IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

Does any one know the maximum size limit for an external drive? I have been using a 2TB WD with no problems but when I tried a Seagate 4TB drive, the HAP said that it formatted OK but then stated the external drive had "--" capacity and was unavailable. Thanks for any info...

"The main problem with communication is the illusion that it has been achieved"

Auralic Aries & Vega / Pass Labs XP-30 / DSPeaker 2.0 / Pass Labs XA160.5 / mbl 101E mk2

• 1 month later...

I have a seemingly unique problem that I have not seen anywhere here as of yet.

with about 25,000 files all my album art appears in all lists but does not appear in the 'now playing' window! This problem doesn't appear to be unique to my collection as the same thing happens with the Sony's radio station icons- they appear in list form but not in the playing window. Tech support seems sympathetic as they do call occasionally but ineffective with a solution.

any ideas?

with about 25,000 files all my album art appears in all lists but does not appear in the 'now playing' window! This problem doesn't appear to be unique to my collection as the same thing happens with the Sony's radio station icons- they appear in list form but not in the playing window. Tech support seems sympathetic as they do call occasionally but ineffective with a solution.

any ideas?

I heard it's the ghosts of Salming and Sundin that were upset about not using an SSD -

Swedish Super Disk! ;)

On a more serious note, have you tried to re-scan your library?

25k objects is not really a lot but it seems might be a lot more than they had in their use case when designing the product, i.e. typical SW bug where a buffer or an array is limited to a fix number and it was to small.

I had a problem with this and it was because I was using a USB powered 2TB hard drive. You should note that Sony only guarantee's perfect operation for 20,000 songs max. I was constantly having issues with mine as I had 56,000 songs on it and it constantly froze up and I had to rescan the whole library... I returned the item because of this (this info is only mentioned in one place on Sony's website, kinda like they want to hide this fact.) I will definitely really consider purchasing again if this 20,000 limited is revised to unlimited or even 200,000 (but nothing less), as it did sound really great.

any ideas?

Is it both the front panel and the app that do not show artwork? If just the app, try un- and re-installing the app. This worked for me when new music was being added but not seen, not the same but...

Auralic Aries & Vega / Pass Labs XP-30 / DSPeaker 2.0 / Pass Labs XA160.5 / mbl 101E mk2

Is it both the front panel and the app that do not show artwork? If just the app, try un- and re-installing the app. This worked for me when new music was being added but not seen, not the same but...

Thanks. But the artwork fails to appear on everything- ipad/iPhone app as well as the front panel display of the Z1. It was suggested (above- sorry, I'd like to thank that person but will lose all my typing here if I leave this screen on iPad) that I do a rescan which I will do tonight.

If that fails I tripped across this in the Sony troubleshoot section and would appreciate feedback from anyone who has an opinion about doing this next step-

[h=2]Using the Clear Database function or the Reset to Default Settings function (Special Mode)

If a problem with the HDD AUDIO PLAYER cannot be solved using the troubleshooting instructions, you can perform the [special Mode] function.[/h]

• During standby mode, press souni_power.png while pressing HOME.The Special Mode screen appears.

• Select [Clear Database] or [Reset to Default Settings].After [Clear Database] or [Reset to Default Settings] is completed, restart the HDD AUDIO PLAYER according to the instructions that appear in the display.

[h=4]Details of displayed items[/h]Clear Database:This function clears the registered information but does not format the hard disk drive. After the database is cleared, rescan the hard disk drive. Although the hard disk drive may seem to be empty after the database is cleared, the content (music data) still remains on the hard disk drive. Rescan the hard disk drive to restore and display the content information.Reset to Default Settings:This function resets all the settings and restores the factory default settings.Restart:This function exits the Special Mode and restarts the HDD AUDIO PLAYER.Thanks everyone!

Thanks Johann my Swiss friend (too bad about that hockey game last week, eh?!)(I have family in Aeschi and love to tease them as well re hockey- they all seem to be Sundin fans too!).

am trying a rescan tonight as per your suggestion.

Yeah well, next year... :)

I do live in Switzerland, however I am born and raised in Sweden.

So I have 3 teams to support in national games, Sweden, Canada and Switzerland.

They're crazy about hockey here to and the level is getting quite decent.

Enormous progress the last 10 years.

Hope the re-scan helps but if it really is limited to max 20k songs, I'm afraid it might not help.

• 2 weeks later...

Johann's suggestion tO do a rescan was helpful- it did result in now seeing more but sadly only a handful. This is no reflection on Johann, but perhaps on Sony who has been totally ineffective in tech supporting this problem.

i cut and pasted a 'reset' option above and wonder if anyone has any input into me trying this next?

and sorry Johann, our Canadian Juniors won the Gold...

I've been enjoying my HAP-Z1ES since November. Also have the issue with the 20,000 track limitation. Mine will accept more than 20,000 tracks but the database becomes unstable above that point. Things I noticed were that above the 20,000 track level cover art would not carry over from the original tagged files. And, of greater concern was that files imported after the 20,000 limit seemed to be occasionally randomly delinked from the associated album. The only solution I could think of was to remove enough tracks to get down to around 18,000 tracks on the unit with room left over for growth. Works perfectly that way. I am using primarily WAV files that are tagged in JRiver, and am a bit of a cover art fanatic so any hiccups in that area bother me. I am also using high res FLAC and WAV files to a limited extent. Below 20,000 tracks no problems. Also found that the 1TB drive is sufficient storage space for the amount of tracks I am using even though most are in WAV format.

Apart from that issue, I have been enjoying my HAP-Z1ES immensely in its unmodified form. The sound quality is considerably better than any CD player or standalone DAC I have used before. Information here and in other places encouraged me to buy one.

Just to note another experience, I have a 4TB external drive with 1.8TB of FLAC, AIF and DSF. Over 25,000 tracks and growing. No issues so far.

The cover art is not actually in the WAV, right? Maybe that is part of the problem.

Hi all! Firstly, I'd like to thank the people in this thread for all the helpful information everyone has provided - I purchased the unit last month thanks in part to the discussion I read here (and I am extremely happy with everything about it so far)~

I had two quick questions:

- someone may have mentioned this in an earlier post, but I have found it isn't necessary to use the music transfer app itself to move music to the player - on my mac i tried just copying an album folder over to the correct directory on the HAP and it copied over and the unit picked it up perfectly - is that anyone else's experience? (i suppose that would mean the only real benefit of the app is being able to setup auto-monitoring of specific folders so you don't have to do it by hand - otherwise, the app itself doesn't seem needed for adding music to the player)

- has anyone come across the new network player from CA announced at CES? i understand it isn't an apples to oranges comparison, but there is some overlap in functionality, so i was curious what people here thought of it?

Azur 851N - Flagship network player | Cambridge Audio

thanks everyone!

Further to the above, yes my Swiss friend(?) was right. Missing cover art when playing was partially restored after a rescan. Johann suspect was correct that things get unstable once we get over 20,000 files.

My question is can I simply drag and drop files from the internal drive to the attached external to get below 20,000 and then do a rescan?

20,000 track limitation? If that's real, I couldn't see myself owning one.

Ensure all you images are embedded in the tracks meta data. Manage your library on your computer with BLISS or other metadata software, then upload it to the HAPZ1ES.

It seems to be a real limitation, and is what keeps me from buying one. (*sigh*) Why do audio companies come out with something this good only to severely limit it for the audiophile market?

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Facepalm, 1TB /20,000 songs = 50MB song? That's pretty much a shot in the foot for High Resolution Audio, whats that a CD quality track size?

Depends upon the song length of course - uncompressed anywhere from 35-65mb per track. ALAC/FLAC is about half that, though compression may or may not affect playback sound quality. I tend to store PCM in AIFF files because storage is cheap. :)

DSD is larger of course - 120mb to > 300mb per track.

As an example, the Carpenter's Singles album is 440m in AIF and 3.7gb in DSD.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Over 25,000 tracks (1.8TB) on external drive with no issues for me, just another experience...

My problem was having loaded my 32,000 files to the internal and an added external HD I ended up with album artwork appearing but never in the 'now playing' window. Thanks to Johann's suggestion I did split my files and loaded about 19,000 to the internal and now have everything running perfectly. Now am in the process of adding the leftover files.

the main point here is that it does seem that exceeding Sony's limitation to 20,000 files does make the loading process unstable.

This is a great forum with great input from its members. Thank you all!