IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

Any word from Sony about adding Tidal streaming to the Z1ES? This is the only thing holding me back.

Plasmatico, don't hold your breath. Sony has their own Music Unlimited streaming service, so it would be risky if they took on another's. Despite the fact that Sony does not include Music Unlimited in the HAPZ1ES!

If you have 19000 of your most favorite songs, this player is a winner!

Plasmatico, don't hold your breath. Sony has their own Music Unlimited streaming service, so it would be risky if they took on another's. Despite the fact that Sony does not include Music Unlimited in the HAPZ1ES!

If you have 19000 of your most favorite songs, this player is a winner!

I know, I like everything I've read about it, but I also like Tidal and without it the HAP is not an option for me. Bummer big time!

• 1 month later...

Looking for a bit of help if anyone can provide it. I've lot the transferred files log on my computer as my hard drive crashed (not on the HAP Z1, rather my laptop).

Now when I go to transfer files it's attempting to re-transfer all 7000 titles. I know I could reset my HAPZ1 harddrive and just start over, but is there a way to re-create the transferred files log? Or, simply avoid transferring all files? It's looking for new files, and without the log it appears that it simply wants to move everything again.

Thanks.

You might try creating a new folder on your PC for your new music that is not yet on your Z1ES, and only point the software to copy that directory structure. Then going forward as you add new music under that directory it should also get transferred.

That would work I suspect. I use I tunes, wonder if I can create a second folder for that though? (I just use ALAC across the board).

Looking for a bit of help if anyone can provide it. I've lot the transferred files log on my computer as my hard drive crashed (not on the HAP Z1, rather my laptop).

Now when I go to transfer files it's attempting to re-transfer all 7000 titles. I know I could reset my HAPZ1 harddrive and just start over, but is there a way to re-create the transferred files log? Or, simply avoid transferring all files? It's looking for new files, and without the log it appears that it simply wants to move everything again.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, when using the HAP software to control a whole library automatically the log file is necessary for it to keep track of what is synchronized. It works pretty well to synchronize a whole library. With my setup, I didn't want it to synchronize everything, so used the manual transfer setting at first then just started dragging and dropping files over the network without using the HAP software. In the short run, if all you want to do is transfer new files I'd recommend doing that manually either within HAP or within the network folder structure. If however you want full synchronization and automatic transfers and updates as you change things in your laptop's file structure the only way I know of is to let the Z1ES rebuild the log file.

Hello all - yet another happy owner of a Z1ES here.

I have a problem that I have not yet seen addressed anywhere: I'd like to export my list of music favorites, or sync it somehow. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Oops

I heard it's the ghosts of Salming and Sundin that were upset about not using an SSD -

Swedish Super Disk! ;)

On a more serious note, have you tried to re-scan your library?

25k objects is not really a lot but it seems might be a lot more than they had in their use case when designing the product, i.e. typical SW bug where a buffer or an array is limited to a fix number and it was to small.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the HAP-Z1ES and its iPad app can show Chinese characters? .

Yes to both.

JM

Nearfield Desk System: PC with JRiver MC > Sonore microRendu > Schiit Gungnir USB DAC > 6AH4 Linestage > 6CB5A Amp  >Dave's Cables > Omega Super 3 Desktop Speakers on 1-3/4" Maple Butcher Block Table

My "Living Room" System: Sony HAP-Z1ES Player, 2 Pass Labs XA60.5 (Mids/Lows), Pass Labs XA30.5 Amp (Highs), First Watt B4 & B5 Crossovers, Nuforce MCP-18 Preamp, Oppo BDP-103D Video Player, Parasound 275v2 Amp (Center), Parasound 275v2 Amp (SL, SR) Paradigm 90P Full Range Speakers with Powered Subwoofers, Paradigm CC Center Channel, Paradigm Mini Monitor Surrounds, Sony KDL46XBR9 Monitor

Thanks JMotzi! Ordering it right now. Should be there Friday night, and I will be arriving at my parents' place this weekend to set it up. This should be fun. The current audio system is Lenovo laptop (JRiver/Jplay) --> PS Audio Perfectwave MKII. I think the HAP-Z1ES will be a step up in sound quality, and more importantly for my parents it seems much easier to use.

How long does it take to update the database? I just transferred about 290GB of music (about 7500 files) to my dad's HAP-Z1ES. Initially, there was a number next to the two-arrow spinning icon, and it counted down. Then the number disappeared and now it's just the spinning icon. This has been happening for a few hours. Everything still works fine, and I can still play music.

How long does it take to update the database? I just transferred about 290GB of music (about 7500 files) to my dad's HAP-Z1ES. Initially, there was a number next to the two-arrow spinning icon, and it counted down. Then the number disappeared and now it's just the spinning icon. This has been happening for a few hours. Everything still works fine, and I can still play music.

Update: I left it on overnight and now the spinning icon has been replaced with a question mark. What does it mean? Do I have to rescan the hard drive?

The question mark isn't necessarily a bad thing. It means that the system has not finished analyzing the files. See bottom of page 45 of the instructions: "standby for the transfer (unanalyzed content remains)" I have had this happen when there has been a momentary dropping of the Internet connection--it doesn't automatically reconnect. Be certain you see the connection icon in the upper right of the screen (works best with a wired connection) Review the connection symbols on p. 45. It may help to have the unit set to enable network standby. Don't be in a hurry to rescan. Hope this helps! My first post here!

I had the question mark show up the last time I tried to transfer high res files over Wifi. The user guide doesn't appear to explain what the question mark means. However, it appears there was apparently a dropout in the Wifi transmission and the transfer and file analysis didn't take for all the files. My router presents a strong signal to the HAP-Z1ES, but I have found the wireless transfer of files to be unreliable even for just a few albums. Since I don't have a LAN connection in the room where the HAP-Z1ES is, my solution was to uninstall it and connect it directly wired to my router to get it synced up correctly. I deleted the set of albums I had tried to transfer wirelessly, but may have not needed to do that.

The question mark isn't necessarily a bad thing. It means that the system has not finished analyzing the files. See bottom of page 45 of the instructions: "standby for the transfer (unanalyzed content remains)" I have had this happen when there has been a momentary dropping of the Internet connection--it doesn't automatically reconnect. Be certain you see the connection icon in the upper right of the screen (works best with a wired connection) Review the connection symbols on p. 45. It may help to have the unit set to enable network standby. Don't be in a hurry to rescan. Hope this helps! My first post here!

I didn't notice the explanation of the icon in the instruction manual. Thanks for point that out :)

I used wired connection for the initial transfers (much faster) and have been connected to the router directly using Ethernet cable for the past few days. I do see the connection icon (looks normal).

I had the question mark show up the last time I tried to transfer high res files over Wifi. The user guide doesn't appear to explain what the question mark means. However, it appears there was apparently a dropout in the Wifi transmission and the transfer and file analysis didn't take for all the files. My router presents a strong signal to the HAP-Z1ES, but I have found the wireless transfer of files to be unreliable even for just a few albums. Since I don't have a LAN connection in the room where the HAP-Z1ES is, my solution was to uninstall it and connect it directly wired to my router to get it synced up correctly. I deleted the set of albums I had tried to transfer wirelessly, but may have not needed to do that.

I think the HAP-Z1ES wasn't able to analyze some of albums I have. Or maybe it's still analyzing? I will leave it on for now (it's also doing burn-in) and see what happens in the next few days.

About the burn-in process, I've noticed that initially, the bass was very prominent, there was a treble rolloff, and the soundstage was narrow. After about 50 hours, the sound opened up and sounds more balanced. I plan to burn-in for about 200 hours. Hope it will continue to improve.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Members. Its my first post here.

I have got about 1500 cd that I need to digitise into Flac and MP3.

I Brought a nimbie cd ripper recently and plan to use it with Dbpoweramp batch ripper.

To go thru 1500cd is a big task, bigger task if not setting up and doing it properly, therefore would like to ask a few questions and advices from existing sony hap-z1es owners.

1. Should I prepare all my albums flac files with correct metatadata and cover art on the pc prior to import into z1es?

2. If an album folder have no metadata and cover art. Is z1es able to look it up via Gracenote?

3. If using hap remote app to edit metatdata, cover art, creating playlists on z1es etc. Could the internal hd be mirrored or backup with all the edited info, so to allow if the interal 1tb hd ever need replacing, than simply copy all the backup back to the new hd so everything to appears the way it was?

4. Does it require network for the hdd remote android app to operate the z1es unit, could the tablet be setup as a wifi hotspot to communicate with z1es such controlling the play list?

5. Assuming every cd is full, can 1TB store all 1500cd of flac files with all metadata and cover art of 600x600 pixels

Has anyone got any news or rumours about a new version of hap-z1(2)es?

Thankyou in advance

5. Assuming every cd is full, can 1TB store all 1500cd of flac files with all metadata and cover art of 600x600 pixels

Thankyou in advance

Welcome to CA Jaydee384!

I won't comment on the other points since they can be covered by HAP owners, but be careful on the cover art. There are two methods that applications pick up the cover art. One is the cover art is encoded into the music file itself, the other is to include a jpg, called folder.jpg or cover.jpg in the root of the folder where all the other tracks from the album reside.

You can encode a jpg into the file, but the larger they become, problems occur with players in that they have diffculty in extracting large picture files. By all means download a 1MB+ picture file in the root of the folder, those apps will pick up the higher res photo no problems.

Keep the encoded cover art in the FLAC file small, like 64kb or less.

No real need to produce MP3 when there are more and more portable players that can playback FLAC.

1500 CDs at an average of 15 tracks/CD is over the limit on the HPA-Z1ES database which is 20,000.

On the HAP-Z2ES, what have *you* heard? This device is out now for more than 12 months, but less than two years, so the chances of a newer model is higher now than before. Check out phileweb.com for latest news on Sony or any other product from Japan.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I'm rather new at this, also, but might provide some insights. With regard to 1.: The more data you provide, the less is the likelihood that you'll have to edit the results as processed by Gracenote. But the system is quite good utilizing Gracenote. 2: If you provide no metadata at all, the results can be unpredictable. 3: NOT LIKELY Somewhere in the documentation it is stated that edited info will be lost if you have to perform a rescan of the database, and I doubt that the edited versions will appear in a back up. I plan to verify this in a day or so. NOTE: that as of today (yesterday, actually) all three components of the system ( the HDD remote, the HAP transfer program, and the HAPZ1ES unit itself) have new UPDATED software

Thankyou for advice. I will definitely looking for more help how best to setup dbpoweramp on ripping and organising all flac files and album of flacs with metadata and cover art. I just want to do it right first time. Is it possible to setup playlists prior to transfer files to sony?

Sony normally update their hifi and av gears within 2 year, it probably take me 3 to 5 month to digitise all my cds so i will wait a while and hope sony will announce a new update or a new version of the z1es. Nothing worst than hearing new version coming out when you just brought the current version.

Cheers