IGNORED

Dirac has more sane pricing for stereo option

wgscott - I see you are trying DRC on the Mac. Is there an AU plugin you are doing the final correction with?

Not that I know of. I haven't gotten that far.

If anyone has figured out any pathway between (eg) REW and a Mac OSX-compatable AU plugin, I would really like to know.

I'm pretty much ready to give up.

Richard,

Pricing for standalone and upgrades are showing on the Sonic Studio's online store.

Amarra Symphony with iRC $789.00

Amarra Upgrade to Amarra Symphony with IRC $560..00

Amarra Hifi Upgrade to Amarra Symphony with IRC $749.00

Did not List Amarra Symphony to Amarra Symphony with IRC ??????

Hello ckpiv,

Precisely my point. I do not know yet what it costs to add iRC to Amarra Symphony. But that will soon be announced.

Was merely taking notice that iRC or Dirac's program is available through Sonic Studio in connection with their player. How iRC performs is yet to be discovered, but I imagine a review is imminent ; >}

Best,

Richard

What I mean is I want to take the measurements from REW and create an AU plugin.

Why not just run export filter impulse response from REW and run it in convolution engine of player of your choice? That's what I'm doing...

Creating AU plugin would destroy determinism of the processing path. Which is what you want with an audiophile player anyway?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I'm going to be trying this out for 2Channel head to head against Accourate.

Tried Audiolense. Very weird results.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

We have just released a new version of the Dirac Live Room Correction Suite. We call it the Stereo Version and it is available at a lower price point than the original version.

This new version is based on the same high performance sound optimization as the Full Version, with the main difference that it supports only 2-channels (two speakers).

As a previous trial user, we now offer you a 20 % introductory discount of this new product.

To redeem your discount, simply enter the following reference code at checkout: StereoVersion

The offer is valid until Sunday, September 22, 2013.

I can't get this to work with Audirvana in iTunes-integrated mode, or I would probably pull the trigger in frustration at the lack of a clear alternative at this point.

I want to take the measurements from REW and create an AU plugin.

Before computer audio became widespread, older versions of REW were intended primarily to compute parametric EQ parameters for Behringer parametric EQ hardware. The current version of REW retains the capability of computing optimum parametric EQ settings. See the REW user guide under "EQ Window" and "EQ Filters Panel".

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

I do understand that. The question is how audible is the phase/timing correction? In other words, is brain-dead equalization good enough?

In my setup it makes a huge difference with a much better defined stereo image. I also think the phase/timing correction makes the bass response tighter but I can not confirm that because you can not switch off the impulse response correction without switching off the frequency response correction either.

OT, allthough in absolute terms it seems a lot of money, I have never experienced such a cheap audio upgrade but that depends of course on your loudspeakers and listening room.

EAC -> FLAC -> Oyen Digital miniPro 2TB -> USB -> Lenovo ThinkPad X200 WIN XP -> Dirac Live Room Correction Suite -> AlbumPlayer -> Audioquest USB cable -> Hegel H100 DAC & amplifier -> 2.5mm copper -> AVI Trio loudspeakers

I'm using it (the trial convolver) now in iTunes-integrated mode with BitPerfect.

For some reason, Audirvana won't work with it in iTunes-integrated mode (with all the obvious "direct" stuff turned off), although it will in stand-alone player mode. I think if it played well with Audirvana, I would buy it. Maybe I will anyway. I have until Sunday.

• 4 weeks later...

DIRAC is worth every penny. I've tried the other full range target based correction software. I also came up with some very fine filters using REW. DIRAC is really better. The thing that made me hit the buy button was how DIRAC handles HF transients. HF transients sound totally unmolested. It's a very natural result with no downside that I can hear.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

DIRAC is worth every penny. I've tried the other full range target based correction software. I also came up with some very fine filters using REW. DIRAC is really better. The thing that made me hit the buy button was how DIRAC handles HF transients. HF transients sound totally unmolested. It's a very natural result with no downside that I can hear.

That's a very encouraging endorsement.

I also have to now admit that I was totally wrong about my previously held views about full range target DSP. There's no question it's viable. I think part of the reason DIRAC works so well is the measurement process; 9 measurements is killer.

I am now curious whether an even better mic can yield better results. I would love to hear about other folks' experience here. I am using one of Herb's emm-6 with premium .frd file for 90 degree angle. I think DIRAC took the .frd calibration file even though the manual says it takes .txt cal files.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

I also have to now admit that I was totally wrong about my previously held views about full range target DSP. There's no question it's viable. I think part of the reason DIRAC works so well is the measurement process; 9 measurements is killer.

I am now curious whether an even better mic can yield better results. I would love to hear about other folks' experience here. I am using one of Herb's emm-6 with premium .frd file for 90 degree angle. I think DIRAC took the .frd calibration file even though the manual says it takes .txt cal files.

I think that your Dayton EMM-6 with 90° calibration (I like the vertical mike positioning) is perfectly adequate for DRC measurements and that you'll not get better results from a more expensive microphone.

As far as the calibration files that are accepted by Dirac the .frd file is a text file even if the suffix is different so I think you are right... here I'm enclosing a link for those who could be interested in calibration file compatibility:

Calibration files for Dirac Live

You are also right about the nine measurements... they are a essential for the algorithm to perform its "magic"

:) Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Before computer audio became widespread, older versions of REW were intended primarily to compute parametric EQ parameters for Behringer parametric EQ hardware. The current version of REW retains the capability of computing optimum parametric EQ settings. See the REW user guide under "EQ Window" and "EQ Filters Panel".

Yesss... that's right, but the limitations of traditional minimum-phase parametric equalizers are explained in the REW's site here:

Why%20Can%27t%20I%20Fix%20All%20my%20Acoustic%20Problems%20with%20EQ?]Home Theater Forum - Home Theater Systems - HomeTheaterShack"]Why can't I fix all my acoustic problems with EQ?

Ciao, Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Flavio,

Thanks for the info. Of course, I am a hopeless audiophile as well as a music lover. I talked to a couple do the "wise guys" and they thought an earthworks m23 or m30 is worth a try. I ordered one. :-)

I don't expect I'll really need the earthworks .txt calibration file. In the event I want to use it, earthworks only provides cal files that are the inverse of the mic's FR. That is, the file only contains the correction. DIRAC can't use a file of this type, right?

Michael.

I think that your Dayton EMM-6 with 90° calibration (I like the vertical mike positioning) is perfectly adequate for DRC measurements and that you'll not get better results from a more expensive microphone.

As far as the calibration files that are accepted by Dirac the .frd file is a text file even if the suffix is different so I think you are right... here I'm enclosing a link for those who could be interested in calibration file compatibility:

Calibration files for Dirac Live

You are also right about the nine measurements... they are a essential for the algorithm to perform its "magic"

:) Flavio

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Flavio,

Thanks for the info. Of course, I am a hopeless audiophile as well as a music lover. I talked to a couple do the "wise guys" and they thought an earthworks m23 or m30 is worth a try. I ordered one. :-)

I don't expect I'll really need the earthworks .txt calibration file. In the event I want to use it, earthworks only provides cal files that are the inverse of the mic's FR. That is, the file only contains the correction. DIRAC can't use a file of this type, right?

Michael.

Earthworks mics are a very good choice... and as wgscott has just posted you only have to reverse the sign in the list of dB values in the text file

Enjoy your new mic :)

Flavio

So, if all the signs in the .txt file are negative, I need to delete the negative sign and replace it with a plus (+) sign or just delete the negative sign and leave it?

I attached the file I got from Earthworks.m23 correction values.txt

Earthworks mics are a very good choice... and as wgscott has just posted you only have to reverse the sign in the list of dB values in the text file

Enjoy your new mic :)

Flavio

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX