IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

Hi Joaquin, sorry to hear you are yet another victim of the Gracenote unavailability problem. I don't have an answer to your question, and I'm not sure its even possible, maybe someone on here with better technical know-how can advise. Have you contacted Sony with regard to the Gracenote problem? The more people who complain, the more likely they will take action to resolve the issue. (see my post #519)

Regards

Mike

I was having the exact same problem from the first day. Sony here in Greece told me to do factory reset to the player. That solved me the problem when it comes to stability, losing me library ,but didn't solve the connectivity problem with gracenote. They continuing to try to solve my (our) problem to asking me for details about the error. In another conversation someone said that he contacted Sony and the Sony said to him that they aware of the problem. Let's hope for the best.

I think my problem has to do with the new firmware. Before I could see a "?" sign on the screen when the unit couldn't connect or couldn't find information about some music on the gracenote server. Now that sign does not appear when it is connected to Internet and it keeps showing the updating graphic until the unit becomes unresponsive. It doesn't become unresponsive if I am not connected to Internet and keeps playing music uninterrupted. I don't think a factory reset would solve this behavior if it keeps the same firmware.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I think my problem has to do with the new firmware. Before I could see a "?" sign on the screen when the unit couldn't connect or couldn't find information about some music on the gracenote server. Now that sign does not appear when it is connected to Internet and it keeps showing the updating graphic until the unit becomes unresponsive. It doesn't become unresponsive if I am not connected to Internet and keeps playing music uninterrupted. I don't think a factory reset would solve this behavior if it keeps the same firmware.

Mine did solve the problem. Now it's trying to update the albums in some does it in some others doesn't and after a little while i am getting the '?' sign with internet connection always on. And that's it without any problem of unresponsiveness. But as you said and you are right it is a bug of the new firmware.

I ripped my first CD since the "no gracenote" event and successfully transferred it to the sony. It's in the database OK, probably because I have been using dbPowerbase as the ripping program, and all the important fields are properly filled out. I'm left with the little ? on the screen, indicating that the Sony didn't connect with the server. I probably can live with that, but will soon try my hand at submitting a complaint to Sony support. I imagine the majority of HAP-Z1ES users have their music transferred before this outage, and may not notice the problem until they decide to add or edit another file---and maybe the complaints will increase.

Moments ago, using U.S. Sony's form for support, I sent the following:

HAP-Z1ES can not connect to Gracenote server since date of firmware update 15261R, 6/30/15. Attempts to select "Get music info" result in an error code such as "Error 34800--cannot connect to remote server." Transferring music files to the unit are successful, but result in a persistent "?" symbol on the unit's display. My unit has a WIRED connection to router and internet. Help please. Other users have this problem!

Stay tuned for a definitive answer :)

Following is the response I just received from Sony--probably more encouraging than response to Mike ?

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for contacting Sony video and sound Support.

We hope you are doing well.

We regret for the inconvenience caused.

We are sorry to inform you that there is an issue with the Gracenotes from our end and our Engineers are working on it and it will be resolved as soon as possible.

Please feel free to get back to us for further assistance if you face any difficulty.

If you would like to be the first to know about our latest products and receive exclusive offers, please sign up for our newsletter:

https://subscribe.sel.sony.com

Thank you for choosing Sony.

Best regards,

Axel

C60K

The Sony video and sound Email Response Team.

Hi. Can anyone here able to confirm if the Z1ES able to recognise multiple genres tagging. ie if a CD contained multiple genres tagging than this CD will be listed across multiple genres on the HAP remote app Genres tab. This might be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks in advance

Following is the response I just received from Sony--probably more encouraging than response to Mike ?

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for contacting Sony video and sound Support.

We hope you are doing well.

We regret for the inconvenience caused.

We are sorry to inform you that there is an issue with the Gracenotes from our end and our Engineers are working on it and it will be resolved as soon as possible.

Please feel free to get back to us for further assistance if you face any difficulty.

If you would like to be the first to know about our latest products and receive exclusive offers, please sign up for our newsletter:

https://subscribe.sel.sony.com

Thank you for choosing Sony.

Best regards,

Axel

C60K

The Sony video and sound Email Response Team.

Art,

I thought I would check out the Gracenote side of the story, and here is the reply I got from my email to them :

Hi Mike,

We have researched this issue with our Sony counterparts and have found the problem is on the Sony side.

Our understanding is Sony is currently working to fix the problem. Please write to Sony, the company that built your device for support.

https://esupport.sony.com/

I hope that there is a quick resolution to this issue.

Sincerely,

Sonia

Gracenote Support

Gracenote, Inc.

Just picked up this from the guys on Audio Circle:

Hi-Rez Highway

Looks like the problem has been solved!!

Have not yet tried adding new files, but everything else seems to be working so far and no sign of the "?" or database updating symbol.

Phew !! I'll put the box back in the loft now.

Hope everyone else has same result, and thanks to all those that contributed to this thread.

Cheers

Mike

Hi-Rez Highway

Have not yet tried adding new files, but everything else seems to be working so far and no sign of the "?" or database updating symbol.

Hope everyone else has same result, and thanks to all those that contributed to this thread.

Cheers

Mike

Looks like the problem was solved. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi-Rez Highway

Cheers

Mike

Do the SenseMe channels work for you? All of the categories on my players are still 0 so SenseMe is still not working for me. Perhaps these are separate problems.

bwillcox - Yes SenseMe working OK for me. Looks like you have another issue. For what its worth, the fix to the Gracenote problem did not involve a firmware update - it just started working again, so presumably Sony fixed this as a single issue. Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Mike

bwillcox - Yes SenseMe working OK for me. Looks like you have another issue. For what its worth, the fix to the Gracenote problem did not involve a firmware update - it just started working again, so presumably Sony fixed this as a single issue. Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Mike

Well, I think I'll try updating the database on one of my units and see if it does the SenseMe categorizations. Maybe that will fix it for me.

Do the SenseMe channels work for you? All of the categories on my players are still 0 so SenseMe is still not working for me. Perhaps these are separate problems.

From my experience, rescan database will help!

Btw, I love this feature. It's allow me to explore all my collections! :)

And, I transferred the albums directly from computer via wired; rescan database, then I listen to it. I.E. no interruption during the process. No problem so far.

However, not all tracks were cataloged by SenseMe channel feature.

From my experience, rescan database will help!

Btw, I love this feature. It's allow me to explore all my collections! :)

And, I transferred the albums directly from computer via wired; rescan database, then I listen to it. I.E. no interruption during the process. No problem so far.

However, not all tracks were cataloged by SenseMe channel feature.

My player has categorized most of the tracks now after running the rescan. I can see this from the front panel but using my tablet and the Android Sony app it still shows all of the channels with 0 as a count. I'm thinking that I will need to restart the app and that might refresh the counts, just haven't had a chance to do that yet.

My player has categorized most of the tracks now after running the rescan. I can see this from the front panel but using my tablet and the Android Sony app it still shows all of the channels with 0 as a count. I'm thinking that I will need to restart the app and that might refresh the counts, just haven't had a chance to do that yet.

Yep, restarting my tablet (I power cycled it) fixed my SenseMe channel problem. Tracks are now showing up in them again.

Yes, and recommended, as it is for every piece of gear. There are many great choices. One recommendation, which I think is good for the money is the JPS Labs Kaptovator Lite. I have both a PS Audio P3 Powerplant using that cable and also a Kaptovator Lite on the HAPZ1ES. The quality of interconnects will also make noticeable difference. I sometimes wonder if people who knock quality of the HAPZ1ES would still harbor the same reservations if they had used better cabling throughout the system. There will always be those who discount cabling, but for those who are open to trying it before drawing a conclusion, let me suggest that I've heard improvements in the HAPZ1ES front end by improving cabling each time I've replaced cabling, be it power cables, or interconnects, or speaker wire. You may not want to spend more money than the HAPZ1ES costs on a particular cable, but in fairness to the HAPZ1ES, you don't really know what the unit is capable of without investigating cabling does to the end result. And if you are not listening through headphones, the same could be said about the acoustic properties of one's listening room. I think all too often, otherwise well meaning and sincere folks rush to judgement on a particular piece of gear, like the HAPZ1ES because they have no understanding of what the room and other associated equipment (including cabling) is doing to the sound. Again, you may not desire to spend the money, and I understand that, but in fairness to the HAPZ1ES, I have to say that it's quite possible that many detractors would have different opinions of the unit if they really had auditioned it under better circumstances. And, of course, that also includes the source material. Really well recorded (engineered) albums are a must, and not every High Res recording, even native DSD, always makes the grade.

Forgive me for wandering off topic just a little, so that I can add one final footnote here. If there is one irksome thing about Sony that I do find annoying me, it's not the HAPZ1ES unit itself, but the simple fact that over a year has gone by without Sony making more of its catalog available in DSD. It's quite shameful that Sony proclaimed that the new age of DSD high resolution has arrived, and then failed to do much to release any of its huge catalog, much of which has been archived in DSD already. It's quite a testament, I think, to the incompetence of Sony's management team that they introduced yet another great product, and then failed to do much to promote it properly. I think it will survive on its own merits, but Sony certainly needs people working for them with more foresight then the folks who are working for them now.

There are not many detractors of the Sony. It's an amazing sounding piece of gear, with and without uber expensive cabling.

Yep, I agree. And I got my XLR cables from monoprice. As for power cords...well, I doubt that anyone can hear the difference between power cords in a controlled blind A/B comparison (so long as the power cords are capable of carrying sufficient power).

If you read my post, you will note that I am not a detractor, but someone who thinks the HAP-Z1ES is an amazingly great piece of gear, and I have a lot of master tapes made on both Stereo Nagra and Revox and Studer with which I have recorded live folk, bluegrass, jazz, and classical violin with some of the world's best microphones. My point is that those who quickly evaluated the HAP-Z1ES, and stated that it is not an exceptional have, more likely than not, weak links in their playback system that prevent those folks from appreciating its musicality, resolution and sound stage. You can hear that it is a good playback device with good equipment. But, sorry, it is impossible to hear exceptional it is if your associated gear and cabling is not also exceptional. I'm not saying you won't like it, but I am saying you can't fully appreciate it. Personally, I wouldn't have expected cabling to make such a difference, and it's a mixed bag that it does: good that it can further improve the SQ and regrettably because the cost of great cabling requires the additional and enormous expense.

I think it's impossible to convince anyone who maintains that cabling can make a difference, be it power cables or interconnects. I have seen people reverse their opinions who have been loaned cabling by shops that say "Just take it home and try it." But otherwise, I think it's useless to argue. I have been around for awhile, and have heard all the arguments pro and con, and know about the A/B controlled blind test arguments which even say that people can't hear the difference between amplifiers (Alan Shaw being one of the most learned and articulate proponents of that argument). But folks, in many cases, one can even hear the difference between two amplifiers of the same make and model (in 1976 I compared two Audio Research D-79s that were both made in the same year, and purchased at the same time, and everyone that listened to that test preferred the same amp over the other one). Look, I'm not trying to be a troublemaker. And I'm not trying to convince you to buy more expensive cabling. I'm just saying that but I've found that even staunch skeptics reverse their opinion if they own good equipment, have a decent room, and take their time to evaluate (and even if they haven't yet purchased the cable they are evaluating ... and even when they WANT to hate the more expensive cable they are evaluating).

Please, enjoy what you currently have. If you do enjoy what you have, good for you! I mean that. Not everyone with audio gear enjoys what they have. It seems almost like that the more some people spend on gear, the less they are able to sit back and enjoy the music they listen to, which is a terrible shame.

But I think it's not really appropriate to tell others that cabling and power cords don't make a difference, especially if you haven't spent some time evaluating cabling. It's all very well good to say that I bought some good balanced XLR cable and the HAPZ1ES sound great with that. I accept that. But that does not mean that one won't find an improvement in sound with another cable.

All I was trying to say that in regard to the HAP-Z1ES, is that as good as it was with decent cabling, it was even better with great cabling. And, I'm not trying to market any particular type of cabling. I mentioned the brand of power cabling because someone asked for a recommendation. But notice, I've steered away from mentioning the brand of balanced XLR cables that I feel added a further degree of realism when connecting my Sony to my preamp. Furthermore, I'm not saying it wouldn't sound good with monoprice or any other good balanced XLR cable connected to a good preamp (provided there was other associated good gear, and the music was played back in a room with reasonably good acoustics. Of course it would! The HAP-Z1ES is very musical, way better than the $3k SACD player I own. I use it all the time, and am very glad I bought it. I was glad I bought it even before I upgraded my cabling. All I am saying is that it sounds even better in my system with upgraded cabling. I don't expect anyone to believe me just for by saying that, and actually, I would expect anyone who doesn't think cabling can make an audible difference to bring up all the usual arguments to logically argue against it. This is an audio FORUM, after all, and I would certainly expect that to happen if it was going to happen anywhere! :)

I don't doubt you. I believe a well conditioned room is very important if you listen with speakers. In my case I chose the headphone way for convenience /life style and I wanted to get the most enjoyable system I could afford . I use an Auralic Taurus amplifier, Audeze Lcd2 and the Sony with Supra Cabling (200€ total for XLR and Power Cable) . Before settling with this system I tried all kinds of combinations of Dacs / Sources in the 1000/5000€ including the Vega, Naim, Aurender, Bryston, etc. I knew I didn't need to think about changing the amplifier so I concentrated in the source /dac.

I was using an Astell & Kern 240 at the time. A expensive portable player but not a contender to the Sony when doing critical listening and also far more finicky. After a few weeks of trying different combinations in my 'place' (this is important) I chose the Sony HAP-Z1ES for a combination of sound quality + convenience + price that was far ahead of the competition. If I wanted to get something similar in sound 'enjoyment' I could have chosen the Auralic Vega + Aurender N100 plus interconnects for 3 times the price of the Sony or use the Auralic Vega with a dedicated Windows

Server 2012 R2 system and Hqplayer. They all sound VERY VERY good. So I chose the Sony.

• 1 month later...