts by Artist even though the onscreen labeling denotes AlbumArtist.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

So same question as the OP except for Mac instead of PC...

I've got all my music files on a sparkly new Synology DS415+ connected with Blue Jean Cat6A to Asus router and Mac Mini. Been using Mac/A+ but planning my next move to eliminate Mac/A+ with either a Sonore microRendu when available or a Linux box solution.

So I would like to try out some of the available control point software (e.g. Lumin on my ipad and BubbleUpnP on my Android) so that my renderer hardware decision leads me to a user GUI experience that I will be happy with. Can I setup both Minimserver and BubbleUpnP Server on the Synology now and test the controls apps before making a hardware change with the MacMini serving as the renderer(using Mac's Ethernet input and USB output)? What software/setup would I need to do on the Mac to allow it pass the files from the Synology to my DAC?

Please be gently as I've got no experience with server setup, UPnP, DLNA etc, and am learning on the fly here. This thread seemed closest to what I'm asking. Thanks!

Here's a few screen shots of BubbleUPnP Server and Bluestacks Android Emulator in action:

BubbleDS.jpg

This is on Windows 7, but they should be readily available for Mac as well.

I started with the one size fits all approach of BubbleUPnP/DLNA and found configuring it to be overly complex and more than I needed. I soon found it's companion BubbleDS Next, which is Open Home exclusively; no DLNA. Much simpler to configure as it's focused on audio formats for the Linn DS and other renderers.

It's exactly what I require, as it easily finds my Foobar2000 media server and Denon AVR-3313 renderer. It should also work well with Marantz kit as they are both designed and built by the same company, D and M Holdings.

My AV room where all my kit are located is in another room in the house and has it's own separate VLAN on my Cisco managed switch and runs 1000-base-T cat 6 ethernet backbone from my office. From there it's connected via a 1000-base-T unmanaged switch in AV room to each bit of kit.

Sound quality is superb and Open Home even provides for gapless playback. Something that DLNA doesn't do.

UPnPserver1.jpg

UPnPserver2.jpg

So I have successfully installed Java, Minimserver & Bubble UPnP Server on my Synology NAS, Openhome Player on my MacMini, MinimWatch on my Macbook and the following control points on my iPad Mini: Linn Kazoo, Linn Kinsky, Lumin, Lightning DS. Also installed Android Bubble UPnP and Bubble DS Next on my Galaxy Note4, which is ironically almost as large as the iPad Mini.

The good news is that I have had success using both Kazoo and Lumin as controllers and while both work fine, IMHO Lumin is a much better experience. Kinsky appears very limited compared to Kazoo in functionality, so I abandoned it quickly.

When it comes to Lightning DS, I haven't been able to get it to see any "Aries" device during setup. The Synology music library is viewable, but no device. Thought I read here that Lightning DS is OpenHome compatible, so I thought I'd be able to have the MacMini visible as a player when OpenHome Player is running on the MacMini. Any ideas on how to make it visible to the Lightning DS setup process?

FYI, when I first tried Lumin with only Minimserver running on the NAS (without Bubble UPnP Server helping) Lumin didn't work, but after running it, everything is fine. Thought that since Lumin app is OpenHome that Bubble UPnP Server would not be necessary. Do I have something wrong in setup parameters?

Using OpenHome Player with both Lumin and Kazoo 24/192 FLAC files have trouble with the music playing through but being accompanied by intermittent bursts of low frequency static sounding like the Mac had a bad burrito for lunch (No such noise with same files when played using A+ from the same MacMini). OpenHome Player also trips up on same playlists when bitdepth & sampling rate change, requiring a restart. Since OpenHome Player is just a temporary testing utility for me, not too concerned, but thought others

might benefit if they run into the same.

The big takeaway for me here is that Lumin is a great app and I will be happy to make it my main control point if I choose the Sonic Orbiter SE or microRendu as my new renderer. Pretty exciting stuff!

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

• 5 weeks later...

Setup: Synology DS212j / DSM 6.0-7321 with MinimServer 0.8.3 (and Java SE Embedded 9) BubbleUPnP 2.62 on Android feeding into a PSAudio DSD w Bridge I

No issues with browsing FLAC and DSD files but DSD files simply wont play on the PSA (The art work shows up). Transcoding disabled. No issues with FLAC , MP3 files.

Called Synology support: not much help. Asked to reindex media, nothing changed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, pointers!

All --

I also could use some help. I want to be able to play internet radio but not sure how to make it happen.

Setup:

NAS: Synology DS214 running Minimserver and BubbleUPNP; music also stored to this location

Renderer: CAPS v3 running Foobar2000 on Win10

Control Point: iPad running Kazoo and Lumin (both work well); desktop PC running Kazoo (when I don't want to deal with the iPad)

Playing music library and Tidal is great -- no issues whatsover. I just can't figure out how to incorporate internet radio.

Thoughts, please!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
Setup: Synology DS212j / DSM 6.0-7321 with MinimServer 0.8.3 (and Java SE Embedded 9) BubbleUPnP 2.62 on Android feeding into a PSAudio DSD w Bridge I

No issues with browsing FLAC and DSD files but DSD files simply wont play on the PSA (The art work shows up). Transcoding disabled. No issues with FLAC , MP3 files.

Called Synology support: not much help. Asked to reindex media, nothing changed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, pointers!

Doesn't the PSAudio DirectStream DAC require you to play DoP files rather than native DSD files with the Bridge? So you need make sure that MinimServer's optional MinimStreamer transcoder module is installed and set it to transcode DSD files to DoP:

User guide

Also, don't forget that the Bridge only supports single rate DSD files (as DoP).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

All --

I also could use some help. I want to be able to play internet radio but not sure how to make it happen.

Setup:

NAS: Synology DS214 running Minimserver and BubbleUPNP; music also stored to this location

Renderer: CAPS v3 running Foobar2000 on Win10

Control Point: iPad running Kazoo and Lumin (both work well); desktop PC running Kazoo (when I don't want to deal with the iPad)

Playing music library and Tidal is great -- no issues whatsover. I just can't figure out how to incorporate internet radio.

Thoughts, please!

If you know the internet radio stations URLs, you could use MinimServer's playlists function to setup and provide access to them, with an option to route the streams through MinimStreamer transcoder module if transcoding is required:

Your music library

User guide

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

If you know the internet radio stations URLs, you could use MinimServer's playlists function to setup and provide access to them, with an option to route the streams through MinimStreamer transcoder module if transcoding is required:

Your music library

User guide

cebolla,

thanks a bunch. after writing the post, i figured out i needed minimstreamer and got it installed. i'm having trouble with the station urls, though. the url's from the sample file on minimserver's site don't seem to work (at least for me). i was able to find one good url, but it's obviously a challenge.

does anyone have a good sample of urls that can be used in minimstreamer?

thanks!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
So I have successfully installed Java, Minimserver & Bubble UPnP Server on my Synology NAS, Openhome Player on my MacMini, MinimWatch on my Macbook and the following control points on my iPad Mini: Linn Kazoo, Linn Kinsky, Lumin, Lightning DS. Also installed Android Bubble UPnP and Bubble DS Next on my Galaxy Note4, which is ironically almost as large as the iPad Mini.

The good news is that I have had success using both Kazoo and Lumin as controllers and while both work fine, IMHO Lumin is a much better experience. Kinsky appears very limited compared to Kazoo in functionality, so I abandoned it quickly.

When it comes to Lightning DS, I haven't been able to get it to see any "Aries" device during setup. The Synology music library is viewable, but no device. Thought I read here that Lightning DS is OpenHome compatible, so I thought I'd be able to have the MacMini visible as a player when OpenHome Player is running on the MacMini. Any ideas on how to make it visible to the Lightning DS setup process?

FYI, when I first tried Lumin with only Minimserver running on the NAS (without Bubble UPnP Server helping) Lumin didn't work, but after running it, everything is fine. Thought that since Lumin app is OpenHome that Bubble UPnP Server would not be necessary. Do I have something wrong in setup parameters?

Using OpenHome Player with both Lumin and Kazoo 24/192 FLAC files have trouble with the music playing through but being accompanied by intermittent bursts of low frequency static sounding like the Mac had a bad burrito for lunch (No such noise with same files when played using A+ from the same MacMini). OpenHome Player also trips up on same playlists when bitdepth & sampling rate change, requiring a restart. Since OpenHome Player is just a temporary testing utility for me, not too concerned, but thought others

might benefit if they run into the same.

The big takeaway for me here is that Lumin is a great app and I will be happy to make it my main control point if I choose the Sonic Orbiter SE or microRendu as my new renderer. Pretty exciting stuff!

Lightning DS works only with Aries streamer, proprietary product

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

cebolla,

thanks a bunch. after writing the post, i figured out i needed minimstreamer and got it installed. i'm having trouble with the station urls, though. the url's from the sample file on minimserver's site don't seem to work (at least for me). i was able to find one good url, but it's obviously a challenge.

does anyone have a good sample of urls that can be used in minimstreamer?

thanks!

okay, have found that PublicRadioFan.com is the best place to get streaming urls. i was looking for npr stations and have gotten vermont public radio and vpr classical working. still working on the mystery of what works, what doesn't, and why . . .

Doesn't the PSAudio DirectStream DAC require you to play DoP files rather than native DSD files with the Bridge? So you need make sure that MinimServer's optional MinimStreamer transcoder module is installed and set it to transcode DSD files to DoP:

User guide

Also, don't forget that the Bridge only supports single rate DSD files (as DoP).

Sorry for my post as I simply didnt take (enough time) to read the MinimServer manual. I was aware about the Bridge' s limitation and may revert to use the PC /foobar2000 via USB for double-rate files but prefer the SQ of the current setup for redbook and hirez FLAC files.

It works like a charm after installing the MinimStreamer module and setting the dopwav parameter.

Thanks Cebolla!

• 1 month later...

Very excited about this info and specifically Cebolla's recommendations. Thanks for sticking with the thread folks.

Other than getting my QNAP (with Twonky media server), Android control point (bubbleupnp or Foorbar) and Windows PC renderer to work together, (foobar) I also would really like volume normalization across tracks - #1 on the wish list. I listen to old stuff and new stuff (ARS "So into you" then onto Bryan Adams "Kiss and Say Goodbye") and the volume jump between tracks literally makes my guests jump! I'm hoping windows can normalize for me vs getting into the whole replay gain business scanning all my tracks and setting a norm - which never really worked. However, finding a windows renderer without issues has been a challenge for me and Google.

I have also as a renderer used; Volumino, RuneAudio (both on Pi), and kodi (frodo - due to Win XP) - with no satisfying results. Not looking for hifi, just a workable solution for the backyard poolside.

• 7 months later...

Lots of good information in this somewhat old/dormant thread, I thought I'd add my recent happiness with running AssetUPnP on Raspberry Pi.

After seeing the R5.1 update available for Asset on my Mac mini, I decided to have a go with installing the Raspberry Pi version on an RPi3b board running Raspbian Jessie.

I absolutely love it! This allows me to shut down my Mac mini at night or whenever, or run Software Update on the Mac, or use a CPU intensive application there, while offloading the music server function to the Raspberry Pi.

In nearly 3 weeks of use, the RPi3 running AssetUPnP R5.1 has been flawless, streaming all PCM sample rates to 352.8kHz (I have no 384kHz files to test), as well as DSD64 (I have no DSD128 files to test) to either the Sonore microRendu, or RPi3 MoodePlayer renderers.

BubbleUPnP and Linn Kazoo on Android, or mConnect and 8Player on iOS have been great control point apps, with my preference being BubbleUPnP on a Moto X Pure Edition Android phone.

The Raspberry Pi3b running AssetUPnP is an excellent cheap, green, small footprint server, just add a HDD storage device and you're in business.

Here is a picture of my RPi3 running AssetUPnP installed near my ceiling mounted Apple router:

P1140916.jpg

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group