IGNORED

Article: Chord Electronics QuteHD Review

Sounds like a JRIver install problem. I run exactly the same (but WS2012 in GUI mode on controlpc) and have zero issues (JRIver 19, Chord Qute EX). I'd take this up on the JRIver tips and techniques thread.

Thanks for the reply. Which is your exact JRiver version number?

Hey Ted, it's been over a month since your last comment on the Qute EX. I sold my DAC based on your review of the HD, now waiting for the update on the EX, and now the Hugo is coming into the picture.

When do you think you will be able to complete your thoughts on the EX and are you still getting the Hugo? I need to get a DAC. Thanks

Tubegem, I comment on the EX almost every post. I have already said it does DSD better than the HD, has less differences between USB and the SPDIF input (at least with unpowered clean USB signal) and has no real downside to the HD except cost. And yes, I posted a few days ago that I pulled the trigger on the Hugo and that it was coming in the 4th US shipment, likely early May.

Tubegem, I comment on the EX almost every post. I have already said it does DSD better than the HD, has less differences between USB and the SPDIF input (at least with unpowered clean USB signal) and has no real downside to the HD except cost. And yes, I posted a few days ago that I pulled the trigger on the Hugo and that it was coming in the 4th US shipment, likely early May.

Sorry Ted. I have read all of your comments. With the "stay tuned.." I thought the comments were updates along the journey with a more detailed review with the Hydra etc yet to come. I have no way of auditioning a Chord, so your the man.

So, on a mostly red book cd collection with some hi-rez CPM and wanting to get into DSD, the Qute EX would fill the bill nicely compare to the competition?

Hi Ted,

thanks a lot for this reviewing the QuteHD and now the EX (and soon the Hugo). I was also eager to know your further thoughts about how HD and EX compare, but thought you might still be in the process of comparing them. Anyway, since your latest post covered pretty much all my concerns...

I have already said it does DSD better than the HD

Didn't you (or someone else here in CA) mention that the better DSD could be a result not of the HD=>EX hardware upgrade, but actually of Chord's new driver, which would improve the DSD quality in both DACs maybe to the exact same level?

has less differences between USB and the SPDIF input

But there's still a difference, right... And noticeable with a not too expensive converter? So you think investing in the USB/SPDIF converter (maybe one of the better ones) would still be something to consider with the EX?

(at least with unpowered clean USB signal)

I'm sure you mentioned it already, but would you mind repeating how you get an unpowered clean USB signal? Or of course if you would have any different suggestion...

Well, that's all. Thanks again, and now let's wait for the Hugo -- and maybe a new Chordette DAC with Hugo specs we can upgrade our HDs and EXs from...

Thanks folks....I guess I do need to do a new addendum to summarize all my thoughts. Will do. Aloso I've been chatting with Rob Watts (Chord), the developer/designer, so I''ll add his comments too. Look for a new addendum over the weekend most likely.

Hey Ted..... I need to visit and audition your Timepieces one day. New to forum but wanted clarification. Reviewing an Audio Beat interview with Robert, he disses external power supplies, says the internal filtering, noise shaping, and over sampling are more than capable inherent to his design. Question, with those implementing LPS types, are you "better" experiences based on a higher level of resolution or simply a "different" sound ?

Also in this article Rob mentions the SPIDIF input was 384 capable in the base HD model. I don't have such files, is this true ?

Finally, what are the merits and process for simply updating the HD for Mavericks hi Rez PCM ?

thanks guys, great forum

Thanks folks....I guess I do need to do a new addendum to summarize all my thoughts. Will do. Aloso I've been chatting with Rob Watts (Chord), the developer/designer, so I''ll add his comments too. Look for a new addendum over the weekend most likely.

Ted... If it's not too much hassle if you post an addendum on the original article can you also post it as a separate entry on the thread so we all (okay so I) notice it!

Thanks

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hey Ted..... I need to visit and audition your Timepieces one day. New to forum but wanted clarification. Reviewing an Audio Beat interview with Robert, he disses external power supplies, says the internal filtering, noise shaping, and over sampling are more than capable inherent to his design. Question, with those implementing LPS types, are you "better" experiences based on a higher level of resolution or simply a "different" sound ?

Also in this article Rob mentions the SPIDIF input was 384 capable in the base HD model. I don't have such files, is this true ?

Finally, what are the merits and process for simply updating the HD for Mavericks hi Rez PCM ?

thanks guys, great forum

OK, just downloaded Mavericks USB driver from Chord site. QUTE HD does not recognize the input, though it cycles to find an input, it does not 'see' the USB, the LED is not lit up. Maverick software is up to date.

Coax,

I don't own Timepieces, I own the larger Continuums (as center and rears) and a pair of largest Revelations (as main), all custom'd up with Mundorf crossovers, etc.

The Hynes ps into the HD (or EX) adds significant heft and weight, not just a different sound. Yes, the HD has an SPDIF capable of 384k (as does the EX, of course). The more difficult issues are to find lots of music there (2L's DXD,e tc) and to find an USB/SPDIF converter that outputs 384k (a few, not many).

I'm not a MAa, let alone Mavericks, guy. Someone else needs to help here.

Having some technical difficulty getting the EX summary addendum up, but I'm done with it and it should be there tmrw (I've an email into Chris after trying a couple times unsuccessfully).

Sounds like a JRIver install problem. I run exactly the same (but WS2012 in GUI mode on controlpc) and have zero issues (JRIver 19, Chord Qute EX). I'd take this up on the JRIver tips and techniques thread.

Ted,

can you please provide me an additional piece of information? Are you using Kernel Streaming or WASAPI in JRiver controlpc for Qute Ex? I made some experiments this morning, I converted to GUI mode in Win 2012, and with WASAPI there is no problem in pausing; it's Kernel streaming that has the problem. What happens is that when I press pause in WASAPI JRiver retains exclusive access of Qute EX and is able to continue playing, whereas in Kernel Streaming when I pause access goes away from JRiver USB input(another input starts playing), and the software then hangs. This behaviour happens irrespective of the JRiver version.

Thanks in advance,

Ari.

Ted,

can you please provide me an additional piece of information? Are you using Kernel Streaming or WASAPI in JRiver controlpc for Qute Ex? I made some experiments this morning, I converted to GUI mode in Win 2012, and with WASAPI there is no problem in pausing; it's Kernel streaming that has the problem. What happens is that when I press pause in WASAPI JRiver retains exclusive access of Qute EX and is able to continue playing, whereas in Kernel Streaming when I pause access goes away from JRiver USB input(another input starts playing), and the software then hangs. This behaviour happens irrespective of the JRiver version.

Thanks in advance,

Ari.

Sorry, it's obvious that you use ASIO. Sorry about the question..

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to update this HD review thread by saying that I completely forgot to give kudos to Mike Kay, Audio Archon (Chicago, IL) for loaning me the Berkeley USB converter for the review. Mike is one of the best audio dealers I've ever encountered, and if you are anywhere in his region give him a call.

I tried to get the Berkeley for my follow up (upcoming) Hugo review but Mike informs me that his demo unit was sold and he's waiting for more units (and the new Reference DAC) from Berkeley. Since I do not have the luxury of waiting until a new unit arrives and then is properly broken in I will be getting an Audiophileo converter instead, from Philip himself. Many CA readers have asked that I try the AP1 (or AP2) with the Hugo, so we will do our best to make that happen.

I will be getting an Audiophileo converter instead, from Philip himself. Many CA readers have asked that I try the AP1 (or AP2) with the Hugo, so we will do our best to make that happen.

Very interested in finding out how the Audiophilleo compares to the Matrix.

+1

and Ted, if possible please try the AP with the Qutes (HD and EX) as well...

Would really like to hear your thoughts.

thanks,

mario

Will do. The HD is gone, but I have the EX, yes. And will compare to Matrix, too. But AP2 is 2x and AP1 is 4x the $$ so no surprises should be in order.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Well, the Hydra-X+ indeed arrived Saturday, and I've had it in for two days. It is a very nice sounding converter (I'm running it BNC-to-BNC using a Black Cat) but it's not properly broken in yet. Also, I am communicating with Nicolae on a firmware or driver issue (DSD music has its channels swapped). Stay tuned. All will be worked out.

Question to you Chord owners: ahs anyone seen or found a Linux driver for the Qute series? I ask for two reasons:

1) I might play around with Daphile (Linux player) and currently I'd need to run the Hydra or Matric to be Linux friendly;

2) I will be evaluating the Auralic Aries, and it looks for a Linux friendly DAC back end (again, I;m fine but only if I use the aforementioned converters in front of the EX).

Hello.

I'm new to this forum bu I think I can help with this.

I'm a (very) happy owner of a Chord Qute EX and a long time user of XBMC on top of Linux (usually Ubuntu).

As soon as I got the QuteEX for evaluation at my home system, I've e-mailed Chord asking for a Linux driver and they promptly sent me this link, which has the driver for the QuteEX:

https://github.com/dubbycheong/snd-usb-asyncaudio/tree/ForChordEX

Apparently it only works with 32 bits kernels and kernel has to be version 3.13.x.x (at least, I've tried to compile it under 3.14 but it didn't work). Using that kernel compiling is just the usual make which will create a usb"something".ko and after you just have to insmod that file et voilá, you have the Chord in your linux machine.

As of now, I don't think DSD support is available in Linux, but all other formats are sent "bit-perfectly" to the DAC using XBMC as "a source": red light no top of the DAC for normal Red Book CDs; a kind of red meets green :-) for 16bits/48khz; a kind of red meets green meets something :-) for 24bits/88khz; green for 24/96; blue for 24/198 and a "kind of white" for 24/382 which is what Kodi (former XMBC) is sending to the DAC whenever I play .dsf or .dff files.

The sound is just amazing, life-like with great extension from top to bottom (as one would expect at this price range) but what led me to this choice was the hability to capture the "soul" of the performer, independent of the format being fed to him.

Just for the record, I've had an HRT MusicStreammer II, then an Ifi Micro I-DAC and the Chord was compared to an Ifi Micro DSD, but the sound from the Chord was much better than the Ifi gear, I had no choice but to keep it.

Hope I helped.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks Ted for this complete review, I own a Chord Qute HD and really enjoy when hearing the PCM files, I play them with Foobar2000 with Wasapi or KS and a USB cable Ultraviolet 7, the problem comes when I try to hear DSD files or a SACD ISO, the sound is poor and not good and the light that shows the DAC is orange so not what it should be. I have installed the ASIO driver but my Chord seems not to be compatible as it doesn't show in the Device List or ASIO drivers. I have contacted Chord and they kindly answered me:

"We only support DSD playing via DoP in all our products. This still gives native DSD playback but the files are just transmitted in a PCM carrier."

So finally my question is if it is possible to reproduce DSD files, as DoP (DSD Over PCM) via the SPDIF input (via USB converter), and in that case wich USB converter (with an affordable price) you think would work better, or what else can I do to get a better sound. Thanks again for your knowledge and this interesting review I really enjoyed reading, hope you can help me with this issue, cheers ...